DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Earthing through plastic pipe (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/644586-earthing-through-plastic-pipe.html)

TimW February 13th 20 09:59 PM

Earthing through plastic pipe

There was an ancient (1950s) steel pipe bringing mains water into my
house under the front room and then up in the cup'd under the stairs.
There there was a stop cock and it went into copper pipe and onto the
copper a large sleeved earth wire was connected with a tag on saying "Do
Not Remove".

The steel pipe was leaking so I have taken it all out and replaced with
blue plastic pipe. Was looking at the earth arrangement and wondering if
I need to earth the wiring in another way, into the ground or something,
or are we still earthed through the water in the plastic pipe out to the
outside world?

TW

[email protected] February 13th 20 10:24 PM

On Thursday, 13 February 2020 21:59:54 UTC, TimW wrote:
There was an ancient (1950s) steel pipe bringing mains water into my
house under the front room and then up in the cup'd under the stairs.
There there was a stop cock and it went into copper pipe and onto the
copper a large sleeved earth wire was connected with a tag on saying "Do
Not Remove".

The steel pipe was leaking so I have taken it all out and replaced with
blue plastic pipe. Was looking at the earth arrangement and wondering if
I need to earth the wiring in another way, into the ground or something,
or are we still earthed through the water in the plastic pipe out to the
outside world?

TW

Water is NOT an adequate earth. An old electrical install with no earth is not safe.

NT

TimW February 13th 20 10:35 PM

On 13/02/2020 22:24, wrote:
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 21:59:54 UTC, TimW wrote:
There was an ancient (1950s) steel pipe bringing mains water into my
house under the front room and then up in the cup'd under the stairs.
There there was a stop cock and it went into copper pipe and onto the
copper a large sleeved earth wire was connected with a tag on saying "Do
Not Remove".

The steel pipe was leaking so I have taken it all out and replaced with
blue plastic pipe. Was looking at the earth arrangement and wondering if
I need to earth the wiring in another way, into the ground or something,
or are we still earthed through the water in the plastic pipe out to the
outside world?

TW

Water is NOT an adequate earth. An old electrical install with no earth is not safe.

So what would be an adequate earth?
TW

TimW February 13th 20 10:43 PM

On 13/02/2020 22:24, wrote:
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 21:59:54 UTC, TimW wrote:
There was an ancient (1950s) steel pipe bringing mains water into my
house under the front room and then up in the cup'd under the stairs.
There there was a stop cock and it went into copper pipe and onto the
copper a large sleeved earth wire was connected with a tag on saying "Do
Not Remove".

The steel pipe was leaking so I have taken it all out and replaced with
blue plastic pipe. Was looking at the earth arrangement and wondering if
I need to earth the wiring in another way, into the ground or something,
or are we still earthed through the water in the plastic pipe out to the
outside world?

TW

Water is NOT an adequate earth. An old electrical install with no earth is not safe.

and because the pipework is earthed - that doesn't mean that the
incoming main is THE earth for the house, does it?

TW

alan_m February 13th 20 10:56 PM

On 13/02/2020 22:24, wrote:
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 21:59:54 UTC, TimW wrote:
There was an ancient (1950s) steel pipe bringing mains water into my
house under the front room and then up in the cup'd under the stairs.
There there was a stop cock and it went into copper pipe and onto the
copper a large sleeved earth wire was connected with a tag on saying "Do
Not Remove".

The steel pipe was leaking so I have taken it all out and replaced with
blue plastic pipe. Was looking at the earth arrangement and wondering if
I need to earth the wiring in another way, into the ground or something,
or are we still earthed through the water in the plastic pipe out to the
outside world?

TW

Water is NOT an adequate earth. An old electrical install with no earth is not safe.

Was it used as the earth or just a bonding point?

Robin February 13th 20 11:04 PM

On 13/02/2020 21:59, TimW wrote:
There was an ancient (1950s) steel pipe bringing mains water into my
house under the front room and then up in the cup'd under the stairs.
There there was a stop cock and it went into copper pipe and onto the
copper a large sleeved earth wire was connected with a tag on saying "Do
Not Remove".

The steel pipe was leaking so I have taken it all out and replaced with
blue plastic pipe. Was looking at the earth arrangement and wondering if
I need to earth the wiring in another way, into the ground or something,
or are we still earthed through the water in the plastic pipe out to the
outside world?

Depends :)

That may have been just bonding of the incoming metal water pipe. If so
there may be no need for it *if* you've now got all plastic. If not best
to attach the wire to where copper water pipe starts again to maintain
equipotential bonding. See

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...g#Main_Bonding

OTOH it may be - if it's an old house - the water pipe was part of (or
even all of!) the earthing for all your wiring. If so you may need
something to take its place - and PDQ if it was all you had.

Best place to start is what sort of earthing you have

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Earthing_Types

If you aren't sure post links to some pictures.

--
Robin

[email protected] February 13th 20 11:19 PM

On Thursday, 13 February 2020 22:35:57 UTC, TimW wrote:
On 13/02/2020 22:24, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

It depends on your install. Maybe an earth rod plus RCDs/RCBOs on all circuits. If your install uses the waterpipe as the main earth - which we can't be sure of at this point - it may have no RCD protection. Recommend posting a clear pic of the fusebox on here, plus the supplier's incomer.

As has been said it's also possible it's a modern install and the connection is just an equipotential bond. We don't know yet. The seriousness of having no earth and an old fusebox means show us pics without delay. Yes there may be earthing elsewhere too.

NT

John Rumm February 14th 20 03:42 AM

On 13/02/2020 21:59, TimW wrote:
There was an ancient (1950s) steel pipe bringing mains water into my
house under the front room and then up in the cup'd under the stairs.
There there was a stop cock and it went into copper pipe and onto the
copper a large sleeved earth wire was connected with a tag on saying "Do
Not Remove".

The steel pipe was leaking so I have taken it all out and replaced with
blue plastic pipe. Was looking at the earth arrangement and wondering if
I need to earth the wiring in another way, into the ground or something,
or are we still earthed through the water in the plastic pipe out to the
outside world?

You have several possibilities here, ranging from mostly all ok, not
much to worry about, to, you now have seriously defective electrical
installation that will be a potential danger to life.

Needless to say, working out which is the first priority. :-)

The links Robin posted should help you identify the type of earthing
system you have. If it turns out to be one of the TN variants, then you
have not much to worry about. If its TT and the rising main was your
main earth connection, you need to take some immediate steps to make it
safe.

--
Cheers,

John.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) February 14th 20 08:46 AM

Earthing through plastic pipe

No you are not earthed by the water, not in my experience at any rate.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) February 14th 20 08:49 AM

Earthing through plastic pipe

I've often wondered what they do these days as people tell me you can see
the plastic pipes coming up for the services in new builds. Maybe they all
have some kind of local Earth spike or are they all joined together these
days and earthed at intervals down the road?
Interesting.
Brian

--
----- --