Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default surfacing a drive

I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone that's
about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of it is on
a one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer bits of stone
get washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a proper surface,
but what? It is purely a utility area so appearance doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot
wide by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?
I wish my dad was still alive. He was in the road surfacing game in
supervisory roles for the last half of his working life. he'd know what
to do.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote

I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone that's
about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of it is on
a one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer bits of stone
get washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a proper surface,
but what? It is purely a utility area so appearance doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot
wide by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?

Concrete works much better.

I wish my dad was still alive. He was in the road surfacing game in
supervisory roles for the last half of his working life. he'd know what
to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 01:56:01 UTC, williamwright wrote:
I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone that's
about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of it is on
a one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer bits of stone
get washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a proper surface,
but what? It is purely a utility area so appearance doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot
wide by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?
I wish my dad was still alive. He was in the road surfacing game in
supervisory roles for the last half of his working life. he'd know what
to do.

Bill

I assume you're going to DIY,in which case concrete is your best bet.
For utility, you only need do the sloping bit or even two parallel strips where the wheels run.
You need to think if trucks use it, there may be a need for reinforcing steel. Almost invariably the case. It only takes one truck to wreck it.

Sloping gravel roads need barriers at intervals and side ditches to direct the water off the road and convey it away.

The barriers can be a simple tump across the road at 45deg
They need regular attention as wheels wear them away and fine material piles up behind them.

You also need to avoid "tramlining" by driving allover a gravel road to equalise out the wear. (Water runs down the tramlines.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Blimey, long drive that. Round here there is a bloke who used a kind of
bonded shingle like stuff on his hard standing. OK for about two years, now
the embedded pebble bits are all coming away and ending up on the footway
and in the road, pedestrians are slipping and rolling on them and cursing
his choice. It just goes to show that something that looks nice might have
hidden dangers.
If your limestone is breaking up, then I rather suspect whatever you
attempt to cover it with will not stay put very long once rain gets under
the surface, that is the problem.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" wrote in message
I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone that's
about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of it is on a
one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer bits of stone get
washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a proper surface, but
what? It is purely a utility area so appearance doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot wide
by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?
I wish my dad was still alive. He was in the road surfacing game in
supervisory roles for the last half of his working life. he'd know what to
do.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:08:17 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Concrete works much better.

You have no idea how he uses his driveway, senile wisenheimer.

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 1:56:01 AM UTC, williamwright wrote:
I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone that's
about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of it is on
a one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer bits of stone
get washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a proper surface,
but what? It is purely a utility area so appearance doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot
wide by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?
I wish my dad was still alive. He was in the road surfacing game in
supervisory roles for the last half of his working life. he'd know what
to do.

Bill

We had a loose gravel drive but the young adults in the family woUld not slow down for the bend so the gravel all ended up on the outside of it. I gave up on raking it, too much like hard work, so we tarmacadamed it over 20 years ago and its is still going strong. Moss is the only problem. Its a damn sight easier to gather leaves from. Billygoat ( https://www.billygoat.com/eu/en_gb/p...r-vacuums.html )sees to that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , williamwright
writes
I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone
that's about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of
it is on a one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer
bits of stone get washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a
proper surface, but what? It is purely a utility area so appearance
doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot
wide by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?
I wish my dad was still alive. He was in the road surfacing game in
supervisory roles for the last half of his working life. he'd know what
to do.

I've been looking at clip together plastic grid sections for our *almost
level* drive. 'kin expensive considering they claim to be re-cycled
material. Neighbours have 20mm pebbles and that is noisy and moves
about. I would fill with 6-10mm roadstone if we ever do it.

Highways get very cross if you allow loose material from your drive to
reach their road surface!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173167663196

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 01:55:58 +0000, williamwright wrote:

I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone that's
about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of it is on
a one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer bits of stone
get washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a proper surface,
but what? It is purely a utility area so appearance doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot
wide by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?

For a hard wearing utility area I'd go for concrete especially if it has
to carry a regular load. Bitmac is good for a residential drive taking
mostly domestic vehicles with the occasional heavy wagon.

What the relative costs are I don't know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2020 10:44, Bev wrote:
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 01:55:58 +0000, williamwright wrote:

I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone that's
about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of it is on
a one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer bits of stone
get washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a proper surface,
but what? It is purely a utility area so appearance doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot
wide by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?

For a hard wearing utility area I'd go for concrete especially if it has
to carry a regular load. Bitmac is good for a residential drive taking
mostly domestic vehicles with the occasional heavy wagon.

What the relative costs are I don't know.

Concrete is not a good choice if you put down salt to counteract icy
conditions for it causes the concrete
to crumble away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth Evans Wrote in message:
On 11/02/2020 10:44, Bev wrote:
[...]

Doesnt seem to bother large stretches of motorway?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 10:56:13 +0000, Gareth Evans wrote:

On 11/02/2020 10:44, Bev wrote:
[...]

If you oversalt it does but just don't oversalt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2020 01:55, williamwright wrote:
I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone that's
about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of it is on
a one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer bits of stone
get washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a proper surface,
but what? It is purely a utility area so appearance doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot
wide by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?
I wish my dad was still alive. He was in the road surfacing game in
supervisory roles for the last half of his working life. he'd know what
to do.

Bill

One of my neighbours had this problem in the steeper bit of slope down
to the road, in the end they installed concrete moulded to imitate worn
stone blocks which does not look too bad, and controls the worst of the
migration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

But is a bugger to walk on. Nothing wrong with flat concrete.

and controls the worst of the migration.

Makes more sense to do the whole thing in concrete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 05:20:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

One of my neighbours had this problem in the steeper bit of slope down to
the road, in the end they installed concrete moulded to imitate worn stone
blocks which does not look too bad,

But is a bugger to walk on. Nothing wrong with flat concrete.

You don't know the circumstances, you "all-knowing" senile Arsetralian!

and controls the worst of the migration.

Makes more sense to do the whole thing in concrete.

Would make more sense if you just swallowed your Nembutal! What did you buy
it for anyway, you 85-year-old trolling senile pest?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2020 10:56, Gareth Evans wrote:
On 11/02/2020 10:44, Bev wrote:
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 01:55:58 +0000, williamwright wrote:

I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone that's
about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of it is on
a one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer bits of stone
get washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a proper surface,
but what? It is purely a utility area so appearance doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot
wide by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?

Brush some dry mix into the part on the slope to help bind it together?

For a hard wearing utility area I'd go for concrete especially if it has
to carry a regular load.Â* Bitmac is good for a residential drive taking
mostly domestic vehicles with the occasional heavy wagon.

What the relative costs are I don't know.

Concrete is not a good choice if you put down salt to counteract icy
conditions for it causes the concrete
to crumble away.

Only if it is particularly low grade concrete and you add a heck of a
lot of salt. A local village had new fancy coloured concrete paving
slabs laid which never really looked up to the job and turned out to be
easily destroyed by salt and freeze thaw action the first winter.

My drive is ribbed concrete and slope about 20%. It has survived salt
and is well behaved. I gather that modern practice is not to have such
ribs any more. Neighbours was done by the same contractor last year and
they now do a smooth finish which resists salt attack even better.

My drive is at least 4 decades old and shows no signs of the concrete
deteriorating despite occasionally getting the coal wagon on it. It was
laid in rafts about 12'x20' with about 1" gaps between them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown