Old February 14th 20, 03:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft ladder - limited height in loft and small hatch

I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200. I reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and down as you use them which can be unnerving!

Old February 14th 20, 03:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Murmansk writes
I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm
square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200. I
reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and
down as you use them which can be unnerving!

Seems reasonable sort of space. Ours is telescopic It pivots flat as you
push it up into the loft so no great height needed.
--
bert
Old February 14th 20, 04:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 14:19, Murmansk wrote:
I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200. I reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and down as you use them which can be unnerving!

I've climbed hundreds of loft ladders. With no prior knowledge of their
safety I always bounce up and down and sway about violently whilst still
on a low rung.

Bill
Old February 14th 20, 04:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a concertina one, had it for over 20 years. Still OK but at first I
was a bit distrustful since it does feel squishy even with the catches
engaged. I would say though that you need quite a bit of effort to
concertina it and hook it back in the right place or it can come and hit you
on the head. However I guess if its only going to be used by fit tradesmen
or whatever its fine. Lofts are filthy places, so no matter what you do just
opening the hatch filed the landing with grit dead spiders and almost
anything else it seems.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old February 14th 20, 04:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I generally feel all ladders should have a warning appended to them, no
disco or break dancing on higher rungs.
Bit like peanut butter containers having may contain nut products on the
side.
Brian

--
----- --

Old February 14th 20, 04:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 15:02, williamwright wrote:
On 14/02/2020 14:19, Murmansk wrote:
I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm
square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200.
I reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and
down as you use them which can be unnerving!

I've climbed hundreds of loft ladders. With no prior knowledge of their
safety I always bounce up and down and sway about violently whilst still
on a low rung.

Bill

Which part of your anatomy is doing that though ?.
Old February 14th 20, 07:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200. I reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and down as you use them which can be unnerving!

Mine is a sliding 3-section aluminium, it pivots flat as it raises
through the hatch, don't suppose it exceeds 65cm height (don't think
I've ever been in loft with the ladder "up" though), provided you have
the room for it to lay more or less flat
Old February 14th 20, 07:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Murmansk wrote:

I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm
square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200. I
reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and down
as you use them which can be unnerving!

Mine is a sliding 3-section aluminium, it pivots flat as it raises through
the hatch, don't suppose it exceeds 65cm height (don't think I've ever
been in loft with the ladder "up" though), provided you have the room for
it to lay more or less flat

Is 65 cm the maximum storage height or the maximum headroom? Many ladders
need to extend vertically above the hatch by almost the length of one
section as they are being pushed up, before then pivoting so they are
horizontal.

Old February 14th 20, 08:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 15:55, Andrew wrote:
On 14/02/2020 15:02, williamwright wrote:
On 14/02/2020 14:19, Murmansk wrote:
I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm
square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200.
I reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and
down as you use them which can be unnerving!

I've climbed hundreds of loft ladders. With no prior knowledge of
their safety I always bounce up and down and sway about violently
whilst still on a low rung.

Bill

Which part of yourÂ* anatomy is doing that though ?.

All of it, in perfect and elegant synchronisation.

Bill
Old February 14th 20, 09:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Is 65 cm the maximum storage height or the maximum headroom? Many ladders
need to extend vertically above the hatch by almost the length of one
section as they are being pushed up, before then pivoting so they are
horizontal.

65cm is the space between the floor of the loft and the beam above, having looked at the spec of ordinary 3 part loft ladders they need 75cm of headroom but once fully parked they probably only take up about 30cm in height.