Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repositioning heating programmer 8 metres...

The programmer on my heating etc is in an inconvenient location &
I want to move it.

The preferred location would involve an approx 8m cable run. I
have some 5 core 0.75mm2 flex.

Can I just stick it on the end of the 5core flex, i.e. extending
the current wiring?
Any electrical or other gotchas to be wary of?

TIA
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The programmer on my heating etc is in an inconvenient location &
I want to move it.

The preferred location would involve an approx 8m cable run. I
have some 5 core 0.75mm2 flex.

Can I just stick it on the end of the 5core flex, i.e. extending
the current wiring?
Any electrical or other gotchas to be wary of?

TIA

Can't you go wireless and be more "future proof"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/11/2019 18:09, Jimk wrote:
John Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The programmer on my heating etc is in an inconvenient location &
I want to move it.

The preferred location would involve an approx 8m cable run. I
have some 5 core 0.75mm2 flex.

Can I just stick it on the end of the 5core flex, i.e. extending
the current wiring?
Any electrical or other gotchas to be wary of?

TIA

Can't you go wireless and be more "future proof"

Just tried a hive (140 quid), wouldn't communicate through my
walls reliably enough to be worthy of being called wireless, so I
thought F it, old skule.... & save 120 quid...

There is nothing future proof about wireless.

Go with your plan.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd think that renewing the whole run was the safest bet, rather than
joining it, but yes, maybe go wireless, but I do have some reservations
about those from houses I've visited where they only work in some places or
stop working for no apparent reason. Bit of a black art radio in this world
of interference and congested bands.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" wrote in message
2.236...
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The programmer on my heating etc is in an inconvenient location &
I want to move it.

The preferred location would involve an approx 8m cable run. I
have some 5 core 0.75mm2 flex.

Can I just stick it on the end of the 5core flex, i.e. extending
the current wiring?
Any electrical or other gotchas to be wary of?

TIA

Can't you go wireless and be more "future proof"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2019 19:29:39, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 13/11/2019 18:09, Jimk wrote:
John Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The programmer on my heating etc is in an inconvenient location &
I want to move it.

The preferred location would involve an approx 8m cable run. I
have some 5 core 0.75mm2 flex.

Can I just stick it on the end of the 5core flex, i.e. extending
the current wiring?
Any electrical or other gotchas to be wary of?

TIA

Can't you go wireless and be more "future proof"

Just tried a hive (140 quid), wouldn't communicate through my
walls reliably enough to be worthy of being called wireless, so I
thought F it, old skule.... & save 120 quid...

There is nothing future proof about wireless.

Go with your plan.

Is that the real ARW?
;-)

Perhaps he's thinking if we all have wireless power too, he'll be out of
a job!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/11/2019 20:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I'd think that renewing the whole run was the safest bet, rather than
joining it, but yes, maybe go wireless, but I do have some reservations
about those from houses I've visited where they only work in some places or
stop working for no apparent reason. Bit of a black art radio in this world
of interference and congested bands.
Brian

Not being an electrician but I would extend the wiring and give it a go
if it doesnt work then just unextend it back to the original.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What sort of old gear are you re-locating?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/11/2019 21:33, Fredxx wrote:
On 13/11/2019 19:29:39, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 13/11/2019 18:09, Jimk wrote:
John Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The programmer on my heating etc is in an inconvenient location &
Â*Â* I want to move it.

The preferred location would involve an approx 8m cable run. I
Â*Â* have some 5 core 0.75mm2 flex.

Can I just stick it on the end of the 5core flex, i.e. extending
Â*Â* the current wiring?
Any electrical or other gotchas to be wary of?

TIA

Can't you go wireless and be more "future proof"

Just tried a hive (140 quid), wouldn't communicate through my
Â*Â* walls reliably enough to be worthy of being called wireless, so I
Â*Â* thought F it, old skule.... & save 120 quid...

There is nothing future proof about wireless.

Go with your plan.

Is that the real ARW?
;-)

Perhaps he's thinking if we all have wireless power too, he'll be out of
a job!

Someone has to wire up the receiver.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/11/2019 23:59, John wrote:
What sort of old gear are you re-locating?

Old stuff that works would be my best guess.

All this programmable mobile phone operated stuff is ********.

In the good old days you threw more coal on the fire and drew in air if
you were cold.

https://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s50s-coal-fires.htm

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2019 18:09, Jimk wrote:
John Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The programmer on my heating etc is in an inconvenient location &
I want to move it.

The preferred location would involve an approx 8m cable run. I
have some 5 core 0.75mm2 flex.

Can I just stick it on the end of the 5core flex, i.e. extending
the current wiring?
Any electrical or other gotchas to be wary of?

TIA

Can't you go wireless and be more "future proof"

Just tried a hive (140 quid), wouldn't communicate through my
walls reliably enough to be worthy of being called wireless, so I
thought F it, old skule.... & save 120 quid...

And to get the full 'benefit' I believe you have to sign up
to a BG package that costs a tenner month or thereabouts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 13/11/2019 18:09, Jimk wrote:
John Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The programmer on my heating etc is in an inconvenient location &
I want to move it.

The preferred location would involve an approx 8m cable run. I
have some 5 core 0.75mm2 flex.

Can I just stick it on the end of the 5core flex, i.e. extending
the current wiring?
Any electrical or other gotchas to be wary of?

TIA

Can't you go wireless and be more "future proof"

Just tried a hive (140 quid), wouldn't communicate through my
walls reliably enough to be worthy of being called wireless, so I
thought F it, old skule.... & save 120 quid...

And to get the full 'benefit' I believe you have to sign up
to a BG package that costs a tenner month or thereabouts.

Gotta link?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

By "Wireless" I certainly wasn't suggesting Hive or any other Internet
based option - just a basic programmable room thermostat which overcomes
the need for a timer.

If a timer is needed for DHW then (firstly why?) surely it could be co-
located with the boiler as surely it doesn't need to be convenient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2019 07:19, Jimk wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:
On 13/11/2019 18:09, Jimk wrote:
John Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The programmer on my heating etc is in an inconvenient location &
I want to move it.

The preferred location would involve an approx 8m cable run. I
have some 5 core 0.75mm2 flex.

Can I just stick it on the end of the 5core flex, i.e. extending
the current wiring?
Any electrical or other gotchas to be wary of?

TIA

Can't you go wireless and be more "future proof"

Just tried a hive (140 quid), wouldn't communicate through my
walls reliably enough to be worthy of being called wireless, so I
thought F it, old skule.... & save 120 quid...

And to get the full 'benefit' I believe you have to sign up
to a BG package that costs a tenner month or thereabouts.

Gotta link?

Just passing on what my neighbour told me when he had BG fit a new
WB Junior boiler with a wireless stat. Something to do with being
able to program it with a mobile phone from anywwhere in the world,
should anyone really need to do so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just passing on what my neighbour told me when he had BG fit a new
WB Junior boiler with a wireless stat. Something to do with being
able to program it with a mobile phone from anywwhere in the world,
should anyone really need to do so.

My Wireless has "Holiday Mode" - tell it how long the house will be empty
and what min temp you want. Vast choice of thermostats available.
..