DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Storage: which kind of Bags (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/644426-storage-kind-bags.html)

john west February 8th 20 11:50 AM

Storage: which kind of Bags

Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a
ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.
Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to
carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably
'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

charles February 8th 20 12:05 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

In article ,
john west wrote:
Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a
ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.
Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to
carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably
'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

IKEA or Lidl 'big' bags? You don't have to fill them.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Chris J Dixon February 8th 20 12:08 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

john west wrote:

Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a
ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.
Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to
carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably
'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

I guess the supermarket "Bag for life" types are going to be
reasonably long-lived, though they aren't free.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

[email protected] February 8th 20 12:25 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 11:50:08 UTC, john west wrote:
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

Depends on the type of "junk" - the "vacuum" bags are good for squashable things like bedding.

Owain

Tim+[_5_] February 8th 20 12:29 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

john west wrote:
Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a
ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.
Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to
carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably
'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

Im not sure that any supermarket bags are €śoxy-degradable€ť any more. I
know we certainly used to have a problem with supermarket carrier bags
disintegrating in the loft but in recent years our Christmas decorations
have stayed with their bags. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

alan_m February 8th 20 12:35 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

On 08/02/2020 12:25, wrote:
On Saturday, 8 February 2020 11:50:08 UTC, john west wrote:
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

Depends on the type of "junk" - the "vacuum" bags are good for squashable things like bedding.

Be careful with some of these. After a while they leak, and as the air
re-enters the contents expand again.

[email protected] February 8th 20 01:21 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 12:35:15 UTC, alan_m wrote:
Depends on the type of "junk" - the "vacuum" bags are good for squashable things like bedding.

Be careful with some of these. After a while they leak, and as the air
re-enters the contents expand again.

so you have to suck them flat again before you can get them out of the loft hatch :-)

Owain

Max Demian February 8th 20 02:19 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

On 08/02/2020 12:08, Chris J Dixon wrote:
john west wrote:

Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a
ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.
Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to
carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably
'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

I guess the supermarket "Bag for life" types are going to be
reasonably long-lived, though they aren't free.

They are around here as people throw away their rubbish in them: I
retrieve them if they are clean.

--
Max Demian

Jim GM4DHJ ... February 8th 20 06:07 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

On 08/02/2020 12:25, wrote:
On Saturday, 8 February 2020 11:50:08 UTC, john west wrote:
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

Depends on the type of "junk" - the "vacuum" bags are good for squashable things like bedding.

Owain

if they work which most don't ....

Rod Speed February 8th 20 07:26 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

john west wrote

Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing
it down a ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.

Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very
handy to carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now
probably degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.

They always did even when not biodegradable.

Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or
similar?) that will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

The replacement long life shopping bags obviously.

Peeler[_4_] February 8th 20 08:04 PM

Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 06:26:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very
handy to carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now
probably degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.

They always did even when not biodegradable.

No, they didn't senile idiot!

Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or
similar?) that will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

The replacement long life shopping bags obviously.

Several people provided that answer already, you senile cretin! Just what in
hell makes you believe someone's answer is only valid when YOU senile retard
confirm it?

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

[email protected] February 8th 20 09:10 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

On 08/02/2020 12:25, wrote:
On Saturday, 8 February 2020 11:50:08 UTC, john west wrote:
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

Depends on the type of "junk" - the "vacuum" bags are good for squashable things like bedding.

Be careful with some of these. After a while they leak, and as the air
re-enters the contents expand again.

A vacuum is a hard thing to maintain, and a thin plastic bag with a zip top not much of a barrier. If you need the clothes to stay compressed, vacuum them down then bind them with a few wraps of tape. You don't need the vacuum any more then.

NT

alan_m February 8th 20 09:41 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

On 08/02/2020 13:21, wrote:
On Saturday, 8 February 2020 12:35:15 UTC, alan_m wrote:
Depends on the type of "junk" - the "vacuum" bags are good for squashable things like bedding.

Be careful with some of these. After a while they leak, and as the air
re-enters the contents expand again.

so you have to suck them flat again before you can get them out of the loft hatch :-)

Owain

Or when packed high in the loft pushing off the tiles :)

Steve Walker[_5_] February 8th 20 09:49 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

On 08/02/2020 12:29, Tim+ wrote:
john west wrote:
Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a
ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.
Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to
carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably
'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

Im not sure that any supermarket bags are €śoxy-degradable€ť any more. I
know we certainly used to have a problem with supermarket carrier bags
disintegrating in the loft but in recent years our Christmas decorations
have stayed with their bags. ;-)

We recently went to M&S and the cashier commented about the old M&S
plastic bag that we were using for our shopping - that's when we
realised that it was a bag that we'd recently retrieved from the loft,
where it had been protecting towels since we were given them, when we
got married in 2002!

SteveW

Chris Green February 8th 20 10:42 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

Steve Walker wrote:
On 08/02/2020 12:29, Tim+ wrote:
john west wrote:
[...]

Young whippersnappers! We have bags from Saudi and Omani shops
acquired in the 1970s and 1980s, we worked in both countries for
several years. We got married in 1972.

--
Chris Green
·

Roland Perry February 9th 20 08:25 AM

Storage: which kind of Bags

In message , at 11:50:06 on Sat, 8 Feb 2020,
john west remarked:
Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a
ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.
Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy
to carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably
'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

https://www.homebase.co.uk/105l-moving-bag_p384099

Smaller sizes are available.
--
Roland Perry

John Kenyon February 9th 20 11:11 AM

Storage: which kind of Bags

john west wrote:

Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a
ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.
Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to
carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably
'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

AFAIK, only Tesco were stupid enough to introduce disintegrating bags,
which they later replaced with "normal" "single use" bags prior to the
clampdown.

I guess the supermarket "Bag for life" types are going to be
reasonably long-lived, though they aren't free.

They are around here as people throw away their rubbish in them: I
retrieve them if they are clean.

You can then "accidentally" rip them and swap them for clean ones when
you visit the respective establishment, with the side effect of the bag
exiting the landfill dead end and (theoretically) entering the recycling
chain.

Fredxx[_3_] February 9th 20 11:50 AM

Storage: which kind of Bags

john west wrote:

Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a
ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.
Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to
carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably
'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

AFAIK, only Tesco were stupid enough to introduce disintegrating bags,
which they later replaced with "normal" "single use" bags prior to the
clampdown.

Around here it was the Co-op, and not Tescos.

Max Demian February 9th 20 06:07 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

On 09/02/2020 11:50, Fredxx wrote:
On 09/02/2020 11:11:13, John Kenyon wrote:

AFAIK, only Tesco were stupid enough to introduce disintegrating bags,
which they later replaced with "normal" "single use" bags prior to the
clampdown.

Around here it was the Co-op, and not Tescos.

A few years ago Ryman gave away bags which told you to reuse them but
they disintegrated if you kept them more than a few months.

--
Max Demian

Andrew[_22_] February 12th 20 05:07 PM

Storage: which kind of Bags

On 08/02/2020 21:49, Steve Walker wrote:
On 08/02/2020 12:29, Tim+ wrote:
john west wrote:
Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a
ladder and sorting it and then putting some back.
Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to
carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably
'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces.
Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that
will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

Im not sure that any supermarket bags are €śoxy-degradable€ť any more. I
know we certainly used to have a problem with supermarket carrier bags
disintegrating in the loft but in recent years our Christmas decorations
have stayed with their bags.Â* ;-)

We recently went to M&S and the cashier commented about the old M&S
plastic bag that we were using for our shopping - that's when we
realised that it was a bag that we'd recently retrieved from the loft,
where it had been protecting towels since we were given them, when we
got married in 2002!

SteveW

Did it say 'Over 90% of our clothes are made in the UK' ?.:-)