DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sub Floor vent (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/642218-sub-floor-vent.html)

Steve J November 25th 19 10:27 AM

Sub Floor vent

I need to install under floor vents that are below outside ground level. I know you can get telescopic air bricks, but that will involve I assume removing a lot of bricks to get the riser bit in. I have seen in the past people do it with a soil pipe bend going through the wall, up the outside with a bend at the top and a grill. Is this ok or should I go with the more usual approach.
Thanks

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 25th 19 10:31 AM

Sub Floor vent

On 25/11/2019 10:27, Steve J wrote:
I need to install under floor vents that are below outside ground
level. I know you can get telescopic air bricks, but that will
involve I assume removing a lot of bricks to get the riser bit in. I
have seen in the past people do it with a soil pipe bend going
through the wall, up the outside with a bend at the top and a grill.
Is this ok or should I go with the more usual approach. Thanks

"should" implies some moral imperative.

What are you trying to achieve?
Does a proposed solution achieve it?
Is it minimal cost?
Is it reasonably aesthetically pleasing?
Are there any potential downsides?

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

newshound November 25th 19 04:28 PM

Sub Floor vent

On 25/11/2019 10:27, Steve J wrote:
I need to install under floor vents that are below outside ground level. I know you can get telescopic air bricks, but that will involve I assume removing a lot of bricks to get the riser bit in. I have seen in the past people do it with a soil pipe bend going through the wall, up the outside with a bend at the top and a grill. Is this ok or should I go with the more usual approach.
Thanks

Only one suspended floor remains in my old stone cottage, but for that
there are "straight through" sub-floor vents that feed into brick
"chimneys" that reach up to ground level, if you see what I mean. These
don't have any sort of cover so they do fill up with leaves, but having
internal dimensions about 8 x 4 inches they are relatively easy to clear
out by hand.