Old February 12th 20, 09:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The last census?

Jeff Layman wrote:

On 12/02/20 08:50, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 08:12:55 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/02/20 07:13, Andy Burns wrote:
The next census might be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51468919

Just like the previous one was supposed to be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10584385

More wasted money on legalised snooping. Why don't they just pay Google
for the info?

Every ten years I have fun trying to (legally) make it as difficult as
possible for the coders/OCR equipment to read my census return. For
example, many years ago the requirement was for it to be completed in
blue or black ink. That year I used the palest blue colour I could find
- it was almost indistinguishable from the background, but it /was/
blue. The next time it was a requirement for the ink to be black, so I
used a square font (like the one here
https://www.dafont.com/squarefont.font) with the lines of the letters
entered without spacing between them and the edges of the black boxes.
But the ink /was/ black.

I wonder what the requirement will be next year?

Are you an illegal immigrant?

No. If I was could probably claim it was in my "Human Rights" to not
complete the census form and get away with it!

It seems a strange delusion that illegal immigrants somehow have more
access to human rights than the rest of us. On the contrary, they are
just more likely to be a position to need to appeal to the courts
regarding their rights. It there is a human rights ground to object to
the census (or anything else for that matter) then you have as much
access to it as anyone else.

--

Roger Hayter

Old February 12th 20, 09:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought Google will be able to do it any time you like unless you
are a non person, ie never been on line or banked with any services which
uses google systems or do not live in a council area using google services.
Brian

I suspect that there are quite a lot of people who have managed to escape the system. When elections come around it usually turns out that something like 30% of young people are not registered to vote. Some of them are probably just lazy but others, I think, deliberately don't register in order to avoid official notice such as the tax system. Many of them, no doubt, get picked up by officialdom in other ways, but there is almost certainly a residue who escape all notice. Some of them will be homeless with no regular job - just what a decent census ought to tell the government about.

--
Clive Page
Old February 12th 20, 10:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 09:25:31 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

snip

Nearly all the information available from a census is obtainable form
other sources (the birth, marriage, and death register is a good start).

snip

My Mrs just had to renew her driving licence (because she's nearly 70
I think). She had her old (paper) driving licence but that (and a
photo) wasn't good enough to be able to issue a replacement
apparently, so because she didn't have a passport or any of the other
acceptable ID related things, had to send an original birth and
marriage cert's.

I get why etc, but as has been mentioned, these agencies have enough
information on us anyway but 1) *they* requested of her she update her
licence and 2) she (or someone fraudulently) has just replaced her
paper licence with no photo with one with a photo licence (of them if
it was fraudulent etc). Was all that because a photo licence would be
more powerful as a form of ID (to a fraudster) compared with the old
type?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I still have the green paper licence and believe it has been
refused as ID in some instances as it's not 'Photo ID'. I just enjoy
not having to replace it but maybe I could as I may not have that many
'every 10 years' (is it?) left. ;-)

Old February 12th 20, 10:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2020 09:43, NY wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message

How are people identified in a census - I've forgotten? Is it just by
name or does each person in a household have to give a unique ID such as
National Insurance number? If they gave NI number, it would make it much
easier for genealogists to trace the correct John Smith as he moves from
house to house between one census and the next.

I've heard it said that most Americans (land of the free) know their
social security number. I've always thought that the NI number had some
merits as a potentially unique identifier. There are places that use it
as your login ID on the computer system.
Old February 12th 20, 10:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2020 08:12, Jeff Layman wrote:

Every ten years I have fun trying to (legally) make it as difficult as
possible for the coders/OCR equipment to read my census return. For
example, many years ago the requirement was for it to be completed in
blue or black ink. That year I used the palest blue colour I could find
- it was almost indistinguishable from the background, but it /was/
blue. The next time it was a requirement for the ink to be black, so I
used a square font (like the one here
https://www.dafont.com/squarefont.font) with the lines of the letters
entered without spacing between them and the edges of the black boxes.
But the ink /was/ black.

I wonder what the requirement will be next year?

I don't remember the wording on the last census form but for at least
the last 12 to 15 years I've declined the "invitation" to be part of the
"electrol roll" or to name others at the address.

The form of lies is always addressed to "the occupier" which is not a
name I am familiar with at the address to which it's posted so it always
gets returned ANR RTS.
Likewise, even if I were to open it I still couldn't complete it as the
box that requires a signature also requires the ALL CAPITALS NAME to be
entered and a signature bonding the signatory to the fact that they then
become liable to a £1000 fine should something not be correct.

That's not a contract that benefits me and I can't sign it under a false
NAME, that's fraud.

Bloody council canvasser scum just get a "no thankyou" and the door shut
on them, to which they say "so I'll take that as a refusal then"

No joinder no problem.

Old February 12th 20, 10:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2020 08:50, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

Why don't they just pay Google for the info?

Last time they suggested the credit reference agencies knew it all ...

I recently purchased a 30 day contract data only SIM card in my mothers
name to provide a VoIP phone in her room at the care home. Had it
delivered to the house that I frequent (which I don't complete electoral
roll for) and within days of it turning up a letter came from the local
authority addressed to her stating she is a resident of the property.

Needless to say it was returned stating the person in question did not
live at the address.

So councils are already using mobile phone accounts, and presumably
mobile phone accounts/contracts have a get-out clause to skip GDPR
presumably the "I accept" button when ordering on-line.

Old February 12th 20, 10:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
[...]

I think most people who had their brain switched on and not in bloody-minded
mode would regard "The Occupier" as a "matches-anything" wildcard name. They
can't address the form to the last known occupier by name, because he may
have moved out and someone else moved in since the last time they got the
info - and anyway, there may not *be* a name registered at that address if
it was someone who refused to return the filled-in form.

I think the offence is failing to provide *any* information as well as
returning false information, so you should expect it to be chased-up (if
they have the time, which is what you're banking on).

Likewise, even if I were to open it I still couldn't complete it as the
box that requires a signature also requires the ALL CAPITALS NAME to be
entered and a signature bonding the signatory to the fact that they then
become liable to a £1000 fine should something not be correct.

That's not a contract that benefits me and I can't sign it under a false
NAME, that's fraud.

You mean, because you think you have to sign your name as "The Occupier"
(since that's who it was addressed to) rather than the name that you fill in
at the top of the form? Use a *little* bit of common sense.

Bloody council canvasser scum just get a "no thankyou" and the door shut
on them, to which they say "so I'll take that as a refusal then"

No joinder no problem.

No vote, though, for you or anyone who lives there. Maybe that doesn't
bother you. I wonder what happens if the head of the household refuses to
fill in the form but someone else who lives there (wife, children) wants to
vote. Is there a mechanism for someone who is not the head of the household
to submit just their name, to secure their right to vote.

I'm obviously just too much of a goody-goody. I've never felt the slightest
inclination not to do what I regard as my moral (as well as legal) duty by
adding myself to the electoral roll and the census. I want my details
excluded from the publicly-viewable electoral roll, but only because spam
merchants are legally allowed to use this information as a mailing list. If
I had my way, I'd bang up every single person who sends any unsolicited
mail/phone-calls/email, irrespective of whether it was fraudulent or
honest - the sin is the mere act of sending it.

Old February 12th 20, 10:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2020 10:04, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 09:25:31 +0000, Jeff Layman

snip
p.s. I still have the green paper licence and believe it has been
refused as ID in some instances as it's not 'Photo ID'. I just enjoy
not having to replace it but maybe I could as I may not have that many
'every 10 years' (is it?) left. ;

I have a driving licence with a photo ID on the reverse and ignored all
the threats of £1000 fine for not renewing it once 10 years (?) had passed.

What people don't realise is it's 2 cards in 1. One side is the driving
licence which has the expiry date for each class of vehicle as being the
drivers 70th(?) birthday and the other side is a picture I.D. which has
a 10(?) year expiry. The deception is with the implication that the
driving licence becomes invalid after 10 years which it doesn't.

Old February 12th 20, 10:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/02/2020 09:43, NY wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message

How are people identified in a census - I've forgotten? Is it just by
name or does each person in a household have to give a unique ID such as
National Insurance number? If they gave NI number, it would make it much
easier for genealogists to trace the correct John Smith as he moves from
house to house between one census and the next.

I've heard it said that most Americans (land of the free) know their
social security number. I've always thought that the NI number had some
merits as a potentially unique identifier. There are places that use it as
your login ID on the computer system.

I certainly know my NI number - it's used for filling in tax returns and
various other things that are not *directly* related to state pension and NI
contributions to build up credits for pension.

But then I'm the sort of person who can remember all my car registrations
and the postcodes and phone numbers of all the houses I've lived at. ;-)

I can see a lot of benefit from using some form of ID number (and NI is as
good as any) as the number on lots of databases, as an easy means of
relating one database to another *once the legal confidentiality "just
cause" conditions have been met*.

Old February 12th 20, 10:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

The deception is with the implication that the
driving licence becomes invalid after 10 years which it doesn't.

Let's hope PC Plod doesn't have a SOH failure if you get stopped.

Speaking of which, travelling home on the M1 yesterday and the gantry
speed limits ahead were on 50 (there's been a closed bridge off one of
the nottingham junctions, making the other junctions very busy at rush hour)

I slowed to an indicated 51mph (which is actual 49 or 50mph in my car)
by the time I went under it, but matey-boy in a van undertook me right
at the gantry and the camera flash went off ... hopefully the system is
good at discriminating which is the offending lane?

2011 Census Steve Ackman Metalworking 15 April 8th 11 07:59 AM
Census/DIY direct action against Lockheed Martin John Stumbles UK diy 28 March 24th 11 07:49 AM
Duplicate Census Forms Oren[_2_] Home Repair 63 April 6th 10 04:30 PM
The 2010 Census has begun Oren[_2_] Home Repair 5 January 26th 10 02:23 PM
First political census worker killing Ouroboros Rex Electronic Schematics 0 September 24th 09 09:33 PM