DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Connect PIV to lighting electrical circuit? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/644092-connect-piv-lighting-electrical-circuit.html)

Jimk January 31st 20 08:41 AM

Connect PIV to lighting electrical circuit?

Looking to install a PIV (positive input ventilation) unit in the loft.

Spec says max draw of the unit is 16w.

Technically/legally can I connect this into the lighting circuits
accessible in the loft space?

If so would a switched fused spur be in order? Or something more?
(Or less :-) )

TIA

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

[email protected] January 31st 20 09:21 AM

On Friday, 31 January 2020 08:32:50 UTC, JimK wrote:
Looking to install a PIV (positive input ventilation) unit in the loft.

Spec says max draw of the unit is 16w.

Technically/legally can I connect this into the lighting circuits
accessible in the loft space?

If so would a switched fused spur be in order? Or something more?
(Or less :-) )

Yes, and optional if the mfr's instructions want a 3 amp fuse. Personally I would FCU it.

Owain

John Rumm January 31st 20 11:16 AM

On 31/01/2020 08:32, Jimk wrote:
Looking to install a PIV (positive input ventilation) unit in the loft.

Spec says max draw of the unit is 16w.

Technically/legally can I connect this into the lighting circuits
accessible in the loft space?

Yes

If so would a switched fused spur be in order? Or something more?
(Or less :-) )

If the makers instructions say it needs to be fused below 6A (or
whatever the rating of your lighting circuit MCB), then you would need
to connect via a FCU with appropriate fuse... (in reality a switched FCU
would be a better option anyway since it gives a nice place to break
into the circuit and terminate the connections without needing to do it
at a ceiling rose, which probably has enough wires already).

--
Cheers,

John.