DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Soldering a thermal fuse? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/643710-soldering-thermal-fuse.html)

[email protected] January 19th 20 03:33 PM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

Hi All,

Connector heater packed up after falling over whilst on.

After much head scratching I found an O/C thermal fuse.

Ive got a replacement (157 degree), Im planning mechanical fixing with some machine screws and nuts, but was wondering, at that rated temp, would it be possible to solder it? Or would that = another O/C fuse?

TIA

Chris

Brian Reay[_6_] January 19th 20 03:59 PM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

On 19/01/2020 15:33, wrote:
Hi All,

Connector heater packed up after falling over whilst on.

After much head scratching I found an O/C thermal fuse.

Ive got a replacement (157 degree), Im planning mechanical fixing with some machine screws and nuts, but was wondering, at that rated temp, would it be possible to solder it? Or would that = another O/C fuse?

TIA

Chris

Assuming you have basic soldering skills, you should be OK.

If you are concerned, you could use the 'heat shunt' trick which was
commonly used in the early days of transistors etc. (Early transistors
were more prone to damage while being soldered than modern ones.)

All you need for this is a pair of thin-nose pliers. Just use them to
hold the lead between the solder joint and the main body of the
component while soldering and until the joint cools.

alan_m January 19th 20 06:48 PM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

On 19/01/2020 15:33, wrote:
Hi All,

Connector heater packed up after falling over whilst on.

After much head scratching I found an O/C thermal fuse.

Ive got a replacement (157 degree), Im planning mechanical fixing with some machine screws and nuts, but was wondering, at that rated temp, would it be possible to solder it? Or would that = another O/C fuse?

TIA

Chris

I've soldered them on car resistor packs.

When cutting out the old fuse leave 0.25 to 0.5 of the wire. This allows
a mexchanical joint to be made by bending the wire and crimping with a
pair of pliers.
To solder you need a large (high wattage, 50W) and solder quickly

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) January 19th 20 08:38 PM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

And if you use the heat sinc idea you can also make the pliers stay on with
elastic bands around the handles. Saves growing another arm and hand.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

newshound January 19th 20 08:47 PM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

And if you use the heat sinc idea you can also make the pliers stay on with
elastic bands around the handles. Saves growing another arm and hand.
Brian

Gosh that takes me back. Havn't done that for decades. (Not that I do
much electronics any more).

Rod Speed January 19th 20 10:22 PM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

newshound wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

And if you use the heat sinc idea you can also make the pliers stay on
with
elastic bands around the handles. Saves growing another arm and hand.

Gosh that takes me back. Havn't done that for decades.

I use surgical clamps, amazingly cheap now.

I use surgical scissors too, because they are
also amazingly cheap and excellent scissors.

(Not that I do much electronics any more).

Bob Eager[_7_] January 19th 20 10:54 PM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 15:59:09 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

Assuming you have basic soldering skills, you should be OK.

If you are concerned, you could use the 'heat shunt' trick which was
commonly used in the early days of transistors etc. (Early transistors
were more prone to damage while being soldered than modern ones.)

I still have an actual (normally closed jaws) heat shunt in my toolbox!

Peeler[_4_] January 19th 20 11:06 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 09:22 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for SEVEN HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 09:22:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

09:22? LMAO So you've up and trolling ALL NIGHT LONG, yet again, you
despicable, abnormal, trolling senile pest!

cretin from Oz:

[email protected] January 21st 20 10:52 AM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

Thanks everyone (well, almost everyone!) for your replies.

The fuses have turned up, as have the 2mm machine screws, but no sign of the nuts. So I might give the heat shunt a try.

[email protected] January 21st 20 08:36 PM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

So, I was ready to get the sodding iron and pliers out, went to the froiler room to get the thermal fuses and thought €œIll just check the packet the machine screws came in in case the nuts are also in there.......

Yup! All screwed up, tested and working!

About 10 minutes after reading your replies earlier, I thought, I remember dad* telling me about holding stuff with pliers to keep the heat away from the components. Just the other day when I was about 8.

*His soldering iron was a six inch piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe hammered flat at the end. With an old file shoved in the other end for a handle. He used to heat it on a gas ring.

whisky-dave[_2_] January 22nd 20 12:16 PM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

On Tuesday, 21 January 2020 20:36:42 UTC, wrote:
So, I was ready to get the sodding iron and pliers out, went to the froiler room to get the thermal fuses and thought €œIll just check the packet the machine screws came in in case the nuts are also in there.......

Yup! All screwed up, tested and working!

About 10 minutes after reading your replies earlier, I thought, I remember dad* telling me about holding stuff with pliers to keep the heat away from the components. Just the other day when I was about 8.

*His soldering iron was a six inch piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe hammered flat at the end. With an old file shoved in the other end for a handle. He used to heat it on a gas ring.

In those days you could buy a house for the amount it cost me to buy a round of drinks in london (slight exaggeration)

Dave Plowman (News) January 22nd 20 01:55 PM

Soldering a thermal fuse?

In article ,
wrote:
Hi All,

Connector heater packed up after falling over whilst on.

After much head scratching I found an O/C thermal fuse.

I‘ve got a replacement (157 degree), I‘m planning mechanical fixing with
some machine screws and nuts, but was wondering, at that rated temp,
would it be possible to solder it? Or would that = another O/C fuse?

They're generally wire ended? Use a heatsink between wire and fuse before
soldering. Like you once did with transistors. ;-)

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.