DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hydrogen engines (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/643625-hydrogen-engines.html)

harry January 16th 20 03:00 PM

Hydrogen engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) January 16th 20 05:13 PM

Hydrogen engines

Nice short link then.
I thought fuel cells were the way to go, crack water using solar, then let
the oxygen free, use the hydrogen for the cell and when it combines with the
oxygen you get water plus some excess heat and electricity.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Andy Burns[_13_] January 16th 20 05:33 PM

Hydrogen engines

Brian Gaff wrote:

I thought fuel cells were the way to go, crack water using solar, then let
the oxygen free, use the hydrogen for the cell

Most industrial-scale hydrogen production seems to be steam reforming of
natural gas, i.e. more or less methane, split the four hydrogens from
the carbon, of course the carbon gets oxidised, producing carbon
monoxide or dioxide ...

Jimk January 16th 20 06:21 PM

Hydrogen engines

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I thought fuel cells were the way to go, crack water using solar, then let
the oxygen free, use the hydrogen for the cell

Most industrial-scale hydrogen production seems to be steam reforming of
natural gas, i.e. more or less methane, split the four hydrogens from
the carbon, of course the carbon gets oxidised, producing carbon
monoxide or dioxide ...

Hmm - does "Greta thunderbox" inc. know this?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Jimk January 16th 20 06:21 PM

Hydrogen engines

Jimk Wrote in message:
Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I thought fuel cells were the way to go, crack water using solar, then let
the oxygen free, use the hydrogen for the cell

Most industrial-scale hydrogen production seems to be steam reforming of
natural gas, i.e. more or less methane, split the four hydrogens from
the carbon, of course the carbon gets oxidised, producing carbon
monoxide or dioxide ...

Hmm - does "Greta thunderbox" inc. know this?

Oops X3
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Rod Speed January 16th 20 06:49 PM

Hydrogen engines

"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I thought fuel cells were the way to go, crack water using solar, then
let
the oxygen free, use the hydrogen for the cell

Most industrial-scale hydrogen production seems to be steam reforming of
natural gas, i.e. more or less methane, split the four hydrogens from
the carbon, of course the carbon gets oxidised, producing carbon
monoxide or dioxide ...

Hmm - does "Greta thunderbox" inc. know this?

We heard you the first time.

Andy Burns[_13_] January 16th 20 07:03 PM

Hydrogen engines

Jethro_uk wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Most industrial-scale hydrogen production seems to be steam reforming of
natural gas, i.e. more or less methane, split the four hydrogens from
the carbon

By that method, the production of 1 ton of hydrogen generates 9-12 tons
of carbon dioxide

Whatever happened to hydrolysis ?

Twice as expensive?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water#Efficiency

newshound January 16th 20 07:27 PM

Hydrogen engines

On 16/01/2020 18:03, Andy Burns wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Most industrial-scale hydrogen production seems to be steam
reforming of
natural gas, i.e. more or less methane, split the four hydrogens from
the carbon

By that method, the production of 1 ton of hydrogen generates 9-12 tons
of carbon dioxide

Whatever happened to hydrolysis ?

Twice as expensive?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water#Efficiency

Yes, if you don't count the externality.

I've been wondering for 20 years or more what is so difficult about a
real carbon tax. (Ok, there already is one on road fuel). It even seems
like something that you might be able to get international agreement on,
instead of all this pussyfooting around about targets.

Double or triple the cost of coal, oil, and gas and all of a sudden
nuclear and renewables start to make real sense. And you get a strong
incentive for electric commercial as well as private vehicles.

Andy Burns[_13_] January 16th 20 07:35 PM

Hydrogen engines

newshound wrote:

Double or triple the cost of coal, oil, and gas and all of a sudden
nuclear and renewables start to make real sense.

I think that would be too much of a shock to the system, put it on a
ramp to double or triple over several decades, maybe workable.

Andy Burns[_13_] January 16th 20 07:41 PM

Hydrogen engines

newshound wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Twice as expensive?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water#Efficiency

Yes, if you don't count the externality.

For once the guardian doesn't miss the mark

"At the moment, hydrogen is most commonly produced from natural gas. In
this situation, a typical fuel cell car generates 70€“80g CO2 for each
kilometre driven €“ similar to a modern gasoline hybrid or to a battery
electric vehicle charged with today's UK grid electricity. These
emissions can be reduced towards zero if the hydrogen is produced using
low-carbon electricity sources such as renewables, nuclear or CCS to
electrolyse water. The downside is that in this situation only around
half as much electricity comes out of the fuel cell as was put in to
produce the hydrogen in the first place."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/oct/11/hydrogen-economy-climate-change

Rod Speed January 16th 20 08:16 PM

Hydrogen engines

o.uk...
Jethro_uk wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Most industrial-scale hydrogen production seems to be steam reforming
of
natural gas, i.e. more or less methane, split the four hydrogens from
the carbon

By that method, the production of 1 ton of hydrogen generates 9-12 tons
of carbon dioxide

Whatever happened to hydrolysis ?

Twice as expensive?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water#Efficiency

Yes, if you don't count the externality.

I've been wondering for 20 years or more what is so difficult about a real
carbon tax.

There is no point until it can be established that carbon matters.

(Ok, there already is one on road fuel). It even seems like something that
you might be able to get international agreement on,

No chance with the detail of how it is implemented.

We cant even do that on how company income tax.

instead of all this pussyfooting around about targets.

Double or triple the cost of coal, oil, and gas and all of a sudden
nuclear and renewables start to make real sense.

They make sense without doing that and it makes
no sense to cripple the economys that way.

And you get a strong incentive for electric commercial as well as private
vehicles.

Pity about the massive economic downsides
of those with commercial vehicles.

Peeler[_4_] January 16th 20 08:47 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:48 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER HALF AN HOUR!!!! LOL

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 04:49:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the abnormal senile idiot's latest troll****

04:49!!! And you've been up and trolling since 04:15 ALREADY! Yet AGAIN!
LMAO

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."

Peeler[_4_] January 16th 20 09:10 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 06:16 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 06:16:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH yet more troll****

06:16??? So, you've been up and trolling for over two hours ALREADY!

IOW, you really are so miserable, you can't hide it! LOL

cretin from Oz:

Fredxx[_3_] January 16th 20 09:18 PM

Hydrogen engines

On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

Another Dave January 16th 20 09:34 PM

Hydrogen engines

On 16/01/20 20:18, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

+1

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie

harry January 17th 20 10:32 AM

Hydrogen engines

On Thursday, 16 January 2020 20:18:14 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

how do "nukes" make it more efficient?

FMurtz January 17th 20 11:01 AM

Hydrogen engines

harry wrote:
On Thursday, 16 January 2020 20:18:14 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

how do "nukes" make it more efficient?

Because nukes are much cheaper than other ways

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 17th 20 11:14 AM

Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 10:01, FMurtz wrote:
harry wrote:
On Thursday, 16 January 2020 20:18:14 UTC, FredxxÂ* wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

how do "nukes" make it more efficient?

Because nukes are much cheaper than other ways

It is not that it is more efficient per se,just massively more cost
effectibve. off peak nuclear electricity is almost giveaway

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

charles January 17th 20 11:39 AM

Hydrogen engines

harry wrote:
On Thursday, 16 January 2020 20:18:14 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

how do "nukes" make it more efficient?

Because nukes are much cheaper than other ways

It is not that it is more efficient per se,just massively more cost
effectibve. off peak nuclear electricity is almost giveaway

Itym "almost given away"....i.e. no demand but can't (practically)
stop making it....

which is why pumped storage schemes were build as partnerships with Nuclear.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 17th 20 11:46 AM

Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 10:39, charles wrote:
harry wrote:
On Thursday, 16 January 2020 20:18:14 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

how do "nukes" make it more efficient?

Because nukes are much cheaper than other ways
It is not that it is more efficient per se,just massively more cost
effectibve. off peak nuclear electricity is almost giveaway

Itym "almost given away"....i.e. no demand but can't (practically)
stop making it....

which is why pumped storage schemes were build as partnerships with Nuclear.

It not wuite that they couldnt stop making it, it is just that the cost
of keeping it running is so low.

ALL the cost in nuclear is capital, insurance and maintenance. That
happens whether its running or not. Fuel costs are very low.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Jimk January 17th 20 12:01 PM

Hydrogen engines

harry wrote:
[...]

Oh agreed.

What do we do with electricity if no-one wants it at that moment?
Lightning displays? Build more interconnects ? -must be a
viability constraint(s}?

Wasn't there some blurb on here about the negative effects of
trying to "throttle back" nukes?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Fredxx[_3_] January 17th 20 12:05 PM

Hydrogen engines

harry wrote:
[...]

No blurb that I recall. I don't know the precise details but there is an
issue with reducing core output quickly and thermal energy has to be dumped.

If anything, you're probably thinking of the Chernobyl reactor design
flaw, also the effect of core poisoning from xenon generation.

I don't know if all designs have xenon poisoning, but it certainly makes
the core less stable at low outputs.

charles January 17th 20 12:09 PM

Hydrogen engines

harry wrote:
[...]

and a few staff to make sure it's OK.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 17th 20 12:18 PM

Hydrogen engines

harry wrote:
[...]

They come under maintenenance = O&M Operations and maintenance.

private property.

Karl Marx

Pancho January 17th 20 12:19 PM

Hydrogen engines

On 16/01/2020 20:18, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

How do you know wind cannot be used to make hydrogen. Serious question,
not making a point.

I vaguely remember someone claiming that the required number of
windmills would take up too much area in the UK, but I think I have also
seen claims we could produce ten times our requirements from wind.

Does anyone have a reliable source for a discussion of potential UK wind
capacity, + economics.

Hydrogen can also be used as a replacement for domestic gas heating. So
if we can economically provide enough wind power overcapacity, the two
technologies would be well suited.

Pancho January 17th 20 12:24 PM

Hydrogen engines

It not wuite that they couldnt stop making it, it is just that the cost
of keeping it running is so low.

ALL the cost in nuclear is capital, insurance and maintenance. That
happens whether its running or not. Fuel costs are very low.

For current generation nukes this is due to low demand for uranium. It
wouldn't scale to a world wide energy solution.

Of course if we had fast nukes it would scale.

Then of course if the cost of nukes is all capital rather than fuel why
do people keep pushing fusion as a solution. I can't see why fusion
capital costs would be cheaper than fission and the fuel would
effectively cost the same.

Fredxx[_3_] January 17th 20 12:29 PM

Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 11:19:33, Pancho wrote:
On 16/01/2020 20:18, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

How do you know wind cannot be used to make hydrogen. Serious question,
not making a point.

Accepted as genuine.

The issue is down to occasions where this is no wind and in the middle
of a cloudy day in Winter. I am aware hydrogen can be stored but it is
difficult to contain due to it's diffusive nature.

I haven't seen any articles that don't overcome the need of a reliable
source of power without some form of alternative power generation.

I vaguely remember someone claiming that the required number of
windmills would take up too much area in the UK, but I think I have also
seen claims we could produce ten times our requirements from wind.

Does anyone have a reliable source for a discussion of potential UK wind
capacity, + economics.

I haven't seen anything reliable. Either side is able to put forward
economics to disprove the other.

Hydrogen can also be used as a replacement for domestic gas heating. So
if we can economically provide enough wind power overcapacity, the two
technologies would be well suited.

That may well be the first case where excess wind power is put to good
use. Currently they are paid to not generate.

charles January 17th 20 12:34 PM

Hydrogen engines

In article ,
Pancho wrote:
On 16/01/2020 20:18, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

How do you know wind cannot be used to make hydrogen. Serious question,
not making a point.

I vaguely remember someone claiming that the required number of
windmills would take up too much area in the UK, but I think I have also
seen claims we could produce ten times our requirements from wind.

as long as the wind is blowing.

Does anyone have a reliable source for a discussion of potential UK wind
capacity, + economics.

Hydrogen can also be used as a replacement for domestic gas heating.

I wonder what the Safety Elf would have to say about that ?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Pancho January 17th 20 12:45 PM

Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 11:38, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Pancho

It not wuite that they couldnt stop making it, it is just that the
cost of keeping it running is so low.

ALL the cost in nuclear is capital, insurance and maintenance. That
happens whether its running or not. Fuel costs are very low.

For current generation nukes this is due to low demand for uranium. It
wouldn't scale to a world wide energy solution.

Of course if we had fast nukes it would scale.

Then of course if the cost of nukes is all capital rather than fuel
why do people keep pushing fusion as a solution. I can't see why
fusion capital costs would be cheaper than fission and the fuel would
effectively cost the same.

Nominally, because of reduced nuclear waste.

Fast reactors eat transuranics, fusion reactor containers will become
slightly radioactive. So I can't see that as particularly significant.

Bomb proliferation risk I would give you.

Pancho January 17th 20 01:06 PM

Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 11:45, Pancho wrote:
[...]

Actually I feel a business scheme coming on. What with being told we
need to ditch our gas boilers in favour of ground based heat pumps. We
could offer people radioactive waste to bury in their back garden to
improve the heat pump efficiency.

Pancho January 17th 20 01:15 PM

Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 11:29, Fredxx wrote:
On 17/01/2020 11:19:33, Pancho wrote:
On 16/01/2020 20:18, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we
build more nukes.

How do you know wind cannot be used to make hydrogen. Serious
question, not making a point.

Accepted as genuine.

The issue is down to occasions where this is no wind and in the middle
of a cloudy day in Winter. I am aware hydrogen can be stored but it is
difficult to contain due to it's diffusive nature.

I'm not clear on that. I'm seeing reports that it could be stored using
existing methane storage facilities (not 100% sure of that, perhaps they
meant town gas storage). I'm seeing quotes that this gives something
like several months storage capacity in Germany. It says before
switching to natural gas Germany used town gas which is 60-65% hydrogen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_storage#Underground_hydrogen_storage

I haven't seen any articles that don't overcome the need of a reliable
source of power without some form of alternative power generation.

Over capacity of wind generators reduces the periods of under
generation, also the hydrogen stored during periods of over capacity
could be used for alternate power generation in periods of wind under
production.

So if they can do enough wind and cheap enough it does appear to be a
potential solution. Obviously a big *if*.

Pancho January 17th 20 01:18 PM

Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 11:34, charles wrote:
In article ,
Pancho wrote:
On 16/01/2020 20:18, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

How do you know wind cannot be used to make hydrogen. Serious question,
not making a point.

I vaguely remember someone claiming that the required number of
windmills would take up too much area in the UK, but I think I have also
seen claims we could produce ten times our requirements from wind.

as long as the wind is blowing.

Does anyone have a reliable source for a discussion of potential UK wind
capacity, + economics.

Hydrogen can also be used as a replacement for domestic gas heating.

I wonder what the Safety Elf would have to say about that ?

I seem to recall 10% hydrogen mix is ok with present infrastructure. In
a few years new boilers will be required to be hydrogen ready, I think
adding about £70 to the price. It wouldn't be the first time the UK had
switched gas.

The Other John[_4_] January 17th 20 01:46 PM

Hydrogen engines

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 10:59:30 +0000, Jimk wrote:

What do we do with electricity if no-one wants it at that moment?
Lightning displays? Build more interconnects ? -must be a viability
constraint(s}?

Build massive air-con units and offset global warming! :)

--
TOJ

Andy Burns[_13_] January 17th 20 02:11 PM

Hydrogen engines

charles wrote:

Pancho wrote:

Hydrogen can also be used as a replacement for domestic gas heating.

I wonder what the Safety Elf would have to say about that ?

I think some areas are trialling a natural-gas/hydrogen mix

Andy Burns[_13_] January 17th 20 02:24 PM

Hydrogen engines

Pancho wrote:

Over capacity of wind generators reduces the periods of under
generation, also the hydrogen stored during periods of over capacity
could be used for alternate power generation in periods of wind under
production.

depends if they produce the H2 centrally, then you have to distribute
it, or have "micro" production e.g. at petrol stations or fleet HQs

https://www.itm-power.com/h2-stations

I think they're building a factory in Sheffield to knock out the
hydroliser/compressors in shipping containers. Obviously you've then got
to beef up the electrical distribution instead of hydrogen tankers.