Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A bit windy

On 14/02/2020 13:03, bert wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
writes
On 13/02/2020 16:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking
after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)
Â*Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Both my current previous cars will park the wipers if you switch right
off - and even remove the key.

SteveW

Then what did they do with the keys?

Mine still have keys!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
bert wrote:
In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking
after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Quite. But there will always be makers who think they know better.

Well in the electronic age they have a new toy to play with and gadgetry
seems to be the new L GL GLS badge.

I'm happy with gadgets. But not when they do something that looks like it
could be dangerous to me.

Self parking wipers cause you sleepless nights?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking
after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Yes. In my experience, self-parking wipers are only any use if you pause in
the Accessory position after turning off the engine, until the wipers have
parked. And how many of us do that? Many times I've had the wipers park
themselves only when I next come to the car and turn the ignition on.

Now I always turn my wipers off at the stalk before turning off the ignition
key, because that is less fiddly than trying to hit Accessory as opposed to
Off to trigger the wipers to park themselves without removing all power so
they stay put half-way across the screen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking

after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Quite. But there will always be makers who think they know better.

I am sure the fist Mini I owned had two setting for the wipers.

On or Off.

ISTR the number plate was LCP140N.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 18:55, NY wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

These days many cars have the wipers, heated rear screen, central
locking, etc., all controlled by the same module. It has to remain
powered for the central locking and remote keyfob, so it is easy for it
to park the wipers, whether the ignition is on or off.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Fe" 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking
after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Quite. But there will always be makers who think they know better.

Well in the electronic age they have a new toy to play with and gadgetry
seems to be the new L GL GLS badge.

I'm happy with gadgets. But not when they do something that looks like it
could be dangerous to me.

Self parking wipers cause you sleepless nights?

Self parking wipers have been around as long as I have. Wipers that aren't
actually isolated by the ignition switch (even in software) simply stupid.
If you understand the difference.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:
Now I always turn my wipers off at the stalk before turning off the
ignition key, because that is less fiddly than trying to hit Accessory
as opposed to Off to trigger the wipers to park themselves without
removing all power so they stay put half-way across the screen.

Quite. Also if you don't and the wipers come on the next day when you go
to start the car, a good way to scratch the screen if it is dry.

--
*Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Quite. But there will always be makers who think they know better.

I am sure the fist Mini I owned had two setting for the wipers.

On or Off.

But had self parking. If that still worked.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
These days many cars have the wipers, heated rear screen, central
locking, etc., all controlled by the same module. It has to remain
powered for the central locking and remote keyfob, so it is easy for it
to park the wipers, whether the ignition is on or off.

My car has CANbus control. But the ignition switch still isolates the
wipers. In some ways it might be nice to have the single wipe active with
the ignition off - for when you're in the car parked up on a rainy day.

But under those conditions it also switches the radio off after about 20
minutes. ;-) Even with the key in the ignition.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 11:11:53 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My car has CANbus control. But the ignition switch still isolates the
wipers. In some ways it might be nice to have the single wipe active with
the ignition off - for when you're in the car parked up on a rainy day.
But under those conditions it also switches the radio off after about 20
minutes. ;-) Even with the key in the ignition.

.... wrote Jeremy Clarkson in 'Dogging Magazine'.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 11:11:53 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My car has CANbus control. But the ignition switch still isolates the
wipers. In some ways it might be nice to have the single wipe active
with the ignition off - for when you're in the car parked up on a
rainy day. But under those conditions it also switches the radio off
after about 20 minutes. ;-) Even with the key in the ignition.

... wrote Jeremy Clarkson in 'Dogging Magazine'.

;-)

More like eating a meal deal in a Tesco car park.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , NY writes
"Tim+" wrote in message

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking
after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Yes. In my experience, self-parking wipers are only any use if you
pause in the Accessory position after turning off the engine, until the
wipers have parked. And how many of us do that? Many times I've had the
wipers park themselves only when I next come to the car and turn the
ignition on.

Best done on a frosty night though lest in the morning when you switch
on the ignition the wipers are frozen to the windscreen.
Now I always turn my wipers off at the stalk before turning off the
ignition key, because that is less fiddly than trying to hit Accessory
as opposed to Off to trigger the wipers to park themselves without
removing all power so they stay put half-way across the screen.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking
after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Quite. But there will always be makers who think they know better.

I am sure the fist Mini I owned had two setting for the wipers.

On or Off.

ISTR the number plate was LCP140N.

Did it have shoe prints on the roof lining?
--
bert