Old February 14th 20, 03:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Driving at night

On 14/02/2020 14:18, NY wrote:
Because if they set one eye to infinity and the other to reading
distance then *if the brain can cope with it* you have good vision at
both ends of the distance range without needing glasses for either. My
question was "is that feasible or can the brain not cope with ignoring
whichever image is out of focus?". I'm guessing that it isn't, otherwise
people who haven't had a cataract replaced would wear glasses that had
lenses of different strength so a single pair of glasses, worn all the
time, will cater for all situations without the need for multiple pairs,
bi/tri-focals or vari-focals. (*)

Utter total ********

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Old February 14th 20, 04:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:
Not necessarily "of course". I would expect the lens to be set to a
distance that gives good vision at some useful distance without needing
to wear glasses. And the two choices are probably infinity so you only
need to wear glasses for reading and other close work (maybe needing a
selection of different glasses for different distances) or else
reading, so you only need to wear glasses for longer distance such as
driving and walking around outside.

When age started making it more difficult to read (and use a computer) I
ordered up some contact lenses that were sort of half way. And although
they did make reading OK, I really couldn't put up with the poorer
distance vision. Seemed most unnatural to me, since I've had corrected
vision from a pretty early age. So soon just accepted I'd have to use a
reading aid. Might be difference for a presenter on TV etc, though. ;-)

Since my contact lenses correct for distance, ready made reading etc specs
are OK. And so cheap I can have enough to leave them were needed. ;-)

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 14th 20, 04:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 14/02/2020 14:18, NY wrote:
Because if they set one eye to infinity and the other to reading
distance then *if the brain can cope with it* you have good vision at
both ends of the distance range without needing glasses for either. My
question was "is that feasible or can the brain not cope with
ignoring whichever image is out of focus?". I'm guessing that it
isn't, otherwise people who haven't had a cataract replaced would
wear glasses that had lenses of different strength so a single pair
of glasses, worn all the time, will cater for all situations without
the need for multiple pairs, bi/tri-focals or vari-focals. (*)

Utter total ********

Some do apparently get on with one normal eye one short sighted. But I
really can't see that being as good as having as near perfect distance
vision as possible.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Old February 14th 20, 11:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 13/02/2020 22:52, bert wrote:
In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
bert wrote:
In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
I'm with Tim here. A lot of deterioration of sight is through lack
of
use of the accommodation muscles. While the lens does harden my
sight
deteriorate most when sedentary and focussed onto a screen with a
blank wall behind. Since then I choose to sit where if I look over
monitor I have a distant view.

Err, someone with perfect vision will only choose to have reading
specs
when it becomes impossible to focus close enough without.

Err if you can't focus close enough you haven't got perfect vision.

Err, no older person ever has, bert. But may well have had when
younger.

The worst killer for accommodation is varifocal lenses. The eye
muscles become very lazy.

Why would you get varifocals if you still could accommodate OK?

Oh dear.

You don't understand much about your own eyes, do you?

Well I've lived with them a long time so I Know them pretty well.

Apparently not.

:-)

From a point of technical ignorance, I'm with Bert.
Sat at the desk, I am wearing corrective reading glasses. Glancing through
the window, I can see trees on the horizon 1/2 mile away and all the bits
in between. However, nothing is in sharp focus. The registration on a van
parked 20m away is blurred but just about legible. If I take my glasses
off, the computer screen is blurred but everything else snaps into sharp
focus.

It remains my belief that adopting the bi-focals that Specsavers sold me
20 years ago would have caused endless dust/drizzle/
condensation nuisance during work related activities

I get very little of that and I wear glasses all the
time except when reading printed material or
doing very fine work, I'm short sighted.

The only time I get condensation is when
opening the dishwasher just as its ended
the final dry cycle. I just have to remember
to not have my head immediately over it
when I open the door and even when
I forget, it clears a moment later when
I move my head away.

and might also have led to a deterioration in distance vision.

Not sure if anyone has tested that. Bit hard to do.

Old February 14th 20, 11:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 09:12:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH all of the senile asshole's usual senile ****

....and nothing's left! LOL

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed: