Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neighbour's installation has dimmer switches plus ...

My flat's main room ceiling lighting is OEM, apart from adding shades and replacing bulbs. It has two dangling lights controlled by a 2-spst switch pair by the door.

The main room of the flat of my next-door neighbour (not the recently aforementioned neighbour) would originally have had the same. It now has a double-dimmer switch pair by the door, a dangling light at one end with a bulb which works, and at the other end a three-bulb ceiling-mounted fitting with no bulbs.

The dimmers would have been installed for/by the previous resident, meaning at least eight years ago, and therefore designed for incandescent filament bulbs.

She wants to have bulbs in the three-bulb fitting.

I remember that nowadays one must be careful about compatibility between bulbs and dimmers.

She is out now, and I have not yet looked at the dangling bulb.

I have not yet found anything up-to-date-looking about this in the Wiki-FAQ..

So, what would it be best to do?

P.S. I'm still catching up on recommendations for Win7 - Win10.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google Groups. |
Mail: - or as Reply-To, if any. |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm sticking with win 7 till some applications need to be updated or until
the anti virus no longer supports windows 7.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
My flat's main room ceiling lighting is OEM, apart from adding shades
and replacing bulbs. It has two dangling lights controlled by a 2-spst
switch pair by the door.

The main room of the flat of my next-door neighbour (not the recently
aforementioned neighbour) would originally have had the same. It now
has a double-dimmer switch pair by the door, a dangling light at one end
with a bulb which works, and at the other end a three-bulb
ceiling-mounted fitting with no bulbs.

The dimmers would have been installed for/by the previous resident,
meaning at least eight years ago, and therefore designed for
incandescent filament bulbs.

She wants to have bulbs in the three-bulb fitting.

I remember that nowadays one must be careful about compatibility between
bulbs and dimmers.

It's just possible the dimmers may work with LEDs. I have MK grid ones
dating from the 90s which do.

You won't break anything by trying LED bulbs on a none LED dimmer.

--
*To steal ideas from *one* person is plagiarism; from many, research*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2020 16:11, wrote:
[...]

I have bought LED bulbs from homebase that are both cheap and alledely
dimmable. They sort of dim - not great, but dim they do. On a bog
standard dimnmer.

You can get LED compatible dimmer modules to replace the rotary knob
things in the existing dimnmer foir not huge money

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 16:59:50 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JRS wrote:

She wants to have bulbs in the three-bulb fitting.

I remember that nowadays one must be careful about compatibility between
bulbs and dimmers.

It's just possible the dimmers may work with LEDs. I have MK grid ones
dating from the 90s which do.

You won't break anything by trying LED bulbs on a none LED dimmer.

Thanks. I have now seen the dangling bulb, which is LED; it works on the existing dimmer.

I have some spare LED bulbs, which are all BC; but her fitting is ES. I have a BC-ES adaptor, but it is the wrong way round :-(.

I'll get an ES bulb to be tried on the next convenient day.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google Groups. |
Mail: - or as Reply-To, if any. |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2020 16:11, wrote:
[...]

All perfectly doable. She needs LED bulbs which are dimmable - not all
are - and she needs a dimmer switch which is capable of handling LEDs.

When I asked a similar question a while ago, Adam recommended the
Varilight V-Pro range. I fitted one when I fitted a new 5-bulb pendant
light in my dining room using dimmable LED bulbs - and it's been fine.

It may simply be a case of replacing the existing two-gang dimmer switch
with one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight...ch-white/98455
or similar - they come in various finishes to suit the decor.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Not true at all. If you're lucky they'll work fine together. If you're unlucky the lamps will use CR PSUs which die quickly on trailing or leading edge dimmers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
It's just possible the dimmers may work with LEDs. I have MK grid ones
dating from the 90s which do.

You won't break anything by trying LED bulbs on a none LED dimmer.

Not true at all. If you're lucky they'll work fine together. If you're unlucky the lamps will use CR PSUs which die quickly on trailing or leading edge dimmers.

I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge dimmer.
Long term use might, of course, but why would you?

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jon Fairbairn wrote:
Not true at all. If you're lucky they'll work fine together.
If you're unlucky the lamps will use CR PSUs which die
quickly on trailing or leading edge dimmers.

Particularly if the LED load is less than the minumum rated load
of the dimmer. The smell from an exploded LED bulb hangs around
for weeks.

Can you explain the theory behind that?

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 11:27:36 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

It's just possible the dimmers may work with LEDs. I have MK grid ones
dating from the 90s which do.

You won't break anything by trying LED bulbs on a none LED dimmer.

Not true at all. If you're lucky they'll work fine together. If you're unlucky the lamps will use CR PSUs which die quickly on trailing or leading edge dimmers.

I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge dimmer.

then you've not used a CR PSU led light for that job.

Long term use might, of course, but why would you?

nothing long term about it, the PSU R experiences gross overload and smokes in seconds.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge dimmer.

then you've not used a CR PSU led light for that job.

How would I know a CR PSU from an LED that simply says 'dimmable' (with a
suitable dimmer) ?

--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 14:42:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge dimmer.

then you've not used a CR PSU led light for that job.

How would I know a CR PSU from an LED that simply says 'dimmable' (with a
suitable dimmer) ?

Dimmable LEDs can not contain CR PSUs, they don't survive chopper dimming. The only way to tell a CR PSU LED from an SMPSU LED is to open it up.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge
dimmer.

then you've not used a CR PSU led light for that job.

How would I know a CR PSU from an LED that simply says 'dimmable' (with a
suitable dimmer) ?

Dimmable LEDs can not contain CR PSUs, they don't survive chopper dimming.

The only way to tell a CR PSU LED from an SMPSU LED is to open it up.

Thats bull****, you can measure it too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:02:08 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That¢s bull****, you can measure it too.

The bull**** you keep spouting here IS measureless, senile Rodent!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge
dimmer.

then you've not used a CR PSU led light for that job.

How would I know a CR PSU from an LED that simply says 'dimmable' (with a
suitable dimmer) ?

Dimmable LEDs can not contain CR PSUs, they don't survive chopper dimming.

The only way to tell a CR PSU LED from an SMPSU LED is to open it up.

Thats bull****, you can measure it too.

It is possible to scope the mains current waveform to see what's going on, but if someone is asking how to tell they're not likely to have a scope, or be able to do it if they did. A pf meter won't tell you, CR & small SMPSUs are both low pf, albeit in different ways. And modern pf reporting power meters have a habit of talking nonsense.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 14:42:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge
dimmer.

then you've not used a CR PSU led light for that job.

How would I know a CR PSU from an LED that simply says 'dimmable'
(with a
suitable dimmer) ?

Dimmable LEDs can not contain CR PSUs, they don't survive chopper
dimming.

The only way to tell a CR PSU LED from an SMPSU LED is to open it up.

Thats bull****, you can measure it too.

It is possible to scope the mains current
waveform to see what's going on,

Thats not the only way to measure it.

but if someone is asking how to tell
they're not likely to have a scope, or
be able to do it if they did.

Irrelevant to your ignorant claim about opening it up.

A pf meter won't tell you, CR & small SMPSUs
are both low pf, albeit in different ways.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

And modern pf reporting power meters
have a habit of talking nonsense.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 13:17:14 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

I do have fun thrashing the straw in your thick senile head, senile Rodent!
And there will never be a way out of it for you again! LOL!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

In article ,
Jon Fairbairn wrote:
Not true at all. If you're lucky they'll work fine together.
If you're unlucky the lamps will use CR PSUs which die
quickly on trailing or leading edge dimmers.

Particularly if the LED load is less than the minumum rated load
of the dimmer. The smell from an exploded LED bulb hangs around
for weeks.

Can you explain the theory behind that?

I dont have theory, I have practice.

But I imagine that (assuming some inductor in the dimmer
circuit) if the load is too low it generates spikes ‰« 240V that
the LED cant handle. Of course, it could have been coincidence,
but Im certain about the smell.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 14:42:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge
dimmer.

then you've not used a CR PSU led light for that job.

How would I know a CR PSU from an LED that simply says 'dimmable'
(with a
suitable dimmer) ?

Dimmable LEDs can not contain CR PSUs, they don't survive chopper
dimming.

The only way to tell a CR PSU LED from an SMPSU LED is to open it up..

Thats bull****, you can measure it too.

It is possible to scope the mains current
waveform to see what's going on,

Thats not the only way to measure it.

whether it is or not has no relevance to a non-electronics person asking how they can distinguish one form the other.

your junk snipped
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 14:42:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge
dimmer.

then you've not used a CR PSU led light for that job.

How would I know a CR PSU from an LED that simply says 'dimmable'
(with a
suitable dimmer) ?

Dimmable LEDs can not contain CR PSUs, they don't survive chopper
dimming.

The only way to tell a CR PSU LED from an SMPSU LED is to open it
up.

Thats bull****, you can measure it too.

It is possible to scope the mains current
waveform to see what's going on,

Thats not the only way to measure it.

whether it is or not has no relevance to a
non-electronics person asking how they
can distinguish one form the other.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

A non electronics person wouldnt be able to
work out what type of PSU it has even after
they had opened it up, you pathetic excuse
for a bull**** artist.

And the plow**** is in fact an electronics person, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 14:42:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

it's easy to spot the difference.

you pathetic excuse
for a bull**** artist.

that honour is all yours

And the plow**** is in fact an electronics person,

with no familiarity with LED PSUs. But I'm sure he could tell a SMPSU from a capacitor on sight

****wit.

you certainly are.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 06:25:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

You certainly KEEP bull****ting your way FAST into your grave, you
despicable trolling senile idiot!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 14:42:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

Not for a non electronics person, you
pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

And the plow**** is in fact an
electronics person, ****wit.

with no familiarity with LED PSUs.

Thats bull**** too.

But I'm sure he could tell a SMPSU from a capacitor on sight

And would certainly be able to measure the led bulb
to see what sort of PSU it has, and even has a scope
and knows how to use it too, you pathetic excuse for
a bull**** artist.

Keep digging, you'll be out in china any day now.
Hopefully in Hubin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rubbish snipped. Don;t think I need waste any more time on you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 07:38:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile cretin's endless troll****

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 20:38:35 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Don;t think I need waste any more time on you

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 12:10:45 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Don;t think I need waste any more time on you

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

You KEEP bull****ting your way FAST into your grave, you abnormal
85-year-old trolling senile asshole!

cretin from Oz: