DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shower caddy follow up (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/643782-shower-caddy-follow-up.html)

Tim Lamb[_2_] January 22nd 20 01:04 PM

Shower caddy follow up

Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good
quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)
--
Tim Lamb

newshound January 22nd 20 02:07 PM

Shower caddy follow up

On 22/01/2020 13:04, Tim Lamb wrote:
Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good
quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)

I'd say non magnetic means not chrome, rather borderline stainless. It's
not going to be a chrome plated cuprous alloy.

Andy Burns[_13_] January 22nd 20 02:24 PM

Shower caddy follow up

newshound wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:

Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good
quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)

I'd say non magnetic means not chrome, rather borderline stainless. It's
not going to be a chrome plated cuprous alloy.

Actually, some of the Victorian Plumbing ones do claim to be chrome
plated brass.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) January 22nd 20 03:24 PM

Shower caddy follow up

Some Kind of alloy maybe?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Roger Hayter[_2_] January 22nd 20 03:31 PM

Shower caddy follow up

Tim Lamb wrote:

Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good
quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)

Having acquired a Chinese stainless steel gate fitting, I learnt from
this very group that some stainless steel is prone to surface rust when
damp, despite its name.

--

Roger Hayter

newshound January 22nd 20 03:35 PM

Shower caddy follow up

On 22/01/2020 14:24, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:

Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good
quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)

I'd say non magnetic means not chrome, rather borderline stainless.
It's not going to be a chrome plated cuprous alloy.

Actually, some of the Victorian Plumbing ones do claim to be chrome
plated brass.

Yes, standard in the old days. This chinese cheapie won't be, though.

newshound January 22nd 20 03:36 PM

Shower caddy follow up

On 22/01/2020 15:31, Roger Hayter wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good
quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)

Having acquired a Chinese stainless steel gate fitting, I learnt from
this very group that some stainless steel is prone to surface rust when
damp, despite its name.

Cheap cutlery is often marginal in chrome content, you can get rust
spots that can just about be cleaned off with scotchbrite or similar.

Chris J Dixon January 22nd 20 03:55 PM

Shower caddy follow up

Roger Hayter wrote:

Having acquired a Chinese stainless steel gate fitting, I learnt from
this very group that some stainless steel is prone to surface rust when
damp, despite its name.

I think the usual response is that it doesn't claim to be
stain-free. ;-)

Don't leave a Brillo pad on a damp SS sink.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

PeterC January 22nd 20 05:29 PM

Shower caddy follow up

Tim Lamb wrote:

Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good
quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)

Having acquired a Chinese stainless steel gate fitting, I learnt from
this very group that some stainless steel is prone to surface rust when
damp, despite its name.

Cheap cutlery is often marginal in chrome content, you can get rust
spots that can just about be cleaned off with scotchbrite or similar.

Cutlery tends to be 18% chromium and is magnetic (para- only?); 18 10 isn't
magnetic and shouldn't rust.
I don't know what A2 st. st. is, but it withstands 10 years+ of salt.

Rolls Royce wheel trim was 22% chromium and hard chrome plated and polished
- that didn't rust in 72 hr. salt spray but the 18% did.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Tim Lamb[_2_] January 22nd 20 07:09 PM

Shower caddy follow up

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good
quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)

Having acquired a Chinese stainless steel gate fitting, I learnt from
this very group that some stainless steel is prone to surface rust when
damp, despite its name.

Yes. We have some Japanese stainless steel cutlery which can pick up
spots of rust in the dishwasher. Interestingly, while I was testing the
caddy, I discovered that the knife blades are magnetic but nothing else.

--
Tim Lamb

newshound January 23rd 20 05:28 PM

Shower caddy follow up

Tim Lamb wrote:

Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good
quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)

Having acquired a Chinese stainless steel gate fitting, I learnt from
this very group that some stainless steel is prone to surface rust when
damp, despite its name.

Cheap cutlery is often marginal in chrome content, you can get rust
spots that can just about be cleaned off with scotchbrite or similar.

Cutlery tends to be 18% chromium and is magnetic (para- only?)

A bit of a simplification. 18Cr 8Ni is austenitic, and non magnetic.
Ferritic stainless steels are 13 to 18% Cr and are magnetic.

I'd bet that the (non-magnetic) caddy is austenitic stainless. It might
suffer rust spotting or staining in some circumstances (like the steel
wool case mentioned elsewhere)

; 18 10 isn't
magnetic and shouldn't rust.
I don't know what A2 st. st. is, but it withstands 10 years+ of salt.

ICBA to look it up properly. "A2" tends to be the base designation for
stainless steel screws and fasteners, I think it is normally austenitic.

"A4" is sometimes called marine grade stainless, that will definitely
withstand salt, it has a higher content of alloying elements and will
definitely be austenitic.

Rolls Royce wheel trim was 22% chromium and hard chrome plated and polished
- that didn't rust in 72 hr. salt spray but the 18% did.

That's what I would call a Rolls Royce solution.

Tim Lamb[_2_] January 23rd 20 06:12 PM

Shower caddy follow up

In message , PeterC
writes

Tim Lamb wrote:

Konhard CS002 (Amazon)

Umm.. claimed to be brushed stainless steel. Looks more like good
quality chrome to me.

Non magnetic so not mild steel. I'll report back in a few years:-)

Having acquired a Chinese stainless steel gate fitting, I learnt from
this very group that some stainless steel is prone to surface rust when
damp, despite its name.

Cheap cutlery is often marginal in chrome content, you can get rust
spots that can just about be cleaned off with scotchbrite or similar.

Cutlery tends to be 18% chromium and is magnetic (para- only?); 18 10 isn't
magnetic and shouldn't rust.
I don't know what A2 st. st. is, but it withstands 10 years+ of salt.

Rolls Royce wheel trim was 22% chromium and hard chrome plated and polished
- that didn't rust in 72 hr. salt spray but the 18% did.

Oh well! If we are all still here in 3 or so years I'll report back:-)

--
Tim Lamb