DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   the 'square' bar in a door (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/642228-square-bar-door.html)

Bill Wright[_3_] November 25th 19 01:19 PM

the 'square' bar in a door

The square bar (the spindle?) should be square in cross section,
shouldn't it? I've just replaced a door handle. The handle had a square
hole but the spindle was 7mm x 8mm so I had to grind a mil off one face.
Is this some sort of manufacturer's stunt to cause incompatibility?

Bill

Tricky Dicky[_4_] November 25th 19 01:53 PM

the 'square' bar in a door

There generally seems some difficulty with spindle bars not fitting either lock or handles, I think a lot of it is down to metrication. Most handles and locks particularly those produced abroad seem to come with 8x8mm square bars whilst imperial ones tended to be 5/16" square. Although the difference is a "midges dick" difference and most locks and handles usually are a sloppy fit that can cope with either, I have come across latches where one will fit and not the other.

Richard

[email protected] November 25th 19 01:55 PM

the 'square' bar in a door

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 1:19:35 PM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
The square bar (the spindle?) should be square in cross section,
shouldn't it? I've just replaced a door handle. The handle had a square
hole but the spindle was 7mm x 8mm so I had to grind a mil off one face.
Is this some sort of manufacturer's stunt to cause incompatibility?

Bill

Just more cheap tat.

The joiner/carpenter who fitted the doors in our office cut all these square bars short. A right royal p.i.a. as the handle is used to pull the door open

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) November 26th 19 09:05 AM

the 'square' bar in a door

I've come across different sizes as well. Not sure there was ever a standard
in the first place.
Brian

--
----- --