Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earthing through plastic pipe

On Friday, 14 February 2020 11:23:46 UTC, TimW wrote:
This is the supply in the porch:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZhguWVyk5kZkbs1X9
Can wiser eyes than mine declare the type of earthing arrangement?

That CU is definately one from someone's bits box!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 10:55, Robin wrote:
On 15/02/2020 10:45, ARW wrote:
On 15/02/2020 10:30, Robin wrote:
On 15/02/2020 09:56, ARW wrote:
On 14/02/2020 14:27, Robin wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:53, TimW wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:25, Robin wrote:
On 14/02/2020 11:23, TimW wrote:
On 13/02/2020 21:59, TimW wrote:
There was an ancient (1950s) steel pipe bringing mains water
into my house under the front room and then up in the cup'd
under the stairs. There there was a stop cock and it went into
copper pipe and onto the copper a large sleeved earth wire was
connected with a tag on saying "Do Not Remove".

The steel pipe was leaking so I have taken it all out and
replaced with blue plastic pipe. Was looking at the earth
arrangement and wondering if I need to earth the wiring in
another way, into the ground or something, or are we still
earthed through the water in the plastic pipe out to the
outside world?

TW

This is the supply in the porch:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZhguWVyk5kZkbs1X9
Two substantial earth cables from the black box, one going to
the box of trip switches, the other just dangling, redundant
from the old economy 7 circuit or something.

Can wiser eyes than mine declare the type of earthing arrangement?

That looks promising (but also a bit of a dog's breakfast).Â* But
I'd rather leave it to those who have seen an awful lot more of
them to advise the next step.

On a point of detail, can you see/work out where the wire
connected to the copper pipe comes from?

No, it comes from the gaps between the joists.
tw

Don't worry about that, it's trivial compared with your earthing.

The news that you have an overhead supply combined with the "dog's
breakfast" aspect makes me more inclined to suspect a "DIY PME"
installation.Â* That is, someone has come along and connected the
earth cable between the incomer and the consumer unit to make it
look as if you have TN-C-S/PME when in fact you have TT.

It doesn't follow that you have an exceedingly dangerous setup.
And there might be an earth rod somewhere.Â* But when looked at
alongside the consumer unit (with it's mix of brands and lack of
RCD protection on some circuits) I'd be bothered.Â* I think you
should have it looked at. But others will know more and better than
me.

In the meantime be careful.

Although it is the same service head as John Rumm's, John actually
has a Ze reading on his. However on the plus side the cut out is
sealed and that suggests that the earth is genuine. You need to cut
the seal and remove the fuse to access the earth on that service head.

My apologies to Tim for my excess of caution.

And in case Tim hasn't picked up on it, Adam does this **** for a
living - and by all accounts rather well.

It could be a false seal:-). The yellow sticker will say PME on it but
that is no guarantee. The OP's only answer is to call his supplier.

I think I was biased by the contrast with the few conversions to PME
I've seen where the earth was a short bit of cable to a MET, or to a
connector left dangling like

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/-/media/images/uk-power-networks/ge/earthing/pme-earthing-photo.ashx?h=232&w=408&la=en&hash=A5FA061E3047D5F7 76145E3CFD0CB2A81AEB15A6

I think their web site must be borked at the mo - all those links just
redirect to the home page at the moment for me...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 11:55, wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 11:23:46 UTC, TimW wrote:
This is the supply in the porch:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZhguWVyk5kZkbs1X9
Can wiser eyes than mine declare the type of earthing arrangement?

That CU is definately one from someone's bits box!

It looks very similar to a Contactum insulated CU of about 10 years ago
to me...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2020 13:37, John Rumm wrote:
snip

I think their web site must be borked at the mo - all those links just
redirect to the home page at the moment for me...

They have put up a new home page ready for Storm Dennis, and I too
cannot now get to the page or photo in the links.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 13:46:57 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
That CU is definately one from someone's bits box!

It looks very similar to a Contactum insulated CU of about 10 years ago
to me...

Did they use Hager, Moeller, Wylex and MK MCBs too ? :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 09:59:41 UTC, Robin wrote:
On 15/02/2020 08:35, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 11:08:57 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
TimW wrote:
There was an ancient (1950s) steel pipe bringing mains water into my
house under the front room and then up in the cup'd under the stairs.
There there was a stop cock and it went into copper pipe and onto the
copper a large sleeved earth wire was connected with a tag on saying "Do
Not Remove".

The steel pipe was leaking so I have taken it all out and replaced with
blue plastic pipe. Was looking at the earth arrangement and wondering if
I need to earth the wiring in another way, into the ground or something,
or are we still earthed through the water in the plastic pipe out to the
outside world?

It was common many many years ago to provide the earth via the water pipe.
Not so today. Get your leccy board in to sort it out.

It's nothing to do with the leccy board.

Meanwhile what might help Tim is to know that the relevant function of
"Electricity Boards" was transferred as part of the privatisation of the
industry to distribution network operators (DNOs). As John has already
pointed out they can and do deal with earthing - although they may
charge (and will require main bonding to be up to current requirements
before they supply PME).

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/electricity/earthing

The job required is on the OP's installation, not a job for the DNO on their equipment.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 11:32:02 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

It was common many many years ago to provide the earth via the water
pipe. Not so today. Get your leccy board in to sort it out.

It's nothing to do with the leccy board.

How would you define leccy board? The same as your electricity supplier?

If I meant that I'd have said so. ;-)

What's happened to you lately?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

It was common many many years ago to provide the earth via the
water pipe. Not so today. Get your leccy board in to sort it out.

It's nothing to do with the leccy board.

How would you define leccy board? The same as your electricity
supplier?

If I meant that I'd have said so. ;-)

What's happened to you lately?

I could ask the same of you. ;-)

But if you contact your electricity supplier and tell them the problem I'm
sure they'll point you in the right direction.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

It was common many many years ago to provide the earth via the
water pipe. Not so today. Get your leccy board in to sort it out.

It's nothing to do with the leccy board.

How would you define leccy board? The same as your electricity
supplier?

If I meant that I'd have said so. ;-)

What's happened to you lately?

I could ask the same of you. ;-)

But if you contact your electricity supplier and tell them the problem I'm
sure they'll point you in the right direction.

I very much doubt that your electricity supplier would guide you on a
technical matter such as 'earthing'.

It would be more productive to contact the DNO for his area and enquire
if PME is available on their network. If avaialable the DNO are obliged
to provide PME to the terminal cutout. There may be a standard charge
for doing this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tufnell Park wrote:
But if you contact your electricity supplier and tell them the problem I'm
sure they'll point you in the right direction.

I very much doubt that your electricity supplier would guide you on a
technical matter such as 'earthing'.

Try it and see.

--
*America is so advanced that even the chairs are electric.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tufnell Park wrote:
But if you contact your electricity supplier and tell them the problem I'm
sure they'll point you in the right direction.

I very much doubt that your electricity supplier would guide you on a
technical matter such as 'earthing'.

Try it and see.

It's not worth the bother, provision of PME is the responsibility of the
DNO (distribution network operator).

Your electricity supplier merely supplies you with electricty, for
technical matters they may refer you to the DNO, but you will have made
2 calls where one would have done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:
[...]

Well its both... You could wire up your installation as if it were
TN-C-S, but that would not be a sensible thing to do if the DNO had not
constructed or upgraded the local distribution network to support it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:
[...]

Depends what "the job" is. Getting PME (if it isn't there already) is a
job for the DNO on their equipment, and some at least will check it for
free. (IMLE they don't always have records, or trust what they do have.)

There may be other jobs on the installation - eg bonding, earth rod -
but that doesn't militate against using the DNO.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 February 2020 13:41:36 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

It was common many many years ago to provide the earth via the
water pipe. Not so today. Get your leccy board in to sort it out.

It's nothing to do with the leccy board.

How would you define leccy board? The same as your electricity
supplier?

If I meant that I'd have said so. ;-)

What's happened to you lately?

I could ask the same of you. ;-)

You could, but I'm not the one displaying warning signs of dementia

But if you contact your electricity supplier and tell them the problem I'm
sure they'll point you in the right direction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:
[...]

all that's required is to equi bond the water pipe. AFAIK suppliers don't provide neutral earth terminals on non-PME supplies.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 16:09, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/02/2020 15:44, newshound wrote:
On 14/02/2020 11:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/02/2020 11:06, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/02/2020 22:35, TimW wrote:

Earth rod and required RCD measures if you are a TT installation.

But are you maybe a TN-C-S or TN-S (supplier provided earth) and
this clamp was merely equipotential bonding?

Going to add - if you can't work it out, best call a local sparky
around asap to check it out. The worst case scenario as others have
mentioned is a very dangerous installation.

Although *if* it is a reasonably recent installation, the supplier's
main fuse or switch may bear the magic letters "PME".

That said, mine did when I moved in, but the earth was not in fact
connected to the neutral, but to a fairly feeble looking earth rod
right by the front door.

Indeed the sticker alone is not solid evidence that the install is
actually using the PME earth.

My cutout has the PME sticker, but it would seem that the upgrade to a
PME capable supply occurred after the house was previously re-wired.

Hence the installation is TT (as would be typical for many rural
properties with overhead supplies).

Good point. IIRC my overhead supply was replaced with an underground one
soon after I moved in (31 years ago).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2020 18:49, wrote:
On Sunday, 16 February 2020 15:44:19 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/02/2020 17:54, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 09:59:41 UTC, Robin wrote:
On 15/02/2020 08:35, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 11:08:57 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , TimW
wrote:
[...]

Yup sorry, I think I misread that last post slightly. Assuming in the
OPs installation its confirmed as the supply being PME, then indeed all
that is required is replacing the missing bond.

My comment above is the more general version - that if the supply status
is unknown, the enquiry wit the DNO may be the only *sure* way of
establishing if its safe to make use of the suppliers neutral for the
local earth.

(The type of cutout does not tell you much since they often the same
type for all TN supplies - the only difference being whether the
internal link joining N & E is fitted).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tufnell Park wrote:
In article ,
Tufnell Park wrote:
But if you contact your electricity supplier and tell them the problem I'm
sure they'll point you in the right direction.

I very much doubt that your electricity supplier would guide you on a
technical matter such as 'earthing'.

Try it and see.

It's not worth the bother, provision of PME is the responsibility of the
DNO (distribution network operator).

Then a phone call to your supplier will likely point you to the correct
one.

Your electricity supplier merely supplies you with electricty, for
technical matters they may refer you to the DNO, but you will have made
2 calls where one would have done.

I'd guess the 99% of the population that you have quoted earlier are
likely to approach their supplier first, with any problems?

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

It was common many many years ago to provide the earth via the
water pipe. Not so today. Get your leccy board in to sort it out.

It's nothing to do with the leccy board.

How would you define leccy board? The same as your electricity
supplier?

If I meant that I'd have said so. ;-)

What's happened to you lately?

I could ask the same of you. ;-)

You could, but I'm not the one displaying warning signs of dementia

In your case, it might be difficult to diagnose.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 February 2020 03:26:14 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/02/2020 18:49, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 16 February 2020 15:44:19 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/02/2020 17:54, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 09:59:41 UTC, Robin wrote:
On 15/02/2020 08:35, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 11:08:57 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , TimW
wrote:
[...]

There are a lot of noncompliant supply incomers around, but they were all compliant at time of installation. Eg 30A rated, touchable live parts, dp fusing, asbestos etc. To the best of my knowledge it has never been compliant to provide a neutral earth from a non-PME supply, hence I would not expect to ever see a non-PME neutral earth connection in this country. If you want to check with the DNO you can, but is there any realistic basis for the claimed need to?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 February 2020 11:23:23 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

It was common many many years ago to provide the earth via the
water pipe. Not so today. Get your leccy board in to sort it out.

It's nothing to do with the leccy board.

How would you define leccy board? The same as your electricity
supplier?

If I meant that I'd have said so. ;-)

What's happened to you lately?

I could ask the same of you. ;-)

You could, but I'm not the one displaying warning signs of dementia

In your case, it might be difficult to diagnose.

It's not a difficult condition to diagnose, unless of course the diagnosis is done by someone whose total experience of the patient is a 5 minute visit.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2020 12:24, wrote:
On Monday, 17 February 2020 03:26:14 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/02/2020 18:49, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 16 February 2020 15:44:19 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/02/2020 17:54, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 09:59:41 UTC, Robin wrote:
On 15/02/2020 08:35, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 11:08:57 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , TimW
wrote:
[...]

Before PME was 'invented' it was possible to get E Boards/REC's to fit
an 'earth' terminal for a nominal charge in domestic premises. This was
basically utilising the supply cable earth conductor connection at the
cut out which the property main earth conductor could be connected to.

Since PME came in i am not sure if this is still available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tufnell Park wrote:
Before PME was 'invented' it was possible to get E Boards/REC's to fit
an 'earth' terminal for a nominal charge in domestic premises. This was
basically utilising the supply cable earth conductor connection at the
cut out which the property main earth conductor could be connected to.

Since PME came in i am not sure if this is still available.

Not sure either.

When I bought this house in the 70s, the earth was provided by bonding to
the incoming lead water pipe. Also bonding to the cast iron gas pipe.

There had been relatively recent works done (before I bought it) which
included a new riser, and the meter moved from cellar to the top of the
cellar stairs. Wired in three core armoured cable from riser to meter,
with the third being the earth and an earth terminal alongside the meter
installed, which the house wiring earth was connected to. An old conduit
ran alongside the armoured, so I assume the ancient fusebox had always
been at the top of the cellar stairs.

Most of the lighting wiring was lead covered, although a more modern ring
had been added at some point.

Such a mess it was a condition of the mortgage it was rewired, which I did
to a basic level before moving in. But since everything to the meter was
obviously recent, left that as was.

On re-commissioning the new installation, the then board passed it all.
Including removing a second meter in another part of the house.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2020 12:24, wrote:
On Monday, 17 February 2020 03:26:14 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/02/2020 18:49, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 16 February 2020 15:44:19 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/02/2020 17:54, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 09:59:41 UTC, Robin wrote:
On 15/02/2020 08:35, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 11:08:57 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News) wrote:
In article , TimW
wrote:
[...]

Say you wanted to convert from TT to PME. If your cutout installation
predated the network upgrade but was otherwise of an appropriate type,
then you would need to check with the DNO prior to fitting the missing
link (or more likely having them fit it)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 February 2020 12:38:46 UTC, Tufnell Park wrote:
On 17/02/2020 12:24, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 17 February 2020 03:26:14 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/02/2020 18:49, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 16 February 2020 15:44:19 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/02/2020 17:54, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 09:59:41 UTC, Robin wrote:
On 15/02/2020 08:35, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 11:08:57 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , TimW
wrote:
[...]

that TN-S has long been available is not news and afaik not relevant

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 February 2020 15:07:36 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/02/2020 12:24, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 17 February 2020 03:26:14 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/02/2020 18:49, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 16 February 2020 15:44:19 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/02/2020 17:54, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 09:59:41 UTC, Robin wrote:
On 15/02/2020 08:35, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 11:08:57 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News) wrote:
In article , TimW
wrote:
[...]

Are you saying some sparks were in the habit of fitting a supplier's neutral to MET link on TT feeds, and using only that for the house's earth system? If so I wasn't aware one could buy the links, nor that sparks were being so irresponsoble.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 15/02/2020 08:35, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 11:08:57 UTC, Dave
Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , TimW
wrote:
[...]

No.