DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Over-engineering (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/644354-over-engineering.html)

GB February 6th 20 03:54 PM

Over-engineering

A neighbour ripped out a stud wall and threw out some 2 x 4. We now
have shelf supports that are literally as strong as the house. Plus a
sawhorse that tested my meagre carpentry skills to the limit.

Jim GM4DHJ ... February 6th 20 06:13 PM

Over-engineering

On 06/02/2020 15:54, GB wrote:
A neighbour ripped out a stud wall and threw out some 2 x 4.Â* We now
have shelf supports that are literally as strong as the house. Plus a
sawhorse that tested my meagre carpentry skills to the limit.

people will fling out anything these days ....

ARW February 6th 20 06:49 PM

Over-engineering

On 06/02/2020 15:54, GB wrote:
A neighbour ripped out a stud wall and threw out some 2 x 4.Â* We now
have shelf supports that are literally as strong as the house. Plus a
sawhorse that tested my meagre carpentry skills to the limit.

At the weekend I can get some photos of two steel lintels that support
nothing but the architect demanded that they were installed.

Actually make that just the one lintel as I know how fast these builders
work.

They only started 4 weeks ago but are already 6 weeks behind schedule.

--
Adam

Steve Walker[_5_] February 6th 20 09:25 PM

Over-engineering

On 06/02/2020 18:49, ARW wrote:
On 06/02/2020 15:54, GB wrote:
A neighbour ripped out a stud wall and threw out some 2 x 4.Â* We now
have shelf supports that are literally as strong as the house. Plus a
sawhorse that tested my meagre carpentry skills to the limit.

At the weekend I can get some photos of two steel lintels that support
nothing but the architect demanded that they were installed.

Actually make that just the one lintel as I know how fast these builders
work.

They only started 4 weeks ago but are already 6 weeks behind schedule.

That sounds like when I used to work at a large compressor manufacturer
(by large I mean 100-odd ton reciprocating compressors and gas turbine
driven centrifugal and axial ones). The project plans always showed
issuing a control panel specification eight weeks from receiving the
order - but the sales department only passed the requirements to us in
engineering 6 weeks in!

SteveW