Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default swapping electric hotplate hob for induction

Can't see an easy way to remove this hotplate and replace it with an
induction hob.
Can anyone please give me advice on taking out the hob with minimal
damage to surroundings?

https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc0Zdqf/cooker.jpg
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 11:28:36 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Can't see an easy way to remove this hotplate and replace it with an
induction hob.
Can anyone please give me advice on taking out the hob with minimal
damage to surroundings?
https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc0Zdqf/cooker.jpg

Remove the oven first - usually if you open the door you will see screws in the edge holding it to the cabinet sides.

The clamps holding the hob to the worktop can then be loosened and swivelled from the underside.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 03:34:47 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 11:28:36 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Can't see an easy way to remove this hotplate and replace it with an
induction hob.
Can anyone please give me advice on taking out the hob with minimal
damage to surroundings?
https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc0Zdqf/cooker.jpg

Remove the oven first - usually if you open the door you will see screws in the edge holding it to the cabinet sides.

The clamps holding the hob to the worktop can then be loosened and swivelled from the underside.

Owain

Thanks Owain, I didn't want to start pulling too much apart if there
was an easier way.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 11:38:20 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Thanks Owain, I didn't want to start pulling too much apart if there
was an easier way.

That *is* the easy way.

It's how it went in :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 12:11:45 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

And he even read the manuals !.

What sort of 'tradesman' does that ?. :-)

Sure giveaway that he's an actor?

https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2016/03/stockphotowoman-500.jpg

(Photo of a model holding a self-evidently cold soldering iron.)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 11:28:36 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Can't see an easy way to remove this hotplate and replace it with an
induction hob.
Can anyone please give me advice on taking out the hob with minimal
damage to surroundings?
https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc0Zdqf/cooker.jpg

Remove the oven first - usually if you open the door you will see screws in the edge holding it to the cabinet sides.

The clamps holding the hob to the worktop can then be loosened and swivelled from the underside.

Owain

Thanks Owain, I didn't want to start pulling too much apart if there
was an easier way.

Once you have it out (or maybe even before) you might want to check that
the cable from the consumer unit is big enough for the induction hob
that you intend to install. Induction can take a whole lot more current
than a standard hob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2020 11:28, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Can't see an easy way to remove this hotplate and replace it with an
induction hob.
Can anyone please give me advice on taking out the hob with minimal
damage to surroundings?

https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc0Zdqf/cooker.jpg

Besides the 'mechanical' side, check the electrical side. Our induction
hob required a dedicated spur (30A from memory) which the company who
did the kitchen took care of. (We also needed another one for a 2nd
oven, the existing spur being used for the 1st oven.)

Induction hobs are great by the way. When we were planning the kitchen
change, I wanted a gas hob but Senior Management wanted Induction. I'm
pleased I relented ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 13:00:09 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

On 23/01/2020 11:28, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Can't see an easy way to remove this hotplate and replace it with an
induction hob.
Can anyone please give me advice on taking out the hob with minimal
damage to surroundings?

https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc0Zdqf/cooker.jpg

Besides the 'mechanical' side, check the electrical side. Our induction
hob required a dedicated spur (30A from memory) which the company who
did the kitchen took care of. (We also needed another one for a 2nd
oven, the existing spur being used for the 1st oven.)

Induction hobs are great by the way. When we were planning the kitchen
change, I wanted a gas hob but Senior Management wanted Induction. I'm
pleased I relented ;-)

Big help thanks.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Great tip! Thanks.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Our Bosch induction hob just drops into place just its own weight and a number of clips gripping the edges of the cutout. The other thing that surprised me is you are not use any sealant.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2020 13:44, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Our Bosch induction hob just drops into place just its own weight and a number of clips gripping the edges of the cutout. The other thing that surprised me is you are not use any sealant.

Richard

I'm pretty sure our AEG hob came with an integral sealant strip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:

https://youtu.be/Qif9psHqymY suggests that some Eletrolux hobs are just dropped in place.

Do any UK hobs daisy-chain off the oven like that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

Induction can take a whole lot more current
than a standard hob.

They seem to vary from 13A plug-in, to 16A hard-wired to 32A hard-wired,
I've heard lots of people raving about how good induction hobs are, has
anyone got any stories about the lower powered ones being ... um ...
underpowered?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Andrew May wrote:

Induction can take a whole lot more current than a standard hob.

They seem to vary from 13A plug-in, to 16A hard-wired to 32A hard-wired,
I've heard lots of people raving about how good induction hobs are, has
anyone got any stories about the lower powered ones being ... um ...
underpowered?

Our new house (new to us) has an Aga. It also has a fitted oven, but no hob,
for use in a hot summer when you might not want the Aga on.

So we bought a portable one-ring induction hob from IKEA. It's rated at 2
kW. It heats a pan of water very quickly: a lot faster than a standard
kettle for the same amount of water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Our Neff came set up limited to 13A. But there is a magic sequence of
button presses to crank the limit up to 20A with a hard-wired circuit.
It has a "b" setting for any ring that will shove all 20A through that
ring. Your pan will boil toot sweet.

I've always been a gas-hob user, and rarely use more than one ring at a
time, but that may have to change to electric ... upcoming decision on
whether to go with bulk LPG tank for boiler which would also allow gas
hob, or go full electric with heatpump and induction hob, I suppose
bottled gas for hob-only would be do-able.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 15:16:24 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew May wrote:

Induction can take a whole lot more current
than a standard hob.

They seem to vary from 13A plug-in, to 16A hard-wired to 32A hard-wired,
I've heard lots of people raving about how good induction hobs are, has
anyone got any stories about the lower powered ones being ... um ...
underpowered?

I'd have to check, but I think that some induction hobs can be wired to be able to run at full whack OR at a reduced current.

If wired for a lower current, the individual plates are managed to ensure the total draw is within that limit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2020 15:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

Our Neff came set up limited to 13A. But there is a magic sequence of
button presses to crank the limit up to 20A with a hard-wired circuit.
It has a "b" setting for any ring that will shove all 20A through that
ring. Your pan will boil toot sweet.

I've always been a gas-hob user, and rarely use more than one ring at a
time, but that may have to change to electric ... upcoming decision on
whether to go with bulk LPG tank for boiler which would also allow gas
hob, or go full electric with heatpump and induction hob, I suppose
bottled gas for hob-only would be do-able.

I always preferred gas hobs until I had to switch to induction; I would
not go back to gas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2020 11:28, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Can't see an easy way to remove this hotplate and replace it with an
induction hob.
Can anyone please give me advice on taking out the hob with minimal
damage to surroundings?

https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc0Zdqf/cooker.jpg

You may just be able to prise the existing hob out by sliding a blade
under the edges. I don;t think the Neff hob I removed was held in. The
Bosh induction hob I bought as a replacement has a configuration option
to set the maximum current itm could draw. I was very pleased that it
just fitted in the same size hold in the worktop.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 15:51:59 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

Our Neff came set up limited to 13A. But there is a magic sequence of
button presses to crank the limit up to 20A with a hard-wired circuit.
It has a "b" setting for any ring that will shove all 20A through that
ring. Your pan will boil toot sweet.

I've always been a gas-hob user, and rarely use more than one ring at a
time, but that may have to change to electric ... upcoming decision on
whether to go with bulk LPG tank for boiler which would also allow gas
hob, or go full electric with heatpump and induction hob, I suppose
bottled gas for hob-only would be do-able.

Unless you have a good well sited cooker hood, the fumes from the gas hob are slowly killing you.(Nox)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2020 16:24, Michael Chare wrote:
On 23/01/2020 11:28, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Can't see an easy way to remove this hotplate and replace it with an
induction hob.
Can anyone please give me advice on taking out the hob with minimal
damage to surroundings?

https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc0Zdqf/cooker.jpg

You may just be able to prise the existing hob out by sliding a blade
under the edges.Â* I don;t think the Neff hob I removed was held in.Â* The
Bosh induction hob I bought as a replacement has a configuration option
to set the maximum current itm could draw. I was very pleased that it
just fitted in the same size hold in the worktop.

No-one seems to have mentioned the fact that the size of cut-out
required varies from hob to hob.

If the existing cut-out is too small you can enlarge it. But if it's too
big - or in the wrong place relative to where the hob needs to go - you
may have a problem.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Andrew May wrote:

Induction can take a whole lot more current
than a standard hob.

They seem to vary from 13A plug-in, to 16A hard-wired to 32A hard-wired,
I've heard lots of people raving about how good induction hobs are, has
anyone got any stories about the lower powered ones being ... um ...
underpowered?

AFAIK they throttle the total power back when you are using
multiple "burners". It's a rare occurrence here to use more than
two simultaneously, not that my hob has that limitation.

--
__
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Andrew May wrote:

Induction can take a whole lot more current than a standard hob.

They seem to vary from 13A plug-in, to 16A hard-wired to 32A hard-wired,
I've heard lots of people raving about how good induction hobs are, has
anyone got any stories about the lower powered ones being ... um ...
underpowered?

Really depends on how you use it. Few choose
to have all the elements on full anymore. Its much
more about using the appropriate element now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/01/2020 15:07, Andy Burns wrote:
Thomas Prufer wrote:

https://youtu.be/Qif9psHqymYÂ* suggests that some Eletrolux hobs
are just dropped in place.

Do any UK hobs daisy-chain off the oven like that?

I have seen it done. And some of the posh hobs automatically turn on the
extractor hoods when you turn them on.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/01/2020 13:00, Brian Reay wrote:
On 23/01/2020 11:28, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Can't see an easy way to remove this hotplate and replace it with an
induction hob.
Can anyone please give me advice on taking out the hob with minimal
damage to surroundings?

https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc0Zdqf/cooker.jpg

Besides the 'mechanical' side, check the electrical side. Our induction
hob required a dedicated spur (30A from memory) which the company who
did the kitchen took care of. (We also needed another one for a 2nd
oven, the existing spur being used for the 1st oven.)

Induction hobs are great by the way. When we were planning the kitchen
change, I wanted a gas hob but Senior Management wanted Induction. I'm
pleased I relented ;-)

Who does the cooking?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:28:32 +0000, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

Can't see an easy way to remove this hotplate and replace it with an
induction hob.
Can anyone please give me advice on taking out the hob with minimal
damage to surroundings?

https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc0Zdqf/cooker.jpg

RTFM and make sure you can meet the clearance and ventilation
requirements of your hob. Mine is a cheap "Viesta" brand and is
installed above a cutlery drawer. It requires a 3mm gap between the
bottom of the counter and the top of the drawer front, that was easy
because the fronts have screwdriver adjusters for height, however the
chipboard carcase partially baffles the airflow and the kitchen fitter
did not feel it was important enough to cut away. I will have to take
my multitool to it myself because as I predicted the hob occasionally
goes into its induction coil overheat shutdown error mode which clears
if I open the door slightly.

Here's a couple of photos that may illustrate what I mean.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4B9HrUWGuCgjCUhT6

It appears that some induction hobs don't use this front exhaust
scheme, and their intake and exhaust requirements are met from below.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:

https://youtu.be/Qif9psHqymY suggests that some Eletrolux hobs
are just dropped in place.

Do any UK hobs daisy-chain off the oven like that?

I have seen it done. And some of the posh hobs automatically turn on the
extractor hoods when you turn them on.

Some 7 or 8 years ago, I was informed, by someone I trusted, that in
commercial premises you had to have the extractor fan running before you
could get a supply to a gas cooker. Easily dome with a solenoid in the gas
supply.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 05:47:55 +1100, "Ray" wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Andrew May wrote:

Induction can take a whole lot more current than a standard hob.

They seem to vary from 13A plug-in, to 16A hard-wired to 32A hard-wired,
I've heard lots of people raving about how good induction hobs are, has
anyone got any stories about the lower powered ones being ... um ...
underpowered?

Really depends on how you use it. Few choose
to have all the elements on full anymore. Its much
more about using the appropriate element now.

On mine the controls go from 1 to 9. Between 5&9 the continuous power
is changed, between 1&4 the duty-cycle is changed.

If, for example, you have two burners on "2" which is about 50% duty
cycle, I would have expected them to alternate to help with diversity,
but no, they come on and off together.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Andrew May wrote:

Induction can take a whole lot more current than a standard hob.

They seem to vary from 13A plug-in, to 16A hard-wired to 32A hard-wired,
I've heard lots of people raving about how good induction hobs are, has
anyone got any stories about the lower powered ones being ... um ...
underpowered?

Really depends on how you use it. Few choose
to have all the elements on full anymore. Its much
more about using the appropriate element now.

On mine the controls go from 1 to 9. Between 5&9 the continuous power
is changed, between 1&4 the duty-cycle is changed.

If, for example, you have two burners on "2" which is about 50% duty
cycle, I would have expected them to alternate to help with diversity,
but no, they come on and off together.

That's just bad design, what brand ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 07:52:01 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous

That's just bad design, what brand ?

Oh, no! The resident senile trolling asshole from Oz is trying to start
another "discussion"! LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2020 15:16, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew May wrote:

Induction can take a whole lot more current than a standard hob.

They seem to vary from 13A plug-in, to 16A hard-wired to 32A hard-wired,
I've heard lots of people raving about how good induction hobs are, has
anyone got any stories about the lower powered ones being ... um ...
underpowered?

I haven't tried one, but when I was looking at induction hobs recently,
some were smart enough that they used reduced power if all the "rings"
were energised at the same time, but operated at full power if only a
couple were.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for yet more detailed and important considerations.
If I hadn't started this thread I would still be thinking that
choosing and fitting an induction hob was a fairly simple matter.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/01/2020 20:09, charles wrote:
Thomas Prufer wrote:

https://youtu.be/Qif9psHqymY suggests that some Eletrolux hobs
are just dropped in place.
Do any UK hobs daisy-chain off the oven like that?

I have seen it done. And some of the posh hobs automatically turn on the
extractor hoods when you turn them on.

Some 7 or 8 years ago, I was informed, by someone I trusted, that in
commercial premises you had to have the extractor fan running before you
could get a supply to a gas cooker. Easily dome with a solenoid in the gas
supply.

The person you trust is correct.

There is however more to it than just a switch to turn on the fan and
operate the solenoid in most cases.

There are usually two fans in such properties an intake and an out-take
and they are often variable speed fans.

Normally a fan control unit monitors the fans and shuts the gas off if
either fail. The unit uses a couple of potentiometers that you have to
set to to determine the detection range when the fans are on the slowest
setting.

The ones I have worked on also have an emergency "run for 30 minutes
even if a fan has failed" button to press if you take the front cover
off. That is supposed to let you finish what you are cooking before I
arrive and bypass the con

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 15:16:20 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

They seem to vary from 13A plug-in, to 16A hard-wired to 32A hard-wired,
I've heard lots of people raving about how good induction hobs are, has
anyone got any stories about the lower powered ones being ... um ...
underpowered?

I have the very cheapest 2kW single induction plate thing, countertop plasticcy
thing. It was just over 20‚¬. The fan is noisy, the temperature setting has 20°C
increments which is "too coarse" in the lowest range. And the 60°C and 80°C
settings will boil water if the pan is small; fine if large enough but still
considerable deviation. The hot spot is smaller than on a large electric plate.
The temperature, time and wattage can be set independently, if clumsily. It is
easy to clean and light (to the point of flimsyness). As there is no hot air as
in burning gas, spatter does not get spread around as much.

For all the pros and cons: underpowered? naah, not compared to the gas hob.

All in all, a great buy, well worth its money. Next time around, I'd get the
second-cheapest, not the cheapest...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 07:52:01 +1100, "Ray" wrote:

.. .

https://efulfillment-online.com/en/p...b-ceramic-hob/