Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler servicing

we have a Worcester Bosch GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC combi boiler, fitted 8
years ago (in the garage).

Used for heating and to power one very frequently used shower.

It has been serviced annually (£75 I think) as it was a condition for
the 7 year warranty that it came with. It worked without any fault
since new.

Is it a good idea/necessity to have it serviced every year?

Not having an issue with paying for it - just wondering if it is
necessary? I most definitely want to make sure that it stays safe to use.

What does the panel think please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
we have a Worcester Bosch GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC combi boiler, fitted 8
years ago (in the garage).

Used for heating and to power one very frequently used shower.

It has been serviced annually (£75 I think) as it was a condition for
the 7 year warranty that it came with. It worked without any fault
since new.

Is it a good idea/necessity to have it serviced every year?

Not having an issue with paying for it - just wondering if it is
necessary? I most definitely want to make sure that it stays safe to use.

What does the panel think please?

My Viessmann has never been serviced. It was a self install, so not sure
about the warranty with that. But was likely only 5 years anyway.

It's now 12 years old, and gas usage each year much the same. So I've
saved £900 - well on the way to pay for a new boiler when needed.

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 09:57, JoeJoe wrote:
we have a Worcester Bosch GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC combi boiler, fitted 8
years ago (in the garage).

Used for heating and to power one very frequently used shower.

It has been serviced annually (£75 I think) as it was a condition for
the 7 year warranty that it came with.Â* It worked without any fault
since new.

Is it a good idea/necessity to have it serviced every year?

Not having an issue with paying for it - just wondering if it is
necessary?Â*Â* I most definitely want to make sure that it stays safe to use.

On a new combi boiler what's most likely to pack-up in the warranty
period? I'd say the diverter valve/actuator the cost of which would be
guessing 2 years service costs and is a simple component to replace.

With gas boilers I'd suggest the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
is extremely appropriate.

Tehy're not like the olden-days water-heater boiler things that used to
poison folks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , JoeJoe
wrote:
[...]

mine (a Glow Worm) was installed in 1989, by myself. It doesn't get a
regular service, but I have cleaned it a couple of times.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why do people assume a "plumber" can service a boiler. An understanding of
the control logic is needed - more akin to a washing machine in terms of
logic and controls.

Devinately find someone who was trained by a boiler company.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 09:57, JoeJoe wrote:
we have a Worcester Bosch GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC combi boiler, fitted 8
years ago (in the garage).

Used for heating and to power one very frequently used shower.

It has been serviced annually (£75 I think) as it was a condition for
the 7 year warranty that it came with.Â* It worked without any fault
since new.

Is it a good idea/necessity to have it serviced every year?

Not having an issue with paying for it - just wondering if it is
necessary?Â*Â* I most definitely want to make sure that it stays safe to use.

What does the panel think please?

Hard to say.

We had a new boiler fitted (about) 15 years back and took out a 'whole
system' service contract- which includes an annual service. We've had a
few minor issues but one major one- the heat exchange leaked. We were in
France at the time an middle daughter was house sitting- she noticed a
puddle on the garage floor. She rang us and I told he what to do- it was
summer and we have a back up electric immersion heater so it wasn't
urgent. The company essentially replaced the boiler- all but the case
more or less- plus the 'lock shield valves' as they were past their
best, all included.

At the last service, a few weeks back, the chap who we've got to know as
he has done most of them, commented it is in excellent condition and,
all things being equal, should last several more years etc.

When we have had problems, they have always turned up promptly and fixed
things quickly without any fuss. On one occasion the engineer hurt
himself and had to go to the local A&E so they sent someone else to
finish the job quickly etc.

The contract isn't cheap but I think it is worth it for the peace of
mind. Oh, he also casts an eye over the gas fire in the sitting room to
check it is safe. We have a CO detector etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

we have a Worcester Bosch GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC combi boiler, fitted 8
years ago (in the garage).

Is it a good idea/necessity to have it serviced every year?

My Worcester Bosch system boiler was installed nearly 16 years
ago.

Just out of its 2 year warranty the PCB failed, and I had it
serviced as part of the repair. Usefully, it was discovered that
my incoming main gas regulator was out of spec, so a quick call
got that swapped pretty swiftly.

No further work or, to temp fate, problems so far.

I was always a little sceptical that the cost of a mandatory
annual service and/or early failure of a more complicated piece
of kit, could easily exceed the value of energy saving.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:57:56 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

we have a Worcester Bosch GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC combi boiler, fitted 8
years ago (in the garage).

snip

Is it a good idea/necessity to have it serviced every year?

snip
What does the panel think please?

When my Potterton Suprima was installed around 20 years ago I asked
the installer about servicing and he said that he wouldn't bother.
The closest it has come to a service was a few years later when the
PCB needed replacing (which I learned about here) and I cleaned out
the combustion chamber at the same time as replacing it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Johnson
scribeth thus
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:57:56 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

we have a Worcester Bosch GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC combi boiler, fitted 8
years ago (in the garage).

snip

Is it a good idea/necessity to have it serviced every year?

snip
What does the panel think please?

When my Potterton Suprima was installed around 20 years ago I asked
the installer about servicing and he said that he wouldn't bother.
The closest it has come to a service was a few years later when the
PCB needed replacing (which I learned about here) and I cleaned out
the combustion chamber at the same time as replacing it.

Did you fit the newer PCB ?, after years of exchange ones we put the new
sort in, about 3 or 4 years ago been fine ever since
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My first boiler - a Potterton floor standing BE BF type did need a service
once in a while. Otherwise it would soot up and stop working. I'd guess
modern units burn more cleanly?

I reckon most these days don't need a service as such. Just a check they
are working OK.

The one fault I've had with my Viessmann was a burst hose, and the water
spill took out the gas valve. But don't think an annual service would have
picked that up before it happened.

BTW, the gas valve getting soaked also took out a fuse on the PCB. A
soldered in PCB mount type. A gas fitter fixing that would likely have
just fitted a new PCB. And charged me for it.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 23:29:05 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

When my Potterton Suprima was installed around 20 years ago I asked
the installer about servicing and he said that he wouldn't bother.
The closest it has come to a service was a few years later when the
PCB needed replacing (which I learned about here) and I cleaned out
the combustion chamber at the same time as replacing it.

Did you fit the newer PCB ?, after years of exchange ones we put the new
sort in, about 3 or 4 years ago been fine ever since

Yes, it was the Mk II board. No problems with it, must be more than 10
years now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 February 2020 10:48:49 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My first boiler - a Potterton floor standing BE BF type did need a service
once in a while. Otherwise it would soot up and stop working. I'd guess
modern units burn more cleanly?

I think I read somewhere condensing boilers tend to keep themselves clean thanks to the condensation produced which carries soot away? Could be nonsense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 10:48:49 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My first boiler - a Potterton floor standing BE BF type did need a service
once in a while. Otherwise it would soot up and stop working. I'd guess
modern units burn more cleanly?

I think I read somewhere condensing boilers tend to keep themselves
clean thanks to the condensation produced which carries soot away? Could
be nonsense.

Could be. Although the old boiler had a BF flue terminal which would have
allowed in more muck from the air. The condensing one a fan assisted
system so much smaller would have less air flow when not burning?

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Servicing Combi Boiler Peter Morrill UK diy 6 January 31st 06 10:00 PM
Boiler servicing marcb UK diy 0 August 10th 05 09:52 PM
Boiler servicing again - but this time oil EN UK diy 8 July 8th 05 02:19 PM
Boiler servicing mr-vampy UK diy 5 May 29th 05 10:59 AM
DIY boiler servicing peak man UK diy 17 April 16th 04 10:53 AM