DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Toilet leak (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/643405-toilet-leak.html)

Nick Odell[_2_] January 8th 20 09:05 PM

Toilet leak

Last time I had to deal with a toilet that had developed a leak
between the pan and the soil pipe I used some open-mesh fabric about
2" wide which had been impregnated with a goopy, non-drying substance
which wrapped around the joint area and sealed it up beautifully. That
was years and years ago and I can't remember what it was.

I've now discovered a similar small leak in my toilet at home and I've
searched on-line for the goopy stuff and have drawn a blank.

a)Does anybody know what I'm talking about and if it is still
available?

b)Is there a better way of doing a quick fix?

I'm planning to re-do the bathroom in about a year or so and don't
want to remove the toilet pan and replace the parts properly just to
pull it all out again later if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Nick

The Nomad[_3_] January 8th 20 10:03 PM

Toilet leak

On Wed, 08 Jan 2020 21:45:13 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 08/01/2020 21:05, Nick Odell wrote:
Last time I had to deal with a toilet that had developed a leak between
the pan and the soil pipe I used some open-mesh fabric about 2" wide
which had been impregnated with a goopy, non-drying substance which
wrapped around the joint area and sealed it up beautifully. That was
years and years ago and I can't remember what it was.

Denso tape?

I disforget it as Silglas(s)

Avpx

--
"They said we should mount guards and they'd take steps." "To the nearest
place of safety, no doubt."

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 9th 20 04:23 AM

Toilet leak

On 08/01/2020 22:03, The Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jan 2020 21:45:13 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 08/01/2020 21:05, Nick Odell wrote:
Last time I had to deal with a toilet that had developed a leak between
the pan and the soil pipe I used some open-mesh fabric about 2" wide
which had been impregnated with a goopy, non-drying substance which
wrapped around the joint area and sealed it up beautifully. That was
years and years ago and I can't remember what it was.

Denso tape?

I disforget it as Silglas(s)

SYLGLAS IIRC

Avpx

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

- Leo Tolstoy

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) January 9th 20 08:11 AM

Toilet leak

Yes that is awful stuff, and watch out for old stock which is pointless.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

[email protected] January 9th 20 11:40 AM

Toilet leak

[...]

It'll only take an hour or so to do it properly (unless the pan has been
set on wet mortar) so why not just pop the loo out, clean the spigot
and replace the pan connector?

Nick Odell[_2_] January 9th 20 01:40 PM

Toilet leak

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 11:40:07 +0000, wrote:

[...]

Because of the paragraph written above and because of the unwritten
paragraph about the plumbing complications that would make this a much
bigger job than otherwise necessary if I had to do it in isolation.

Thanks to all who wrote in: yes, that's the stuff I had in mind.
Cheers!

Nick