Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Driving at night

Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:
Night driving is made harder by: People with dirty and poorly aimed
headlights. Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light
everwhere. Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights
at the eyes of drivers.

And simply getting old.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
2.222...
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Drivers who don't dip their headlights when you can see them coming towards
you. (That goes without saying, which I presume is why you didn't mention
it.)

Drivers who leave their rear (red) foglights on even when it isn't foggy.

Drivers who keep their brake lights on when they are stopped for many
minutes in a queue of traffic, dazzling and "destroying" the night vision of
the drivers behind. (*)

Drivers who don't use full beam when it is safe/considerate to do so (ie
when there's nothing in front of them) which makes it more difficult to see
where the road ahead of them goes when you want to overtake them. I tend to
put my beam on as soon as I'm level with the car, so at least *I* can see
where the road goes beyond the distance that their dipped headlights lights
up.

(*) I was once stuck in a long queue of traffic that had been diverted
because the main road had been closed due to an accident. The diversion has
a staggered crossroads where all four roads are busy so it needs traffic
lights - but because it is staggered, the lights only let traffic in one
direction (as opposed to two facing directions) go at once, so queues
quickly built up. There were long period where the traffic was stationary,
and then occasions when everyone shuffled forward about 100 yards. The guy
in front of me kept his foot on his footbrake all the time he was
stationary, so all I could see was three big red blobs from his brake
lights. I put my sun visor down and closed my eyes. The light was so bright
even through my eyelids that I could see when they went out and knew that it
was safe to move forwards a bit. Even so, it was difficult to see the road
ahead for the first few seconds because my night vision had been "destroyed"
by the bright light and took a while to recover. I'm not sure whether he had
an automatic and was too lazy to put it into neutral and apply the handbrake
whenever he was stopped - after all, it was easy to work out that each time
we stopped it would be for at least a minute. I suffered in silence because
I didn't want to cause conflict, but eventually the guy behind me (who could
see the brake lights through my windscreen) leapt out and yelled "For F's
sake take your foot off the brake when you've stopped", and I heard a few
cheers from other drivers behind me ;-) The offender decided to play silly
buggers so he then took to doing an emergency stop whenever he got close to
the car in front - luckily I wasn't too close when he first did it, and I
was wise to his little game after that. I resisted the temptation (and it
was hard to resist!) to put my headlights on full beam so *he* would be
dazzled like he was doing to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 11:47:05 GMT, John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:

Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

And cars with LED headlights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Old eyes that do not react fast enough to rapidly changing light levels.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 February 2020 11:47:08 UTC, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

And pedestrian crossings with low refresh rate LED displays at eye level (for the pedestrians) - move your eyes across and you get a line of red dots hanging in the air.

And several disorders such as hypothyroidism.

And winter. It is usually much easier on summaer nights.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

we do ... live with it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

HUGE 4x4 that have their headlights focused on the middle of your rear
screen even on dipped....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 15:14:20 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

HUGE 4x4 that have their headlights focused on the middle of your rear
screen even on dipped....

In 2002 I recall being blinded by a (then new) Mercedes that pulled
out in front of me in a long traffic queue one wet night. It had the
brightest rear brake light (at the bottom of the rear screen) I've
ever seen. It was atrocious and really made me see red in more ways
than one. I'm guessing a less phlegmatic person than I would have
jumped out and thumped the driver (and I'll bet not a few drives did!)
I can't recall the model now after all these years but I'm sure the
manufacturers would have had to recall them to dim them down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
[...]

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask, do any cars dim there
lights automatically depending on ambient light? It seems that
the usual (German) suspects do not, judging by the way their
brake lights blind me at night. traffic lights have had light
sensors for decades.
--
__
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin James Smith wrote in
:

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 11:47:05 GMT, John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:

Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light
everwhere. Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive
lights at the eyes
of drivers.

And cars with LED headlights.

Cars with normal bulbs replaced with LED are the worse as the LED light
source is not quite where the filament was. Therefore there is some
scatter.
Dirty lenses also scatter the light.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
[...]

Ambient light is not an adequate basis for dimming. If they could assess how visible they are to anyone who might need to see the light, then that would make sense. Like through the spray you are throwing out behind at speed on a motorway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 February 2020 11:47:08 UTC, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

You might have incipient cataracts. The lens in your eye becomes cloudy and causes scatter.
My neighbour just had his eyes done, (plastic lenses) reckons it cured his similar problem.

But these LED headlights ARE a pain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:
And cars with LED headlights.

Cars with normal bulbs replaced with LED are the worse as the LED light
source is not quite where the filament was. Therefore there is some
scatter.

That entirely depends on the type of headlight. Projector types - with a
bulls eye in front of the bulb - are very tolerant of bulb type.
Tungsten, HID or LED all give a similar and well controlled beam pattern.

You'll see that demonstrated on U Tube if you're interested.

--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 13:51, NY wrote:
"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
2.222...
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Drivers who don't dip their headlights when you can see them coming
towards you. (That goes without saying, which I presume is why you
didn't mention it.)

Drivers who leave their rear (red) foglights on even when it isn't foggy.

Drivers who keep their brake lights on when they are stopped for many
minutes in a queue of traffic, dazzling and "destroying" the night
vision of the drivers behind. (*)

Theoretically red light should leave *night vision* unaffected as the
rods are only sensitive by and affected by blue-green light (which is
why red lights are used in submarine cabins - to retain vision for the
periscope at night). I suspect that there is too much light during
normal driving to need the rods: and your blue sensitive cones should be OK.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 15:46:23 +0000 (GMT+00:00), Graham. wrote:

In 2002 I recall being blinded by a (then new) Mercedes ...

Mercs had horrible HID lights as well. Mate had one, he was following
me down the A68 (roamn road, so straight but hilly and bumpy) he was
a mile or more behind but everytime he crested a hill or hit a bump
it looked like he was flashing his headlights. Observation of other
cars exhibting similar "flashing" showed they were all Mercs.

traffic lights have had light sensors for decades.

Not aroud here. The set on Langwathby Bridge(*) don't dim at night.
The green is so bright that you can't see where the entrance to the
girder section is until you are past them and it's not straight on...

(*) Oldest temporary bridge in the UK having been put in place in
1968 after the 300 year old sandstone arch bridge was washed away in
floods a few months earlier.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 08:23:03 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google wrote:

Ambient light is not an adequate basis for dimming. If they could assess
how visible they are to anyone who might need to see the light, then
that would make sense. Like through the spray you are throwing out
behind at speed on a motorway.

Or just fog in daylight. Confuses the auto lights on my car, can be
in thick fog but with a relatively high light level so it switches
the lights off...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

That’s more evidence that there is something unusual
about your eyes. The driver of the car you are passing
can obviously see where they are going but you need
more light there.

Since you made the original comment I have never
been dazzled by those who keep their foot on the
brake when stopped at lights at night,

[...]

That’s more evidence that your eyes take longer than normal to adjust.

I've never had that effect and have never had to
close my eyes when stopped in traffic and almost
no one here doesn’t keep their foot on the brake
when stopped at traffic lights at night.

I'm not sure whether he had an automatic and was too lazy to put it into
neutral and apply the handbrake whenever he was stopped

Or doesn’t see the point in doing that.

- after all, it was easy to work out that each time we stopped it would be
for at least a minute. I suffered in silence because I didn't want to
cause conflict, but eventually the guy behind me (who could see the brake
lights through my windscreen) leapt out and yelled "For F's sake take your
foot off the brake when you've stopped", and I heard a few cheers from
other drivers behind me ;-) The offender decided to play silly buggers so
he then took to doing an emergency stop whenever he got close to the car
in front - luckily I wasn't too close when he first did it, and I was wise
to his little game after that. I resisted the temptation (and it was hard
to resist!) to put my headlights on full beam so *he* would be dazzled
like he was doing to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

Drivers who keep their brake lights on when they are stopped for many
minutes in a queue of traffic, dazzling and "destroying" the night
vision of the drivers behind.

My car has an "auto hold" feature, where it keeps brake pressure applied
once you take your foot off the brake, my previous card had it too.

The old car turned the brake lights off while held, so I made a point of
taking my foot off the brake pedal, and do the same with the new car,
but I've realised that the new one keeps the brake lights on until I
touch the accelerator to move off again :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
[...]

better being blinded than not seeing a wee ned in his fart can with dark
lenses on everything and inadequate bulbs.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote in
:

On Friday, 7 February 2020 11:47:08 UTC, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light
everwhere. Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive
lights at the eyes
of drivers.

You might have incipient cataracts. The lens in your eye becomes
cloudy and causes scatter. My neighbour just had his eyes done,
(plastic lenses) reckons it cured his similar problem.

But these LED headlights ARE a pain.

Eyes are fine - just being objective about the issues.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 05:39 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 05:39:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That’s more evidence that

05:39 in Australia? That's more evidence that you ARE a lonely forsaken
sleepless senile pest, senile Rodent!

"That’s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 16:04:55 GMT, John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:

Cars with normal bulbs replaced with LED are the worse as the LED light
source is not quite where the filament was. Therefore there is some
scatter.
Dirty lenses also scatter the light.

You're not supposed to use LED bulbs in car headlamps with
conventional reflector bowls; it's a *seriously* daft idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 February 2020 11:47:08 UTC, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Thinking about it, I have noticed a considerable reduction in the number of 500W halogen exterior floodlights and far fewer seriously mis-aimed headlamps in the past few years. Probably varies across the UK.

Also, in general, fewer obvious lighting faults in cars.

What is worse, in my experience, is the amount of sports lighting visible, sometimes, from miles away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

People who do not wear reflective items when crossing roads in odd places,
motorised scooters, and of course the new street lights which apparently
though giving more light do not actually show contrasts very well according
to some people I meet.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
2.222...
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/20 19:38, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 7 February 2020 11:47:08 UTC, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Thinking about it, I have noticed a considerable reduction in the number of 500W halogen exterior floodlights and far fewer seriously mis-aimed headlamps in the past few years. Probably varies across the UK.

Is that perhaps due to LED R7 replacements for 500W halogens giving less
than half the light that the halogens gave (2000 - 2400 against 6100
lumens)?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 February 2020 20:24:39 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/02/20 19:38, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 7 February 2020 11:47:08 UTC, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Thinking about it, I have noticed a considerable reduction in the number of 500W halogen exterior floodlights and far fewer seriously mis-aimed headlamps in the past few years. Probably varies across the UK.

Is that perhaps due to LED R7 replacements for 500W halogens giving less
than half the light that the halogens gave (2000 - 2400 against 6100
lumens)?

Possibly. But I really cannot remember the last time I saw a real blaster - the lights I do see seem to be better aimed, and (often) not left on so much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 16:39:23 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

Theoretically red light should leave *night vision* unaffected as the
rods are only sensitive by and affected by blue-green light (which is
why red lights are used in submarine cabins - to retain vision for the
periscope at night). I suspect that there is too much light during
normal driving to need the rods: and your blue sensitive cones should be
OK.

I can adjust the ambient lighting in the car to various colours. I chose
red.

wish to copy them they can pay me Β£1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

People who do not wear reflective items when crossing roads in odd places,
motorised scooters, and of course the new street lights which apparently
though giving more light do not actually show contrasts very well according
to some people I meet.

Also, being white, they often make it look like there is a car coming to
the end of a sideroad, just as you are turning in.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 13:51:26 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
. 92.222...
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Drivers who don't dip their headlights when you can see them coming towards
you. (That goes without saying, which I presume is why you didn't mention
it.)

Drivers who leave their rear (red) foglights on even when it isn't foggy.

Drivers who keep their brake lights on when they are stopped for many
minutes in a queue of traffic, dazzling and "destroying" the night vision of
the drivers behind. (*)

I've sometimes wondered if it was possible to construct a pull-down
half-silvered mirror to reflect the brake lights back to the offender.

Offenders often had one brake light burnt out from over-use.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 16:35:19 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article 2,
John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:
And cars with LED headlights.

Cars with normal bulbs replaced with LED are the worse as the LED light
source is not quite where the filament was. Therefore there is some
scatter.

That entirely depends on the type of headlight. Projector types - with a
bulls eye in front of the bulb - are very tolerant of bulb type.
Tungsten, HID or LED all give a similar and well controlled beam pattern.

You'll see that demonstrated on U Tube if you're interested.

I would dispute that - some cars give a dazzling blue side spill due
to the non-achromatic lens.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:

some cars give a dazzling blue side spill due
to the non-achromatic lens.

Do you wear glasses?

I do, and when looking askew in door mirror at following cars, DRLs tend
to show as a white light with a displaced blue light. Must say that I
never see any dazzling blue spill though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is that perhaps due to LED R7 replacements for 500W halogens giving
less than half the light that the halogens gave (2000 - 2400 against
6100 lumens)?

Possibly. But I really cannot remember the last time I saw a real
blaster - the lights I do see seem to be better aimed, and (often) not
left on so much.

The arrival of LED versions of outdoor floodlights seems to have spurred
people to add more and leave them on longer. Some huge ones on the front of
some houses - aimed almost horizontally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 23:43:24 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

People who do not wear reflective items when crossing roads in odd

places,

Yep, most pedestrians do wear dark clothing. Impossible to see at
night with no street lights. Don't carry a torch or have any retro
reflective clothing trim or arm bands or something.

the new street lights which apparently though giving more light do

not
actually show contrasts very well according to some people I meet.

Also, being white, they often make it look like there is a car coming to
the end of a sideroad, just as you are turning in.

Not just street lights, a lot of exterior lighting has moved to LED
and all close to the same colour. Is that the headlights of a car
through the trees or a light on a building? And the design of most
LED exterior lights means that even if you wish to mount and aim them
so light doesn't spill you can't as the "beam" of light is not much
less than 180 degrees.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 23:43:24 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

People who do not wear reflective items when crossing roads in odd

places,

Yep, most pedestrians do wear dark clothing. Impossible to see at
night with no street lights. Don't carry a torch or have any retro
reflective clothing trim or arm bands or something.

the new street lights which apparently though giving more light do

not
actually show contrasts very well according to some people I meet.

Also, being white, they often make it look like there is a car coming to
the end of a sideroad, just as you are turning in.

The elevated stretch of our by-pass *flicks* with light as vehicles with
those sideways beams pass gaps in the hedges.

Not just street lights, a lot of exterior lighting has moved to LED
and all close to the same colour. Is that the headlights of a car
through the trees or a light on a building? And the design of most
LED exterior lights means that even if you wish to mount and aim them
so light doesn't spill you can't as the "beam" of light is not much
less than 180 degrees.

I was annoyed when our B road street lamps were fitted with LED
replacement lamps. Much too bright in my view and not directional (I
understood that the previous sodium fittings had a lens which directed
most of the light in the direction of travel).
Coming home after 11pm yesterday, I was amused to note they are now as
dim as tired tungsten:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I used to have an old 1970s triumph dolomite and that had a relay and resistor block in the boot that dimmed all the rear lights if you had the headlights on
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
That entirely depends on the type of headlight. Projector types - with a
bulls eye in front of the bulb - are very tolerant of bulb type.
Tungsten, HID or LED all give a similar and well controlled beam pattern.

You'll see that demonstrated on U Tube if you're interested.

I would dispute that - some cars give a dazzling blue side spill due
to the non-achromatic lens.

If it gives a dazzling side spill, that will show up in the beam pattern?

Most of these projector lights produce a spike of light to the left which
lights up the side of the road way beyond the range of the main part of
the dip. If a car is parked on the wrong side of the road, headlights on,
oncoming cars get the full force of that spike.

*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Trevor Smith wrote:
I used to have an old 1970s triumph dolomite and that had a relay and
resistor block in the boot that dimmed all the rear lights if you had
the headlights on

Why would you want brighter tail lights in good visibility than bad?

More likely it dimmed the brake lights. As they have to be seen in
daylight.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2020 09:49, John wrote:

Is that perhaps due to LED R7 replacements for 500W halogens giving
less than half the light that the halogens gave (2000 - 2400 against
6100 lumens)?

Possibly. But I really cannot remember the last time I saw a real
blaster - the lights I do see seem to be better aimed, and (often) not
left on so much.

The arrival of LED versions of outdoor floodlights seems to have spurred
people to add more and leave them on longer. Some huge ones on the front of
some houses - aimed almost horizontally.

People don't realise that the 'reflector' is just 'decorative' and that
LED floods are omnidirectional within the limits of the frame. I fitted
one last week and with Paul up the ladder with a spanner I went to the
effective horizon (top of the yard) and gestured down a bit up a bit.
The light has ended up tilted downwards so much it looks odd but it
still throws light to the horizon. In the past I've had to restrict the
top of the beam with strips of black tape on the glass. I wish someone
would invent a LED flood with a bit of beam control. I realise the
problem is that the light isn't a single point source.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Night driving....

I ask as an optician, wondering whether to punt these things to people
who complain about such....

Has anyone got any specialised night driving lenses?
Hoya En Route for example, or Zeiss Drivesafe.

I don't actively sell them as they are damned expensive and the feedback
I have heard is mixed at best.