Old February 15th 20, 03:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft ladder - limited height in loft and small hatch

"Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" wrote in message
I have a concertina one, had it for over 20 years. Still OK but at first I
was a bit distrustful since it does feel squishy even with the catches
engaged. I would say though that you need quite a bit of effort to
concertina it and hook it back in the right place or it can come and hit
you on the head. However I guess if its only going to be used by fit
tradesmen or whatever its fine. Lofts are filthy places, so no matter what
you do just opening the hatch filed the landing with grit dead spiders and
almost anything else it seems.

I'd be surprised if an elephant or unicorn dropped out.

"Murmansk" wrote in message
I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm
square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200. I
reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and down
as you use them which can be unnerving!

Old February 15th 20, 07:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 18:15, Andy Burns wrote:
Murmansk wrote:

I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm
square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200.
I reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and
down as you use them which can be unnerving!

Mine is a sliding 3-section aluminium, it pivots flat as it raises
through the hatch, don't suppose it exceeds 65cm height (don't think
I've ever been in loft with the ladder "up" though), provided you have
the room for it to lay more or less flat

Ditto here.

Works well.

Old February 15th 20, 07:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 18:38, NY wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Murmansk wrote:

I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm
square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200.
I reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and
down as you use them which can be unnerving!

Mine is a sliding 3-section aluminium, it pivots flat as it raises
through the hatch, don't suppose it exceeds 65cm height (don't think
I've ever been in loft with the ladder "up" though), provided you have
the room for it to lay more or less flat

Is 65 cm the maximum storage height or the maximum headroom? Many
ladders need to extend vertically above the hatch by almost the length
of one section as they are being pushed up, before then pivoting so they
are horizontal.

Not the one I have. the three sections drop down and then are extended.
Ther headroom is just to allow them to be rotated up through the hatch

65cm is a bit optimistic. Id say 800mm

twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Old February 15th 20, 09:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 February 2020 15:02:54 UTC, williamwright wrote:
On 14/02/2020 14:19, Murmansk wrote:
I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200. I reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and down as you use them which can be unnerving!

I've climbed hundreds of loft ladders. With no prior knowledge of their
safety I always bounce up and down and sway about violently whilst still
on a low rung.

Bill

Even ones that seem fine when stood on can still turn out to be a total hazard.
Old February 15th 20, 10:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 13:55:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

tradesmen or whatever its fine. Lofts are filthy places, so no matter what
you do just opening the hatch filed the landing with grit dead spiders and
almost anything else it seems.

I'd be surprised if an elephant or unicorn dropped out.

Does nobody realize what's the matter with this Arsetralian arsehole? tsk

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."