Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas boiler servicing is not diy

Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the industry for forty
three years and have seen some absolutely leathial fiddling by the don't want
to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you turn up with the police to find
someone dead. Leave all gas work to fully professionals

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...y-1392665-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 14:14, Willy die wrote:
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the
case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the industry for forty
three years and have seen some absolutely leathial fiddling by the don't
want
to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you turn up with the police to
find someone dead. Leave all gas work to fully professionals

Like the idiots that made my Ideal Standard boiler with a leak in
the pipe to the burner.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Willy die wrote on 10/11/2019 :
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely.

What like the British Gas engineer who installed a water heater for my
parents, where he left the supply pipe spewing out gas into there home
due to his total incompetence?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:14:01 +0000, Willy die wrote:

Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the
case to an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to
ensure the appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the
industry for forty three years and have seen some absolutely leathial
fiddling by the don't want to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you
turn up with the police to find someone dead. Leave all gas work to
fully professionals

Like the BG professionals who destroyed my boiler?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Willy die m wrote:

..... another attention seeking troll...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Willy die m wrote:

Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the industry for forty
three years and have seen some absolutely leathial fiddling by the don't want
to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you turn up with the police to find
someone dead. Leave all gas work to fully professionals

The essential qualification is competence. Amateurs do not have a
monopoly on incompetence or carelessness.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 21:01:20 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Willy die m wrote:

Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the industry for forty
three years and have seen some absolutely leathial fiddling by the don't want
to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you turn up with the police to find
someone dead. Leave all gas work to fully professionals

The essential qualification is competence.

Wasn't that the original requirement for working on (your own
especially / specifically) gas / electric, you just had to be a
'competent person'?

Amateurs do not have a
monopoly on incompetence or carelessness.

Quite. ;-)

When I was IT training there was talk of some delegates getting their
certificates but with little in the way of real world experience being
called 'Paper Technicians / engineers'.

Now of course that's a Catch22 as many couldn't get that experience
without qualifications so they had to start somewhere, especially if
moving across from a different field ... and I dealt with secretaries,
managers, general tradesmen and even a girl who was previously running
the tea trolley. ;-)

ITRW, some (often bigger) employers would still often take on a 'Paper
Technician' because they could often get them cheap(er) and could
train them up to actually do the work their way.

A mate who has run his own garage for over 40 years normally looks
after our cars that I can't (time, space, difficulty, equipment etc)
and he recently had to farm out a clutch job on our Meriva because
(without the heavy lifting gear), it was a multi-man job and he is but
one.

I rarely have any issues with his work (over 30+ years now) but the
clutch job came back with a spanner left under the bonnet, some cable
ties just laying around and a lose engine steady. I wasn't rushing
them or anything so maybe they all assumed the other people were doing
the finishing up (possibly an advantage of working on your own as you
have to double check everything and the buck stops with you)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 18:43, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

Willy die wrote on 10/11/2019 :
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely.

What like the British Gas engineer who installed a water heater for my
parents, where he left the supply pipe spewing out gas into there home
due to his total incompetence?

When my daughter moved into her new flat and had the gas
inspection she was told that the hob had a flexible connection
whiich is a fail.

That assumes that the the manufacturer has not stated that a flexible
hose is suitable - in which case it *IS* acceptable.

However, the previous inspectors had passed it every year for
the past 10 years?

So, who were these cowboys? British Gas, of course!

My parents had their fire in the living room and the boiler isolated and
condemned as not conforming to requirements. Funnily enough, it was
rapidly reversed and the prohibitions removed, when they pointed out
that they had installed it 20 years earlier and as a self-installed
system, the gas board had inspected and tested it at the time and signed
of on it!

The only reason anyone was looking was that reported a gas leak, which
the gas board could not find and denied the existence of, despite
multiple visits. We found it ourselves, with soap and water ... in their
connection between the regulator and the meter!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 10:19, John Rumm wrote:

This seems to be a semi FAQ, so I have put the relevant reference data
in a wiki page now:

oops, sorry wrong link, should be:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._co nnections

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/11/2019 14:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Willy die wrote on 10/11/2019 :
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the
case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely.

What like the British Gas engineer who installed a water heater for my
parents, where he left the supply pipe spewing out gas into there home
due to his total incompetence?

Surely, he did a pressure drop test?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB pretended :
Surely, he did a pressure drop test?

That I don't know - I wasn't living there and was working away. It was
a chromed copper pipe 'soldered' into an elbow, where the chrome had
not been removed by the BG engineer. As anyone with any experience will
know, you cannot solder onto chrome.

I had smelled a slight smell of gas every time I had been there, put
put it down to the new water heater. One day when I visited it was
particularly strong, so I investigated and found the pipe loose in the
solder elbow with signs that it had been attempted to be soldered. One
accidental kick and it would have been completely out. I isolated the
gas and called the GB out on an emergency.

It might well have passed a pressure test when first installed, but
like many jobs it relies on work being done with competence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 14:14, Willy die wrote:
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the
case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the industry for forty
three years and have seen some absolutely leathial fiddling by the don't
want
to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you turn up with the police to
find someone dead. Leave all gas work to fully professionals

No skill is involved at all with gas installation with the introduction
of plastic pipes and push fit connectors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 11:20, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
GB pretended :
Surely, he did a pressure drop test?

That I don't know - I wasn't living there and was working away. It was a
chromed copper pipe 'soldered' into an elbow, where the chrome had not
been removed by the BG engineer. As anyone with any experience will
know, you cannot solder onto chrome.

I had smelled a slight smell of gas every time I had been there, put put
it down to the new water heater. One day when I visited it was
particularly strong, so I investigated and found the pipe loose in the
solder elbow with signs that it had been attempted to be soldered. One
accidental kick and it would have been completely out. I isolated the
gas and called the GB out on an emergency.

It might well have passed a pressure test when first installed, but like
many jobs it relies on work being done with competence.

Its possible for a fluxed up but not soldered capillary fitting to pass
a soundness test, since the absolute pressure is pretty low (typically
= 30 mBar) it won't blow apart like it will with water. However give
time / vibration etc it will leak eventually.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 11:54, alan_m wrote:
On 10/11/2019 14:14, Willy die wrote:
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the
case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the industry for
forty
three years and have seen some absolutely leathial fiddling by the
don't want
to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you turn up with the police
to find someone dead. Leave all gas work to fully professionals

No skill is involved at all with gas installation with the introduction
of plastic pipes and push fit connectors.

I suppose one might argue that part of the required level of knowledge
would include knowing that you can't use plastic pipes for internal[1]
gas work :-)

[1] Yellow MDPE is often used for underground pipework before the meter.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 November 2019 11:54:51 UTC, alan_m wrote:
No skill is involved at all with gas installation with the introduction
of plastic pipes and push fit connectors.

Only the skill to know that plastic pipes and push-fit connectors are *not* suitable for use with gas!

(Assuming you're not talking about underground service pipes...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 10:21, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/11/2019 10:19, John Rumm wrote:

This seems to be a semi FAQ, so I have put the relevant reference data
in a wiki page now:

oops, sorry wrong link, should be:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._co nnections

Ah, thank you. It's changed again.

The regs were tightened prohibiting flexibles except where the
manufacturer OKed them, but they have apparently been relaxed and
slightly reworded to allow them again - unless the manufacturer
prohibits it.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/11/2019 12:42, David wrote:
On Monday, 11 November 2019 11:54:51 UTC, alan_m wrote:
No skill is involved at all with gas installation with the introduction
of plastic pipes and push fit connectors.

Only the skill to know that plastic pipes and push-fit connectors are *not* suitable for use with gas!

(Assuming you're not talking about underground service pipes...)

Can you get push fit connectors for gas use with copper pipe? I vaguely
thought that I've seen some?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 12:33, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

When I first moved in the gas supply was capped and the meter missing -
as was the boiler, header tank radiators and gas fire (the house had
been repossessed and either the owner or someone he owed money to had
stripped it ... luckily the hot water tank was too difficult for them to
get out).

I fitted a fire and enquired about getting the meter put back in and the
gas connected. They turned up the next day, did the work and then did a
drop test. The result was fine, despite the cap on the (temporarily)
unused boiler connection sitting loosely on the pipe and not being
tightened at all.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 November 2019 11:54:51 UTC, alan_mÂ* wrote:
No skill is involved at all with gas installation with the introduction
of plastic pipes and push fit connectors.

Only the skill to know that plastic pipes and push-fit connectors are
*not* suitable for use with gas!

(Assuming you're not talking about underground service pipes...)

Can you get push fit connectors for gas use with copper pipe? I vaguely
thought that I've seen some?

There are some crimped (aka "Press fit") copper fittings that are
supposedly ok for gas use, e.g.

https://www.geberit.co.uk/products/p...pper-fittings/

(note the water and gas versions are different)

Then there are the flexible systems based on stainless corrugated pipe
like tracpipe... that uses compression fittings rather than pushfit IIUC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article irect.com,
Willy die m wrote:
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the
case to an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to
ensure the appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the
industry for forty three years and have seen some absolutely leathial
fiddling by the don't want to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you
turn up with the police to find someone dead. Leave all gas work to
fully professionals

Which company do you work for, so we can all avoid it?

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
That assumes that the the manufacturer has not stated that a flexible
hose is suitable - in which case it *IS* acceptable.

Its actually the other way round... flexible hose connection are
permitted *unless* prohibited by the manufacturers documentation.

My Neff came with a flexible hose...

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in news:qq9of4$jor$1
@dont-email.me:

But at least he was probably insured... grin.

Seriously, one of the reasons I have no gas is/was the incompetence of
people who are supposed to know about them.
Brian

I find many gas fitters do not understand the control logic of a modern
boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/11/2019 12:54, GB wrote:
On 11/11/2019 12:42, David wrote:
On Monday, 11 November 2019 11:54:51 UTC, alan_mÂ* wrote:
No skill is involved at all with gas installation with the introduction
of plastic pipes and push fit connectors.

Only the skill to know that plastic pipes and push-fit connectors are
*not* suitable for use with gas!

(Assuming you're not talking about underground service pipes...)

Can you get push fit connectors for gas use with copper pipe? I vaguely
thought that I've seen some?

Some of the fittings that look like they are push fit are actually
crimped/pressed on.

I also thought they were push fit the first time I saw them. Maybe that
is what you have seen.

an example of them here

https://sbs.co.uk/file/Supplier/PY_XPRESS.pdf

You can get push fit connectors for compressed air and I presume that
they would work with natural gas but are not allowed because of the fire
risks.

Cheers

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
says...

On 10/11/2019 22:42, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/11/2019 18:43, Terry Casey wrote:

When my daughter moved into her new flat and had the gas
inspection she was told that the hob had a flexible connection
whiich is a fail.

That assumes that the the manufacturer has not stated that a flexible
hose is suitable - in which case it *IS* acceptable.

Its actually the other way round... flexible hose connection are
permitted *unless* prohibited by the manufacturers documentation.

This seems to be a semi FAQ, so I have put the relevant reference data
in a wiki page now:

http://intranet.balgoresproperty.com..._connection s

I passed that link on to my daughter as I thought it might be
of interest and she has replied with a question:

"Could you ask if it makes a difference if the oven is
electric?

When this came up last year, I did double check with a gas
fitter I know and trust, and he confirmed that it shouldn't be
a flexible hose. I have a feeling either he, or John (who did
the safety check as Rob is always extremely busy) said it was
because the oven is electric, not gas."

I've replied that I can't see that it would make a blind bit
of difference but I am not an expert in these matters so I'd
better do as I've been told and post it here!

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2019 6:17 PM, Terry Casey wrote:

When this came up last year, I did double check with a gas
fitter I know and trust, and he confirmed that it shouldn't be
a flexible hose. I have a feeling either he, or John (who did
the safety check as Rob is always extremely busy) said it was
because the oven is electric, not gas."

We recently installed a Smeg dual-fuel cooker (gas hob, electric oven).
The installation instructions called for a flexible hose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Casey wrote:

In article
,
says...

On 10/11/2019 22:42, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/11/2019 18:43, Terry Casey wrote:

When my daughter moved into her new flat and had the gas
inspection she was told that the hob had a flexible connection
whiich is a fail.

That assumes that the the manufacturer has not stated that a flexible
hose is suitable - in which case it *IS* acceptable.

Its actually the other way round... flexible hose connection are
permitted *unless* prohibited by the manufacturers documentation.

This seems to be a semi FAQ, so I have put the relevant reference data
in a wiki page now:

http://intranet.balgoresproperty.com..._hob,_and_oven
_flexible_pipe_connections

I passed that link on to my daughter as I thought it might be
of interest and she has replied with a question:

"Could you ask if it makes a difference if the oven is
electric?

When this came up last year, I did double check with a gas
fitter I know and trust, and he confirmed that it shouldn't be
a flexible hose. I have a feeling either he, or John (who did
the safety check as Rob is always extremely busy) said it was
because the oven is electric, not gas."

I've replied that I can't see that it would make a blind bit
of difference but I am not an expert in these matters so I'd
better do as I've been told and post it here!

It is true that a gas cooker (oven + hob) probably needs a flexible hose
so you can level it (and perhaps even clean behind it). But that in
itself is not reason why a fixed hob should not have one. Just a reason
why it is not useful in service.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2019 18:17, Terry Casey wrote:
In article
,
says...

On 10/11/2019 22:42, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/11/2019 18:43, Terry Casey wrote:

When my daughter moved into her new flat and had the gas
inspection she was told that the hob had a flexible connection
whiich is a fail.

That assumes that the the manufacturer has not stated that a flexible
hose is suitable - in which case it *IS* acceptable.

Its actually the other way round... flexible hose connection are
permitted *unless* prohibited by the manufacturers documentation.

This seems to be a semi FAQ, so I have put the relevant reference data
in a wiki page now:

http://intranet.balgoresproperty.com..._connection s

I passed that link on to my daughter as I thought it might be

The second link hopefully - that one is no use.

of interest and she has replied with a question:

"Could you ask if it makes a difference if the oven is
electric?

When this came up last year, I did double check with a gas
fitter I know and trust, and he confirmed that it shouldn't be
a flexible hose. I have a feeling either he, or John (who did
the safety check as Rob is always extremely busy) said it was
because the oven is electric, not gas."

Well if the oven is electric, it does not need gas at all!

The hob may be quite remote from the oven, so how that is connected does
not seem relevant.

(and multi fuel free standing cookers with electric ovens are still
connected via a flexible hose).

I've replied that I can't see that it would make a blind bit
of difference but I am not an expert in these matters so I'd
better do as I've been told and post it here!

Well indeed. I don't claim any particular insight here other than having
read the relevant BS docs, and they make no mention of an electric oven
or it having any influence on the choice of connection method.

Possibly worth noting that Tolly's Domestic gas installation practice
guide still paraphrases the wording of the 1982 version of BS 6172 -
i.e. claiming that flexible connections are not suitable for fixed
appliances not intended to be moved by the end user, rather than the
current version that was used from the 2004 version onward.

(I have the 4th edition from 2006, but a quick look at the text of the
5th edition which Amazon have helpfully included the first 295 pages in
their "look inside" feature, suggests that has not changed).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
says...

On 12/11/2019 18:17, Terry Casey wrote:

This seems to be a semi FAQ, so I have put the relevant reference data
in a wiki page now:

http://intranet.balgoresproperty.com..._connection s

I passed that link on to my daughter as I thought it might be

The second link hopefully - that one is no use.

Yes - I've just checked what I sent her and it is the correct
link.

[...]

Thankyou for that, John.

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2019 11:07, Terry Casey wrote:
In article
,
says...

[...]

Should also have said, that you would need to dig out the installation
instructions for the cooker/hob etc. Since it they proscribe a flexible
connection, then that will override the general advice in the BS docs.

--
Cheers,

John.