Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a cheap Din Car Head Unit with HiFi Amp

Hi All,

Ive recently purchased a cheap Chinese Head unit (Tuner, USB, Aux, Bluetooth) from the bay of the flea which I was intending to use in my daughters car.

However, Id like to add the above functions to the shed HiFi and this seems like a very cheap way to do it.

The enclosed instructions arent much use, so I thought Id tap the hive mind of uk diy.

The unit has 4 RCA sockets on the back (in addition to the standard Din power and speaker sockets), it claims these are two rear outputs and 2 rear outputs. I suspect its actually 2 front and 2 rear.

It also claims to want 12V power and to use a maximum of 15A.

IF I connect a relatively low output 12V bench supply (1 or 2 A from memory). And dont connect any speakers, but just use 2 of the RCAs to feed the stereo input of a HiFi amp.

1. Is anything likely to go up in smoke?

2. Is it likely to work?

3. Does anyone make a ready made case i coIll put it in and if so, what search term should I enter?

TIA

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2020 16:36, wrote:

yerrs

3. Does anyone make a ready made case i coIll put it in and if so,
what search term should I enter?

No idea

Hey, this *is* DIY!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Indeed it is DIY, but Im short of tuits.

But I have thought, I could get a second hand centre console from some car. Ill have to think which one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 February 2020 17:52:24 UTC, wrote:
But I have thought, I could get a second hand centre console from some
car. Ill have to think which one.

This sort of bracket would do for under-shelf mounting, or possibly even turn it upside down

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/292179563942

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, it really depends on whether you know the pin outs and can block any
dc paths and know if any remote signals need to be terminated in a special
way to make the thing work. Don't car things these days have access codes as
they need to be powered up all the time to not lock themselves out. First I
think use some cables with capacitors in series and see what comes out and
when.
That is what I'd do if there is a shortage of English data.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Ive done a little lateral thinking, and I think I should be able to pick up a scrap desktop PC with functioning PSU for next to nothing.

A little mollification, And I should be able to slot the head unit in the front of it, and the record deck will sit on top 11::^*))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Brian,

It does have some English data, including where to put earth, permanent live and switched live.

Im hoping thats all Ill need apart from RCA out, and that it wont take much to set it up each time the power is turned on (dont have a permanent supply to the shed at present).

Hopefully if it has the option of a PIN, its not mandatory (hopefully they would have included some instructions if it did).

I recently bought a second hand Sony CD Head Unit for the car, and that just worked (aside of the fact it was initially in demo mode Which included LOOK, I CAN FLASH ALL MY LEDS (IN CONTRASTING COLOURS) IN TIME WITH THE MUSIC!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Brian,

I dont think I need to do the stuff with capacitors, but can you expand on where you would have used them?

And what you would hope to gain?

(Not suggesting you are wrong, just seeking to learn).

TIA

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

A standard desktop one will. You'll find details of what pins to bridge to
fire it up etc by Googling.

The lone green one to any black one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 07:07:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

And wont even start without the Power On line grounded.

Oh, ****! And this innocent little thread was Rodent-free, so far! tsk

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:

A standard desktop one will. You'll find details of what pins to bridge
fire it up etc by Googling.

The lone green one to any black one.

Incorrect on the color.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_...iring_diagrams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 07:21:28 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

That should be Power On,.

Oh, ****! Did you HAVE to **** also in THIS thread, you senile cretin?

"Thats because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 07:27:30 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

The lone green one to any black one.

Incorrect on the color.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you abnormal auto-contradicting senile
pest?

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cheers Dave,

Im not bothered about the tuner, its the Bluetooth and USB Im interested in.

The ground loop point is an interesting one.

Hopefully Ill get away with it.

I have in the past used a device (VHS?) Connected to mains via a 2 core mains lead and Its mono audio out connected to some sort of line in by just joining the inners of the RCAs together.

My mate said it would work, and it duly did!

I was really surprised!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peeler wrote:

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 07:21:28 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

That should be Power On,.

Oh, ****! Did you HAVE to **** also in THIS thread, you senile cretin?

He did make a very useful correction that may avoid lsomeone's
confusion, on this occasion. You've got to be fair!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 01:24:31 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Oh, ****! Did you HAVE to **** also in THIS thread, you senile cretin?

He did make a very useful correction that may avoid lsomeone's
confusion, on this occasion. You've got to be fair!

Doesn't matter, oh senile one! He ALWAYS "corrects" people, that
auto-contradicting clinically insane senile cretin!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon lopgel wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

A standard desktop one will. You'll find details of what pins to
bridge to fire it up etc by Googling.

The lone green one to any black one.

Incorrect on the color.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_...iring_diagrams

Err, no ... that confirms that "power on" is green, short it to ground
(black) to turn on.

"power good" is grey, but not necessary to turn it on, merely an
indication that it has turned on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
jon lopgel wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

A standard desktop one will. You'll find details of what pins to
bridge to fire it up etc by Googling.

The lone green one to any black one.

Incorrect on the color.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_...iring_diagrams

Err, no ... that confirms that "power on" is green, short it to ground
(black) to turn on.

I should have said that better, its not the LONE green.

"power good" is grey, but not necessary to turn it on, merely an
indication that it has turned on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon lopgel wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
jon lopgel wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

A standard desktop one will. You'll find details of what pins to
*bridge to fire it up etc by Googling.

The lone green one to any black one.

Incorrect on the color.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_...iring_diagrams

Err, no ... that confirms that "power on" is green, short it to ground
(black) to turn on.

I should have said that better, its not the LONE green.

How many do you see then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 05:10:20 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the senile asshole's latest troll****

05:10??? LOL So, for how long have you been up and trolling, yet again,
senile pest from Oz?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
jon lopgel wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
jon lopgel wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

A standard desktop one will. You'll find details of what pins to
bridge to fire it up etc by Googling.

The lone green one to any black one.

Incorrect on the color.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_...iring_diagrams

Err, no ... that confirms that "power on" is green, short it to ground
(black) to turn on.

I should have said that better, its not the LONE green.

How many do you see then?

There are 3 in that diagram I posted a link to with the same colour as
Power On and they arent even green, they are light blue as note A spells
out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:40:28 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

There are 3 in that diagram I posted a link to with the same colour as
Power On and they arent even green, they are light blue as note A spells
out.

About time someone switched your power OFF, you useless senile 85-year-old
trolling cretin!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jon lopgel" wrote in message

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
jon lopgel wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
jon lopgel wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

A standard desktop one will. You'll find details of what pins to
bridge to fire it up etc by Googling.

The lone green one to any black one.

Incorrect on the color.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_...iring_diagrams

Err, no ... that confirms that "power on" is green, short it to ground
(black) to turn on.

I should have said that better, its not the LONE green.

How many do you see then?

There are 3 in that diagram I posted a link to with the same colour as
Power On and they arent even green, they are light blue as note A spells
out.

Whoops, sorry, my massive brain fart. I missed the fact that I have
that diagram so large that the wire colours were off the rh edge of
the screen. You were right all along on the wire colour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 14:22:20 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

Whoops, sorry, my massive brain fart. I missed the fact

You miss a LOT of things, senile sociopath!!! BG

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A long overdue update.

I tried the head unit at the weekend.

I decided against using the PC chassis as a case in the end, and just put it on a shelf.

I realised I already had a 12V PSU feeding my turntable, so I tapped into that.

Worked first time. Only tried Bluetooth so far, that worked a treat.