Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why are long drill bits so hard to find?

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 12:22:09 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 11:07:03 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
And as you also say correctly, go into any shed today and outside of
SDS / masonry bits and the *odd* smaller HSS bit, the lengths of bit
available are often very limited / standard.

Bits that are longer than you need are rarely an issue, bits that are
too short are and as you say, not something you can always resolve
easily (just by walking into any shed on a Sunday morning and buying
the length, spec and size of bit you want, even if it's only say 50%
longer than 'std' bits).

Drill shanks (from reputable manufacturers) are not hard.

You are right, my bad. It actually snapped 1/2 way up the fluted
section. What I meant was it wasn't just the tip that chipped or broke
away, the (13mm) bit literally snapped in half!

I have turned
down and soft soldered extensions on some of mine for special jobs.

I have also turned shanks of bigger bits down to fit in a smaller
chuck (like a blacksmiths drill bit) and have a couple of finer bits
that someone else has soldered into a home made holder / extender in
my drill bit drawer.

As you say, I have bent shanks on drills before but they generally
snap around the main fluted area.

If you have the means, they can often be re-sharpened to make use of
the remaining bit as a stubby drill. ;-)

I often use a grinder on the shank of bits to make them slightly triangular. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea for a chuck to try to grip a round shank?!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 02:47:20 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"williamwright" wrote in message
On 06/02/2020 22:21, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Not when I searched for them. I typed long cobalt drill bit into Ebay
and it came up with very few options.

Bad googling technique.

He didn't google, he used the ebay search
and is too stupid to work out how that works.

How can using the words "long", "cobalt", and "drill" not come up with such a thing? What would you have typed?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0fowbeqowdg98l@glass...
wrote:

"williamwright" wrote in message
On 06/02/2020 22:21, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Not when I searched for them. I typed long cobalt drill bit into Ebay
and it came up with very few options.

Bad googling technique.

He didn't google, he used the ebay search
and is too stupid to work out how that works.

How can using the words "long", "cobalt", and "drill" not come up with
such a thing?

When the seller didn't bother to include the word
long and just included the length in mm, stupid.

What would you have typed?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 09:43:30 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' latest troll****

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between the two resident idiots:

Birdbrain: "But imagine how cool it was to own slaves."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, right. Feed them, clothe them, and fix them when
they're broken.
After all, you paid good money for them. Then you've got to keep an eye
on them all the time."

Birdbrain: "Better than having to give them wages on top of that."

Senile Rodent: "Specially when they make more slaves for you
and produce their own food and clothes."

MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 06/02/2020 21:18, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 06 Feb 2020 21:08:28 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 06/02/2020 15:13:38, Commander Kinsey wrote:
For example this 3mm HSS cobalt, 98mm long.* Couldn't find a 4mm that
length at all!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351783054078

Surely plenty folk need to drill a hole through something thick

I can imagine you to be the sort to have already given yourself a
frontal lobotomy.

Grow up.

Ignore him, he is just trolling. The sensible people on the group accept
the medically proven benefits of trepanning. So keep on at it.