DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Treating woodworm (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/642067-treating-woodworm.html)

[email protected] November 19th 19 09:29 AM

Treating woodworm

One of the many round tuits that eluded me earlier this year was to
spray woodworm killer on the joists and purlins in the sheds. A search
hasn't revealed anything authoritative about what time of year is best;
does the team think there is any point doing it during the winter?
(It needs doing because there was dust beneath some of the holes)

Jimk November 19th 19 10:21 AM

Treating woodworm

Wrote in message:
One of the many round tuits that eluded me earlier this year was to
spray woodworm killer on the joists and purlins in the sheds. A search
hasn't revealed anything authoritative about what time of year is best;
does the team think there is any point doing it during the winter?
(It needs doing because there was dust beneath some of the holes)

I spose, with relative humidity being lower in winter, that your
timbers might be more willing to soak up the delightful poisons
slightly more than in midsummer?

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Andrew[_22_] November 19th 19 02:14 PM

Treating woodworm

On 19/11/2019 09:42, Jimk wrote:
Wrote in message:
One of the many round tuits that eluded me earlier this year was to
spray woodworm killer on the joists and purlins in the sheds. A search
hasn't revealed anything authoritative about what time of year is best;
does the team think there is any point doing it during the winter?
(It needs doing because there was dust beneath some of the holes)

I spose, with relative humidity being lower in winter, that your
timbers might be more willing to soak up the delightful poisons
slightly more than in midsummer?

You can still get solvent-based treatment fluid which soaks in better
all year round.

Some people nail strips of timber that woodwork prefer and once a year
remove, burn and replace with fresh timber lathes.

Jimk November 19th 19 04:02 PM

Treating woodworm

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 19/11/2019 09:42, Jimk wrote:
Wrote in message:
One of the many round tuits that eluded me earlier this year was to
spray woodworm killer on the joists and purlins in the sheds. A search
hasn't revealed anything authoritative about what time of year is best;
does the team think there is any point doing it during the winter?
(It needs doing because there was dust beneath some of the holes)

I spose, with relative humidity being lower in winter, that your
timbers might be more willing to soak up the delightful poisons
slightly more than in midsummer?

You can still get solvent-based treatment fluid which soaks in better
all year round.

I wasn't thinking of using any other...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Andrew[_22_] November 19th 19 06:55 PM

Treating woodworm

On 19/11/2019 15:59, Jimk wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:
On 19/11/2019 09:42, Jimk wrote:
Wrote in message:
One of the many round tuits that eluded me earlier this year was to
spray woodworm killer on the joists and purlins in the sheds. A search
hasn't revealed anything authoritative about what time of year is best;
does the team think there is any point doing it during the winter?
(It needs doing because there was dust beneath some of the holes)

I spose, with relative humidity being lower in winter, that your
timbers might be more willing to soak up the delightful poisons
slightly more than in midsummer?

You can still get solvent-based treatment fluid which soaks in better
all year round.

I wasn't thinking of using any other...

VOC2010 has resulted in some preparations becoming water-based,
so much more difficult to apply.

[email protected] November 19th 19 07:39 PM

Treating woodworm

On 19/11/2019 14:14, Andrew wrote:
On 19/11/2019 09:42, Jimk wrote:
Wrote in message:
One of the many round tuits that eluded me earlier this year was to
spray woodworm killer on the joists and purlins in the sheds. A search
hasn't revealed anything authoritative about what time of year is best;
does the team think there is any point doing it during the winter?
(It needs doing because there was dust beneath some of the holes)

I spose, with relative humidity being lower in winter, that your
Â* timbers might be more willing to soak up the delightful poisons
Â* slightly more than in midsummer?

You can still get solvent-based treatment fluid which soaks in better
all year round.

Some people nail strips of timber that woodwork prefer and once a year
remove, burn and replace with fresh timber lathes.

That seemed like an interesting idea until I looked at the Rentokil
site, which says: "Some prefer softwoods like pine, spruce and cedar
while others like hardwoods such as oak, ash, sweet chestnut and
mahogany" ...

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 19th 19 10:30 PM

Treating woodworm

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 09:29:16 +0000, wrote:

One of the many round tuits that eluded me earlier this year was to
spray woodworm killer on the joists and purlins in the sheds. A search
hasn't revealed anything authoritative about what time of year is best;
does the team think there is any point doing it during the winter?
(It needs doing because there was dust beneath some of the holes)

If you got holes they've been and gone. Does dust fall out of the
holes if you tap the timber? That means they only went fairly
recently.

I'd treat it, even it doesn't penetrate to any grubs in the timber
it'll get 'em as they emerge. It'll also get any new arrivals.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) November 20th 19 09:21 AM

Treating woodworm

I reckon its a rat with a drill.
Brian

--