Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Name that connector

Hi All,

I am wanting to connect some thickish flex (think 1.5mm 3 core flex with all 3 cores stripped back an inch and twisted together) to my cars battery.

Well, connect them better anyway.

I am thinking of a terminal thats like a washer at one end (that I can connect to the bolts On the existing battery terminals), and perhaps chock block type connectors at the other end that I can attach the flex to.

Do such connectors exist (and if so, what term should I google?).

Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

TIA

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi All,

I am wanting to connect some thickish flex (think 1.5mm 3 core flex with
all 3 cores stripped back an inch and twisted together) to my cars battery.

Well, connect them better anyway.

I am thinking of a terminal thats like a washer at one end (that I can
connect to the bolts On the existing battery terminals), and perhaps
chock block type connectors at the other end that I can attach the flex to.

Do such connectors exist (and if so, what term should I google?).

Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

TIA

Chris

Maybe something like thing? Hugely overpriced though as its for car audio
nuts. Cant see any dimensions. Might be worth enquiring if you really
want it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m... 142576050692

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi All,

I am wanting to connect some thickish flex (think 1.5mm 3 core flex with
all 3 cores stripped back an inch and twisted together) to my cars
battery.

Well, connect them better anyway.

I am thinking of a terminal that's like a washer at one end (that I can
connect to the bolts On the existing battery terminals), and perhaps chock
block type connectors at the other end that I can attach the flex to.

Do such connectors exist (and if so, what term should I google?).

Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

TIA

Chris

There is a standard insulated crimp connector, available in Halfords or
other car accessory shops, that will do this. The right crimp size is a
blue one; but if the largest hole available (there is a choice) in the
washer part is too small you can use a yellow one and solder rather than
crimp it. Perhaps take the insulation off and drill a hole in the side
to pass the flex free ends through if you want mechanically sound
soldering.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I Might go for your suggestion Chris Green, otherwise, I had just thought I might make the end of the existing flex into a ring connector by forming it by hand, then running it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Hi All,

I am wanting to connect some thickish flex (think 1.5mm 3 core flex with
all 3 cores stripped back an inch and twisted together) to my cars
battery.

Well, connect them better anyway.

I am thinking of a terminal that‘s like a washer at one end (that I can
connect to the bolts On the existing battery terminals), and perhaps
chock block type connectors at the other end that I can attach the flex
to.

Do such connectors exist (and if so, what term should I google?).

Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Buy the correct car cable and terminals from the likes of Vehicle Wiring
Products?

--
*Nostalgia isn't what is used to be.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2020 11:35, Chris Green wrote:

One of the best suppliers for this sort of thing (high current fuses,
etc.) is beal.org.uk, much more reasonable prices than Halfords et al.

That's a site worth bookmarking. Wide range of automotive and other stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/01/2020 12:03, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Are car crimps different to the electrical crimps I use?

It's just that your description seems wrong. ie in the case of insulated
crimps the colours only relate to the size of the cable not to the size
of the ring.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yep, car crimps are designed to work with stranded cable.

The ones you use arent.

It's just that your description seems wrong. ie in the case of insulated
crimps the colours only relate to the size of the cable not to the size of
the ring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

What I am saying is the biggest sized ring commonly available with a
blue crimp may not be big enough for the application. I agree that in
principle the two are unrelated.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 20:00:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yep, car crimps are designed to work with stranded cable.

The ones you use arent.

Hey, senile Rodent, are you finished with your quarrelling about different
margarines in the other thread? LOL

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

Fair enough fella:-)

There is nothing more to say.

Cheers

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You (ARW) are correct, the insulated crimp colours indicate the cable
sizes they weill fit. You can get a wide variety of ring sizes (i.e.
the size of bolt or stud they will go on) for each of the colours,
though you may not see many sizes offered in such as Halfords. I have
(for example) blue crimps with 10mm diameter ring.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

As I noted in my previous comment you can get up to, at least, 10mm
rings with red and blue crimps, just go to a decent supplier like Beal.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That's useful to know, my experience of them is limited to car shops.

--

Roger Hayter