Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fortic tank leak

One thing leads to another.
The management company of our blocks of flats sent around some
documents which included the warning that stagnant water in pipes
above a certain temperature may harbour dangerous bacteria, namely
Legionella.
Since I got a dose of Legionella a few years back in Portugal my wife
freaked.

We don't use this hot water system as the shower is an electric power
shower.
So, I turned off the main feed to the fortic tank and drained down the
via the hot taps in kitchen and bathroom.

This morning there is much water in the airing cupboard and a steady
drip coming from the bottom of the fortic tank.

Is a drain down of the tank itself using the drain cock on the side
the probable best solution?
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:

One thing leads to another.
The management company of our blocks of flats sent around some
documents which included the warning that stagnant water in pipes
above a certain temperature may harbour dangerous bacteria, namely
Legionella.
Since I got a dose of Legionella a few years back in Portugal my wife
freaked.

We don't use this hot water system as the shower is an electric power
shower.
So, I turned off the main feed to the fortic tank and drained down the
via the hot taps in kitchen and bathroom.

This morning there is much water in the airing cupboard and a steady
drip coming from the bottom of the fortic tank.

Is a drain down of the tank itself using the drain cock on the side
the probable best solution?

I can't answer the question, but the Legionella problem is *prevented*
by keeping stored water *above* 60 deg C, and regularly running water at
this temperature through the pipes. Provided your hot water system runs
well above 60 deg C regularly it is not a significant risk.
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:
One thing leads to another.
The management company of our blocks of flats sent around some
documents which included the warning that stagnant water in pipes
above a certain temperature may harbour dangerous bacteria, namely
Legionella.
Since I got a dose of Legionella a few years back in Portugal my wife
freaked.

We don't use this hot water system as the shower is an electric power
shower.
So, I turned off the main feed to the fortic tank and drained down the
via the hot taps in kitchen and bathroom.

This morning there is much water in the airing cupboard and a steady
drip coming from the bottom of the fortic tank.

Is a drain down of the tank itself using the drain cock on the side
the probable best solution?

Curious. What do you do for hot water for the rest of your hot taps? How
long have you lived there? How many folk have caught Legionella from their
HW systems in your flats?

Where is this water in your airing cupboard? Has your tank just sprung a
leak?

If you want to drain a HW tank you cant do it via the hot taps as HW is
drawn off from the top of the tank. If you have a drain cock at the bottom
youre sorted, if not a length of hosepipe inserted through the HW outlet
down to the bottom of the tank will allow you to syphon it out.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Mike Halmarack wrote:

[...]

provided you run your shower every day.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 11:55:51 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that.

After further investigation I've found that the leak is from a joint
in the mains supply passing from the flat below, through our flat, to
the one above.

The fortic tank hasn't been used for a while. The shower here is self
heating and the washing machine uses only a cold water feed.

I'm told that as the new washing machines are quite frugal with water
use, that often the filling cycle is done before the hot water from
the storage tank has made it through pipework to the machine. So the
hot water supply isn't used for that purpose now.

We boil a kettle for washing in the bathroom sink for the same reason,
so this makes the fortic tank currently obsolete.

As it has been possible to run the hot taps with the standing cold
water from the unused fortic tank, this makes bacterial effects on
health possible. I did turn off the cold supply to the fortic tank and
open the hot taps to drain down.

the fortic tank is still full of water and opening the drain cock from
low down on the storage tank produces not a trickle ???
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb 2020 12:13:32 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

Used this method but nothing coming out of the drain cock and this
(gravity pressure?)tank is still full.

I explained the busy role of the kettle in an earlier post.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 February 2020 12:31:10 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
the fortic tank is still full of water and opening the drain cock from
low down on the storage tank produces not a trickle ???

Mine did that.

There was a piece of insulation or other gunk blocking the outlet.

Inserting a pokey thing caused the entire contents of the tank to discharge.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb 2020 12:13:32 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Curious. What do you do for hot water for the rest of your hot taps? How
long have you lived there? How many folk have caught Legionella from their
HW systems in your flats?

Kettle.
No Legionella sufferers here, so far. It's that the management company
sent a document warning of the dangers and stating that it was the
leaseholder's responsibility to ensure that water in the pipes was
above 60C.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No most people get it from aerosols from the air conditioning on top of
buildings blowing away and the coolness of the pools that atomise so to
speak.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Mike Halmarack wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 04:43:36 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Thursday, 13 February 2020 12:31:10 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
the fortic tank is still full of water and opening the drain cock from
low down on the storage tank produces not a trickle ???

Mine did that.

There was a piece of insulation or other gunk blocking the outlet.

Inserting a pokey thing caused the entire contents of the tank to
discharge.

Owain

Pokey thing gone to top of list.

When you use the pokey thing, and assuming it does its job, have a *large*
vessel into which the water can safely drain during the time (which will
seem like several centuries!) before you can screw the drain cock closed.
And then attach your hosepipe and drain it into the bath / kitchen sink /
flower beds.

Hope you didn't have to manhandle the *full* cylinder through 90 degrees to
access the drain cock (it was round the *back* - duh!). When the immersion
heater element of mine broke and needed replacing, I had to empty the
cylinder to remove the horizontal element near the bottom of the tank. And
the drain was on the back so after unscrewing the cold inlet and the hot
outlet, I had to "walk" the cylinder round on the baulks of wood that it was
resting on. Luckily I got a lot more than a trickle from the cock (oooh,
Matronnnnnnnn!), so no pokey thing was needed ;-)

I had to Google what a fortic tank was. I've only seen one before and that
was in my first house. For some reason the builders chose not to put a
header tank in the loft or to make it a mains-fed cylinder. Cost, I suppose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 February 2020 12:45:39 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
There was a piece of insulation or other gunk blocking the outlet.

Pokey thing gone to top of list.

This was in the actual cylinder, not any pipe/valve. We'd already drained what we could from the pipe and /thought/ the cyl was completely empty and had started walking it out.

Two people + two buckets required.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:24:47 -0000, "NY" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Fortunately the company sent a man around.

I had to Google what a fortic tank was. I've only seen one before and that
was in my first house. For some reason the builders chose not to put a
header tank in the loft or to make it a mains-fed cylinder. Cost, I suppose.

No loft here, sad to say.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
No most people get it from aerosols from the air conditioning on top of
buildings blowing away and the coolness of the pools that atomise so to
speak.

But, and I speak as one who had had the disease, shower heads can also be a
source of the infection.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 18:28, charles wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
No most people get it from aerosols from the air conditioning on top of
buildings blowing away and the coolness of the pools that atomise so to
speak.

But, and I speak as one who had had the disease, shower heads can also be a
source of the infection.

Someone died after visiting a garden centre where the hot tubs on
display had stagnant, tepid water in them and caught it from that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

I did that for while and the three feet on the kettle 'melted'
dents into the cushionfloor which won't recover. damn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 12:53, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On 13 Feb 2020 12:13:32 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Curious. What do you do for hot water for the rest of your hot taps? How
long have you lived there? How many folk have caught Legionella from their
HW systems in your flats?

Kettle.
No Legionella sufferers here, so far. It's that the management company
sent a document warning of the dangers and stating that it was the
leaseholder's responsibility to ensure that water in the pipes was
above 60C.

If this isn't a hot water system serving the whole block, why should
they care ?.

If it is a copper cylinder in your flat with copper pipes connecting
to the hot taps then the copper is a biocide anyway.

Just make sure it is well lagged and get one of those Smiths
timers that gives it an hour a day to get it up to temp and then
use the hot water for whatever. If you have economy 7 electric,
make sure it comes on during the off peak period.

An electric shower won't help your condensation and mould problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 18:28:50 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
No most people get it from aerosols from the air conditioning on top of
buildings blowing away and the coolness of the pools that atomise so to
speak.

But, and I speak as one who had had the disease, shower heads can also be a
source of the infection.

I think mine was too but I'm not sure. There were a lot of shower
heads and aircon blasting away at that time.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 19:47:24 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

On 13/02/2020 12:53, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On 13 Feb 2020 12:13:32 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Curious. What do you do for hot water for the rest of your hot taps? How
long have you lived there? How many folk have caught Legionella from their
HW systems in your flats?

Kettle.
No Legionella sufferers here, so far. It's that the management company
sent a document warning of the dangers and stating that it was the
leaseholder's responsibility to ensure that water in the pipes was
above 60C.

If this isn't a hot water system serving the whole block, why should
they care ?.

I dunno, they seem quite careing in many ways. Maybe it's because they
can be sacked by the freehold shareholders on a vote at the AGM..

If it is a copper cylinder in your flat with copper pipes connecting
to the hot taps then the copper is a biocide anyway.

Just make sure it is well lagged and get one of those Smiths
timers that gives it an hour a day to get it up to temp and then
use the hot water for whatever.

That's the current plan, in fact it's in operation except for the
extra lagging, which is on order.

If you have economy 7 electric,
make sure it comes on during the off peak period.

We were on Economy 7 as a carry over when we moved in. But as the
previous residents had thrown out the night storage heaters in favour
of some trendy panel heaters from Lidl, I changed the tarrif.

An electric shower won't help your condensation and mould problem.

Gave the mould an aspirin and a good dehumidyfying. Never seen a sign
of it since. Though if it does show up I'll present it with the newly
inflated electric bill. That should really scare it off.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 14:59:37 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
wrote:

No most people get it from aerosols from the air conditioning on top of
buildings blowing away and the coolness of the pools that atomise so to
speak.

Brian

Yes, blowing deadly kisses. A nasty wee souvenir.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well that was an expensive decision. Have you looked into those
new versions of storage heaters that are supposed to be more
efficient according to the EU ?.

An electric shower won't help your condensation and mould problem.

Gave the mould an aspirin and a good dehumidyfying. Never seen a sign
of it since. Though if it does show up I'll present it with the newly
inflated electric bill. That should really scare it off.

I would revert to economy 7 if you can. If you don't have gas then
anything is cheaper that peak rate leccy, apart from an open fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

I would revert to economy 7 if you can. If you don't have gas then
anything is cheaper that peak rate leccy, apart from an open fire.

Depends how you get your fuel. ;-) At least with an open fire you can glean
free fuel. Less easy to do that with gas/oil/electricity.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, they're quite expensive in themselves and the fitting estimate
was a bit of a shocker. Especially as it only cost £500 to take them
out. But £2000 + to put them back in.

An electric shower won't help your condensation and mould problem.

Gave the mould an aspirin and a good dehumidyfying. Never seen a sign
of it since. Though if it does show up I'll present it with the newly
inflated electric bill. That should really scare it off.

I would revert to economy 7 if you can. If you don't have gas then
anything is cheaper that peak rate leccy, apart from an open fire.

I do have this ideal of economy 7 and night storage heaters but it's
unlikely to happen.

This place has a large lounge with south facing patio type windows.
The least bit of sunshine, even in winter, has that room's warmth
taken care of for the daytime. The kitchen tends to be self heating.
The "master bedroom" is now a smaller combined computer room/lounge
which can be retreated to on extra cold days for ease of heating. This
leaves the second bedroom, which is small enough to run on body heat
and a frugally employed Lidl electric blanket.
Far from perfect but what the heck.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Feb 2020 19:52:01 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Andrew wrote:

I would revert to economy 7 if you can. If you don't have gas then
anything is cheaper that peak rate leccy, apart from an open fire.

Depends how you get your fuel. ;-) At least with an open fire you can glean
free fuel. Less easy to do that with gas/oil/electricity.

Tim

Those were the days!
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

I would revert to economy 7 if you can. If you don't have gas then
anything is cheaper that peak rate leccy, apart from an open fire.

Depends how you get your fuel. ;-) At least with an open fire you can glean
free fuel. Less easy to do that with gas/oil/electricity.

Tim

Those were the days!

Were? They are my current days. Been burning logs in my log burner daily
for weeks and weeks now, all locally gleaned, sawn, split, stacked and
dried.

I cant pretend that its enough to heat my whole house but its jolly
nice. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

I would revert to economy 7 if you can. If you don't have gas then
anything is cheaper that peak rate leccy, apart from an open fire.

Depends how you get your fuel. ;-) At least with an open fire you can glean
free fuel. Less easy to do that with gas/oil/electricity.

Tim

Those were the days!

Were? They are my current days. Been burning logs in my log burner daily
for weeks and weeks now, all locally gleaned, sawn, split, stacked and
dried.

I cant pretend that its enough to heat my whole house but its jolly
nice. ;-)

Tim

The PM2.5 Police are coming for you ....

Replacing a Fortic cylinder Rog UK diy 5 June 14th 17 02:14 PM
Toilet Tank Leak - Maybe a cracked tank? Pokee Home Repair 7 January 15th 07 09:29 AM
I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leak should leak. Daniel Cullpeppper Home Repair 10 April 30th 06 05:16 AM
Draining a Fortic tank? Steve Harris UK diy 16 January 1st 05 10:06 AM
Home water tank water tank pressure not right, do I need a new tank? Gary Slusser Home Repair 2 August 11th 03 05:45 AM