Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Water stains

Burst pipe caused water damage to ceiling, been drying out for last 4
days and the ceiling appears to be intact apart from water mark staining.
I have ordered some stain block which I will use before repainting.
Should i just go with that or should I give the ceiling a clean first
possibly with a mild bleach solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 11:18:37 UTC, ss wrote:
Burst pipe caused water damage to ceiling, been drying out for last 4
days and the ceiling appears to be intact apart from water mark staining.
I have ordered some stain block which I will use before repainting.
Should i just go with that or should I give the ceiling a clean first
possibly with a mild bleach solution.

Doesn't much matter, unless it's really caked with dirt. Bleach would add salts, not a plus really. Regular alkyd undercoat is enough to block stains in the majority of cases, use satan blocker for when it doesn't.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Feb 2020 12:30:15 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I have ordered some stain block which I will use before

repainting.
Should i just go with that or should I give the ceiling a clean

first
possibly with a mild bleach solution.

Only need to clean to remove dust or flaking paint (edges will then
need sanding or filling). Stain block will do the job or any oil
based paint, though gloss might make the emulsion a little harder to
apply evenly.

... when it's fully dried out I shall just paint over it with ordinary
emulsion, using as many coats as it takes to hide it.

Which be a lot. Even if you get it covered it come through after
time.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd clean it but be warned, the stain will eventually come back anyway, they
seem to always do that.
I'm sure some chemist might know why this is.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ss" wrote in message
Burst pipe caused water damage to ceiling, been drying out for last 4 days
and the ceiling appears to be intact apart from water mark staining.
I have ordered some stain block which I will use before repainting.
Should i just go with that or should I give the ceiling a clean first
possibly with a mild bleach solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2020 11:18, ss wrote:
Burst pipe caused water damage to ceiling, been drying out for last 4
days and the ceiling appears to be intact apart from water mark staining.
I have ordered some stain block which I will use before repainting.
Should i just go with that or should I give the ceiling a clean first
possibly with a mild bleach solution.

At this time of year you need to leave plaster much longer to fully dry
out before you try to seal it or you will be storing up trouble.
Overpainting with a dense white emulsion will usually cover it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

I'd clean it but be warned, the stain will eventually come back anyway,
they seem to always do that.

I'm sure some chemist might know why this is.

It migrates thru the paint itself.

"ss" wrote in message
Burst pipe caused water damage to ceiling, been drying out for last 4
days and the ceiling appears to be intact apart from water mark staining.
I have ordered some stain block which I will use before repainting.
Should i just go with that or should I give the ceiling a clean first
possibly with a mild bleach solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

No **** Sherlock!

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/02/2020 17:57, Martin Brown wrote:
At this time of year you need to leave plaster much longer to fully dry
out before you try to seal it or you will be storing up trouble.
Overpainting with a dense white emulsion will usually cover it.

It will be about 2 weeks after the flood before I attempt to sort the
ceiling, have had a dehumidifier running for the last 5 days and will
keep it going on a lower setting for a few days more.
Its a shower room so not a big room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 05:58 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for ONE AND A HALF HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 04:58:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the sleepless senile trolling swine's latest troll****

04:58 already? And you STILL can't go to sleep? Admit it, it's because this
here is the ONLY place in the world where you can talk to people without
them being in a position to get away from you as quickly as possible, you
obnoxious sociopathic senile idiot from Oz!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

I'd clean it but be warned, the stain will eventually come back anyway,
they seem to always do that.

I'm sure some chemist might know why this is.

It migrates thru the paint itself.

No **** Sherlock!

He clearly didn't realise that, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:29 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost an HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 08:29:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH Arsetralian asshole's latest troll****

08:28 already??? And STILL not bedtime for you, you miserable lonely
sleepless senile pest? ROTFLOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 18:54:28 UTC, ss wrote:
On 05/02/2020 17:57, Martin Brown wrote:
At this time of year you need to leave plaster much longer to fully dry
out before you try to seal it or you will be storing up trouble.
Overpainting with a dense white emulsion will usually cover it.

It will be about 2 weeks after the flood before I attempt to sort the
ceiling, have had a dehumidifier running for the last 5 days and will
keep it going on a lower setting for a few days more.
Its a shower room so not a big room.

FWIW I'd leave it longer. 8 days might do but I'd not be confident.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A decent stain blocker should do it. At the last house we had a bad water leak below the bathroom which because the water was mixing with half a century of accumulated dust above the PB produced some very dark stains. I went to a decent decorators supplier and got a stain blocker which required a few coats, two if I remember correctly. After two coats of emulsion we never saw the stains again. Previously we applied many coats of emulsion just to find the stains reappear. Unfortunately I cannot remember the make having had a purge of old paint tins a while back but that would my first port of call.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 15:24:33 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2020 12:30:15 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I have ordered some stain block which I will use before

repainting.
Should i just go with that or should I give the ceiling a clean

first
possibly with a mild bleach solution.

Only need to clean to remove dust or flaking paint (edges will then
need sanding or filling). Stain block will do the job or any oil
based paint, though gloss might make the emulsion a little harder to
apply evenly.

... when it's fully dried out I shall just paint over it with ordinary
emulsion, using as many coats as it takes to hide it.

Which be a lot. Even if you get it covered it come through after
time.
--
Cheers
Dave.