Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing a gate . . .

Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/20 21:49, RJH wrote:
Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

Cheers, Rob

As well as dealing with securing the hex nuts, maybe consider something
like this to offer another visible and effective deterrent:
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/halfords-wheel-clamp-lock-227910.html

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 February 2020 21:49:31 UTC, RJH wrote:
Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

Cheers, Rob

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Screws
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH Wrote in message:
Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

Cheers, Rob

Shear nuts & bolts?

E.g.

https://www.fastenright.com/products...rs/shear-bolts

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb 2020 at 22:30:30 GMT, "Jimk" wrote:

RJH Wrote in message:
[...]

Thanks - seen those, but they don't seem to supply retail, only via a web
form. And I'm curious about the torque at which the head snaps off. My
experience of bolting stuff to the brick of these houses hasn't been too
promising - so if it does need to be tightened *tight* they might not work.

Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb 2020 at 22:25:46 GMT, "
wrote:

[...]

Thanks - drilling out the head of a large pozi screw would seem to be a crude
but effective solution . . .

Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH Wrote in message:
[...]

It was an e.g. ....

GIYF
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb 2020 at 22:07:26 GMT, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

On 13/02/20 21:49, RJH wrote:
[...]

Yes, perhaps I should. Irony being my car is pretty much the least valuable on
the street (2007 Audi S3) . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 21:49, RJH wrote:
Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

This is a job for the uk.d-i-y angle grinder. Use it to take the corners
off the nuts and bolts, so that a spanner can't grip them. You can use
it again if you ever need to remove them.

Alternatively, should you want to be able to use a spanner on them
yourself, drill through one of the flats on the nuts and through the
bits the bolts pass through. Tap the holes and fit pointed hex socket
grub screws to grip the threads.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
On 13 Feb 2020 at 22:25:46 GMT, "
wrote:

[...]

Wonderful, until the inevitable time when *you* want to remove it.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar wrote:
On 13/02/2020 21:49, RJH wrote:
[...]

So can anyone else.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 21:49:25 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

Cheers, Rob

Loctite red on the threads?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
RJH wrote:
On 13 Feb 2020 at 22:25:46 GMT, "
wrote:

[...]

Then you can drill it out, on that rare occasion when you might have
to. The crims won't bother to try anyway. If they want to get
through it then they'll use brute force if they think that would
do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH Wrote in message:
[...]

Use bolts that need an allen key to tighten, then fill the hex recess
with something that sets quite hard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 21:49:25 +0000 (UTC), RJH wrote:

They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

I have a grate secured with Torx screws, a round head like the head of a coach
bolt, only with a regular Torx recess. These came with small aluminum slugs that
one is to hammer into the recess. I touched up the head with zinc paint, and the
slug is not longer apparent.

I had to remove the screw screw, and gently drilling out the aluminum middle,
and then picking out the bits in the grooves is possible, given time, patience,
and the knowledge of the ally slug. Thieves would likely have none of the
above...

Recessed hex would work just as well, I think.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 21:49, RJH wrote:
Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

Cheers, Rob

If the bad guys have a battery angle grinder then they can go through
most things quite quickly (albeit noisily). I lost a padlock key
recently and it took much less than a minute to cut through the staple.
Could you use a different style of lock, rather than a padlock?
Alternatively, shipping containers have a hardened steel cover over the
lock, which is completely inside the cover - search for "lock box".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 11:18, Chris Green wrote:
nightjar wrote:
On 13/02/2020 21:49, RJH wrote:
[...]

Noisier than undoing them with a spanner though.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
RJH wrote:
On 13 Feb 2020 at 22:25:46 GMT, "

wrote:

[...]

Not hard to use a screw extractor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
news
nightjar wrote:
On 13/02/2020 21:49, RJH wrote:
[...]

But would attract considerable attention
to themselves when doing that and there
are clearly surveillance cameras there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:06 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

Not hard to use a screw extractor.

Certainly not as hard as making you driveling senile idiot shut up for good!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:13:56 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

Oh, ****! And this little thread was Rodent-free, so far! tsk

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 13/02/2020 21:49, RJH wrote:
[...]

Yeah, our locked fire trail booms have the padlock
inside a big steel cylinder so there is no way to use
an angle grinder on the padlock and no one who
wants to get thru one has to worry about any noise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 12:06:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, our locked fire trail

This is a UK ng, in case you haven't noticed yet, you trolling senile
Arsetralian cretin!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 February 2020 13:36:39 UTC, wrote:
On 13/02/2020 21:49, RJH wrote:
[...]

Padlocks are often very easy to undo silently. Something better is called for if anything more than casual offputting security is wanted.

NT