Old February 15th 20, 07:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 15:47, newshound wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

But it might be a naked one.

She might have it installed in her freezer, too

Old February 15th 20, 09:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 14/02/2020 19:30, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 14/02/2020 14:24, Jimk wrote:
simon mitchelmore Wrote in message:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

https://www.toolstation.com/2-hour-e...t-timer/p66796

This one is better

https://www.toolstation.com/bollockinthisbit/p66796

Marginally ;-)

You can do the same on most company links. Or even get rid of the ********.

https://www.toolstation.com/2-hour-e...t-timer/p66796

Er.... Mornington Crescent!!
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old February 15th 20, 11:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Mine isn;t particualr well insulated, the jacket was put on before
installation it seems so has fallen apart at the back.

Perhaps you need to find a qualified tech to replace it? ;-)

A poorly insulated hot water cylinder is a good way of wasting money.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 15th 20, 05:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

How about a button which turns the heater on only until the thermostat
switches?

Easily feasible of course, but does anyone make such a thing?

--
Cheers
Clive
Old February 15th 20, 06:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 16:28:03 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

How about a button which turns the heater on only until the thermostat
switches?

Easily feasible of course, but does anyone make such a thing?

Relays/contactors aren't hard to find.

NT

Old February 15th 20, 07:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 18:31:40 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/02/2020 17:49, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Put the relay coil in series with the load with a push button that
shunts the relay contacts. You switch it on with the button and the
current through the load keeps the contacts closed until the thermostat
cuts the current through the element.

Only downside of that setup is it takes all year to heat the tank
Put the coil across the load side & it'll work. I'd ensure that one of the stats is not bridged by the switch.

NT
Old February 15th 20, 08:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 17:39, John wrote:
simon mitchelmore wrote in
:

Is the thermostat set at a suitable temp so that consumption is
minimal if water is not being run off?

Good idea; I've already adjusted it up quite a lot but I might as well
max it out as a trial, I'll check it's not scalding.

I was more concerned that you may have it too high and be wasting energy.
The hotter it is = the greater the losses, but the less you use.

It is usual to leave it set at 60 centigrade. Too much higher can
be dangerous to an unsuspecting user.
Old February 15th 20, 08:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 23:20, Steve Walker wrote:
On 14/02/2020 17:39, John wrote:
simon mitchelmore wrote in
:

Is the thermostat set at a suitable temp so that consumption is
minimal if water is not being run off?

Good idea; I've already adjusted it up quite a lot but I might as well
max it out as a trial, I'll check it's not scalding.

I was more concerned that you may have it too high and be wasting energy.
The hotter it is = the greater the losses, but the less you use.

As the problem is caused by running out of hot water, getting it hotter
and so using less of it, may solve the problem.

SteveW

Is this flat in a hard water area though ?.
A timer that gives two periods of 30 mins per day, set to occur just
before the most common usage time, with a boost override might seem
a better idea.
Old February 15th 20, 08:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 16:27, Clive Arthur wrote:
[...]

If you had a cylinder lagged with the equivalent of 4 inches
of celotex (I believe you can get them), you could consider
leaving it on all the time, and use the stat to keep the
temperature at a slightly lower temp, like 50 C

Delay, DeLay Rex B Metalworking 0 April 5th 06 06:09 PM
Delay, DeLay Rex B Metalworking 0 April 4th 06 07:57 PM
OT - DeLay, DeLay [email protected] Metalworking 17 September 30th 05 03:04 PM
OT - Delay, Delay Cliff Metalworking 127 April 21st 05 10:06 AM
OT - Delay, Delay Steve Mackay Metalworking 3 April 9th 05 02:02 PM