Old February 7th 20, 12:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Driving at night

Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Old February 7th 20, 02:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
John [email protected] wrote:
Night driving is made harder by: People with dirty and poorly aimed
headlights. Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light
everwhere. Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights
at the eyes of drivers.

And simply getting old.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 7th 20, 02:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" [email protected] wrote in message
2.222...
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Drivers who don't dip their headlights when you can see them coming towards
you. (That goes without saying, which I presume is why you didn't mention
it.)

Drivers who leave their rear (red) foglights on even when it isn't foggy.

Drivers who keep their brake lights on when they are stopped for many
minutes in a queue of traffic, dazzling and "destroying" the night vision of
the drivers behind. (*)

Drivers who don't use full beam when it is safe/considerate to do so (ie
when there's nothing in front of them) which makes it more difficult to see
where the road ahead of them goes when you want to overtake them. I tend to
put my beam on as soon as I'm level with the car, so at least *I* can see
where the road goes beyond the distance that their dipped headlights lights
up.

(*) I was once stuck in a long queue of traffic that had been diverted
because the main road had been closed due to an accident. The diversion has
a staggered crossroads where all four roads are busy so it needs traffic
lights - but because it is staggered, the lights only let traffic in one
direction (as opposed to two facing directions) go at once, so queues
quickly built up. There were long period where the traffic was stationary,
and then occasions when everyone shuffled forward about 100 yards. The guy
in front of me kept his foot on his footbrake all the time he was
stationary, so all I could see was three big red blobs from his brake
lights. I put my sun visor down and closed my eyes. The light was so bright
even through my eyelids that I could see when they went out and knew that it
was safe to move forwards a bit. Even so, it was difficult to see the road
ahead for the first few seconds because my night vision had been "destroyed"
by the bright light and took a while to recover. I'm not sure whether he had
an automatic and was too lazy to put it into neutral and apply the handbrake
whenever he was stopped - after all, it was easy to work out that each time
we stopped it would be for at least a minute. I suffered in silence because
I didn't want to cause conflict, but eventually the guy behind me (who could
see the brake lights through my windscreen) leapt out and yelled "For F's
sake take your foot off the brake when you've stopped", and I heard a few
cheers from other drivers behind me ;-) The offender decided to play silly
buggers so he then took to doing an emergency stop whenever he got close to
the car in front - luckily I wasn't too close when he first did it, and I
was wise to his little game after that. I resisted the temptation (and it
was hard to resist!) to put my headlights on full beam so *he* would be
dazzled like he was doing to me.

Old February 7th 20, 03:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 11:47:05 GMT, John [email protected] wrote:

Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

And cars with LED headlights.
Old February 7th 20, 03:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Old eyes that do not react fast enough to rapidly changing light levels.

--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Old February 7th 20, 03:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 February 2020 11:47:08 UTC, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

And pedestrian crossings with low refresh rate LED displays at eye level (for the pedestrians) - move your eyes across and you get a line of red dots hanging in the air.

And several disorders such as hypothyroidism.

And winter. It is usually much easier on summaer nights.

Old February 7th 20, 04:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

we do ... live with it...

Old February 7th 20, 04:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

HUGE 4x4 that have their headlights focused on the middle of your rear
screen even on dipped....
Old February 7th 20, 04:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 15:14:20 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

HUGE 4x4 that have their headlights focused on the middle of your rear
screen even on dipped....

In 2002 I recall being blinded by a (then new) Mercedes that pulled
out in front of me in a long traffic queue one wet night. It had the
brightest rear brake light (at the bottom of the rear screen) I've
ever seen. It was atrocious and really made me see red in more ways
than one. I'm guessing a less phlegmatic person than I would have
jumped out and thumped the driver (and I'll bet not a few drives did!)
I can't recall the model now after all these years but I'm sure the
manufacturers would have had to recall them to dim them down.
Old February 7th 20, 05:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
[...]

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask, do any cars dim there
lights automatically depending on ambient light? It seems that
the usual (German) suspects do not, judging by the way their
brake lights blind me at night. traffic lights have had light
sensors for decades.
--
__
%Profound_observation%