Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stormy day, all interconnectors are on 'import'

Although the wind always blows somewhere, it isn't always the right wind
in the right place at the right time.

With demand at 1030 of ~33GW, wind is producing only 9GW, but all the
interconnectors are on 'import' (a total of about 4.5 GW), hydro and
pumped hydro are contributing 1.3 GW and OCGT is on 0.7GW.

Solar is, as expected, 0 GW.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2020 12:23, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 10:38:19 +0000, Spike
wrote:

Although the wind always blows somewhere, it isn't always the right wind
in the right place at the right time.

With demand at 1030 of ~33GW, wind is producing only 9GW, but all the
interconnectors are on 'import' (a total of about 4.5 GW), hydro and
pumped hydro are contributing 1.3 GW and OCGT is on 0.7GW.

Solar is, as expected, 0 GW.

So much for Harry's prediction that we'll be exporting power when the
storm hits us. But I'm surprised both coal and OCGTs are up when
CCGT's don't seem to be flat out.

Yes: those are probably 'emergency standby' generation being run up. To
make sure it can be.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Although the wind always blows somewhere, it isn't always the right wind
in the right place at the right time.

With demand at 1030 of ~33GW, wind is producing only 9GW, but all the
interconnectors are on 'import' (a total of about 4.5 GW), hydro and
pumped hydro are contributing 1.3 GW and OCGT is on 0.7GW.

Solar is, as expected, 0 GW.

So much for Harry's prediction that we'll be exporting power when the
storm hits us. But I'm surprised both coal and OCGTs are up when CCGT's
don't seem to be flat out.

Can't speak for anywhere else, but our use of heating is affected by wind
over outside temperature. I guess it's the cooling effect of air moving
underneath the floorboards and through the roof space ?

the boundary layer round a house is insulation, too. Wind strips that away.

That said we're gas heated

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I expected that as I said here earlier in the week, somebody needs to
find a way to make electricity out of the gusty chaotic winds we tend to get
a lot of in this part of the world.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Spike" wrote in message

Although the wind always blows somewhere, it isn't always the right wind
in the right place at the right time.

With demand at 1030 of ~33GW, wind is producing only 9GW, but all the
interconnectors are on 'import' (a total of about 4.5 GW), hydro and
pumped hydro are contributing 1.3 GW and OCGT is on 0.7GW.

Solar is, as expected, 0 GW.

--
Spike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 10:38:25 UTC, Spike wrote:
Solar is, as expected, 0 GW.

It's actually been nice and sunny here.

Unless your solar panels have blown off the roof, of course.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We'll be getting that next week according to the various
weather bulletins.

You wouldn't want to be living underground in Appleby at the moment.
Maybe they should hold the annual pikey gathering there at this time
of year?.

Lucky then we don't have the winds and cold weather at the same time.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe we should be all living underground.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Although the wind always blows somewhere, it isn't always the right
wind in the right place at the right time.

With demand at 1030 of ~33GW, wind is producing only 9GW, but all the
interconnectors are on 'import' (a total of about 4.5 GW), hydro and
pumped hydro are contributing 1.3 GW and OCGT is on 0.7GW.

Solar is, as expected, 0 GW.

So much for Harry's prediction that we'll be exporting power when the
storm hits us. But I'm surprised both coal and OCGTs are up when
CCGT's don't seem to be flat out.

Can't speak for anywhere else, but our use of heating is affected by
wind over outside temperature. I guess it's the cooling effect of air
moving underneath the floorboards and through the roof space ?

the boundary layer round a house is insulation, too. Wind strips that
away.

That said we're gas heated

Yeah, I did wonder. I can see on a cold still day, the air acting like a
"shell" around the house so the heating seems more efficient. As soon as
the wind moves that around you need more heat to achieve the same
internal temperature.

My biggest irritation at the moment is that being a bungalow, there's a
large (3C) temperature gradient between one side of the house and the
other. It can be 15C one side while 18C the other.

If you have no insulation under your floorboards and the crawl space is
well ventilated then you lose a significant amount of heat downwards.
A good quality 80/20 wool carpet and underlay is quite effective as
insulation, but fitting rockwool on suspended netting between the
floor joists is even better.

A house with solid ground floors loses most of its ground-floor
heat loss, through the metre-wide strip of floor all around the
perimeter.

Building regs part L docs have lots of tables to allow you to calculate
the heat lost through that route. A house built on land that slopes down
towards the North, where the ground floor of the north facing rooms
is/are significantly above ground level will suffer badly when
there is cold north wind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Although the wind always blows somewhere, it isn't always the right wind
in the right place at the right time.

With demand at 1030 of ~33GW, wind is producing only 9GW, but all the
interconnectors are on 'import' (a total of about 4.5 GW), hydro and
pumped hydro are contributing 1.3 GW and OCGT is on 0.7GW.

Solar is, as expected, 0 GW.

So much for Harry's prediction that we'll be exporting power when the
storm hits us. But I'm surprised both coal and OCGTs are up when
CCGT's don't seem to be flat out.

There are several CCGT generation operators who also own wind generation. If
they are located in the same zone then the cost of operating the wind generation
directly saves fuel and incurs no extra transmission network costs.

Both coal and OCGT will be there for stability reasons in the case of a system
split with a transmission disruption and to a lesser extent to cater for wind
output variation with the relatively high speed of passage of weather fronts,
something that challenges the prediction model immensely.

In the case of the coal generation it will be loaded to somewhere in the range
of 70-80% where dropping to 50% load or increasing to 100% load is relatively
fast and without much drama.