Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED spotlight bulbs

Hi All

I am looking to replace all my MR16 bulbs with LED ones. Anyone know a cheap place to buy them online?

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/11/2019 13:47, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am looking to replace all my MR16 bulbs with LED ones. Anyone know a cheap place to buy them online?

Thanks

Do they have individual transformers?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes they do
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am looking to replace all my MR16 bulbs with LED ones. Anyone know a
cheap place to buy them online?

Thanks

Lee.

Screwfix do packs of 5 at a reasonable price.

Someone I know spoke highly of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/11/2019 14:46, Lee Nowell wrote:
Yes they do

Then you probably need to swap them for GU10 lamp holders and get LED
GU10 lamps.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why do you suggest changing the fittings?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote in news:7734db5d-e8d4-468a-b674-
:

Why do you suggest changing the fittings?

It will be so you can use GU10 mains bulbs to get rid of th inneficient
transformers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/11/2019 16:25, Lee Nowell wrote:
Why do you suggest changing the fittings?

To save you money as you would need to buy a LED driver for every light,
because the transformer will not cope with the LED lamp (it will say 20W
or 20AV minimum on it)

This is based on what you might have but I am not bad at guessing,

In most cases the light fitting can be reused and it's just it's a
simple case of swapping the transformer for a GU10 lamp holder and the
MR16 for a GU10.

I have done swap overs using my suggestion thousands of times.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Really? Is there going to be that much loss at such a low current? One thing
somebody I know found was the tremendous variability in brightness of
different LED bulbs supposedly the same specs.
Is that common?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" wrote in message
2.236...
Lee Nowell wrote in news:7734db5d-e8d4-468a-b674-
:

Why do you suggest changing the fittings?

It will be so you can use GU10 mains bulbs to get rid of th inneficient
transformers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Really? Is there going to be that much loss at such a low current? One thing
somebody I know found was the tremendous variability in brightness of
different LED bulbs supposedly the same specs.
Is that common?
Brian

Transformers designed for halogen bulbs often won't work with lower
powered LED bulbs. There is also the problem of whether the
transformers produce AC or DC 12V, but that may not matter, I'm not
sure. It is cheaper to replace the bulb holder than the transformer,
and not much harder, while at the same time removing a possible point of
failure.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 16:25, Lee Nowell wrote:
Why do you suggest changing the fittings?

You may be lucky, but many drivers do not work properly unless there is
a certain minimum load on them and LEDs provide too low a load.

I my own bathroom, seven LEDs on a single driver flash on and off twice
a second (despite presenting more than the stated minimum load), but
work perfectly as long as one 35W halogen is present in the setup.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aha as they say... You learn something new everyday . Thanks for this was about to buy a whole load of MR 16's. Will check the transformer and revert back.

Out of interest, why did electricians fit the 12v ones instead of the 240v ones in the first place? Would have saved the expense of the transformer?

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:

Aha as they say... You learn something new everyday . Thanks for this
was about to buy a whole load of MR 16's. Will check the transformer and
revert back.

Out of interest, why did electricians fit the 12v ones instead of the 240v
ones in the first place? Would have saved the expense of the transformer?

Thanks

Lee.

I think 12v halogens are more robiust and last longer, slightly more
efficient and possibly cheaper. They were also available sooner and
perhaps a little smaller, ISTR.

None of that really applies to LEDS, which are really optimised by
having a reasonable quality mains supplied driver as part of the light
fitting rather than part of a replaceable bulb. Maybe one day we will
have modular replacement LED units, but I doubt it; cheaper, easily
replaceable light fittings is probably the way to go.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have just checked my transformers and they say 20 - 60 W/VA so looks like these won't work. Thanks for the tip everyone will know source a GU10 lead and hopefully the bulb diameter is the same and I can reuse the fitting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 08:54, Roger Hayter wrote:
Lee Nowell wrote:

Aha as they say... You learn something new everyday . Thanks for this
was about to buy a whole load of MR 16's. Will check the transformer and
revert back.

Out of interest, why did electricians fit the 12v ones instead of the 240v
ones in the first place? Would have saved the expense of the transformer?

Thanks

Lee.

I think 12v halogens are more robiust and last longer, slightly more
efficient and possibly cheaper. They were also available sooner and
perhaps a little smaller, ISTR.

+All of that. Also the light quality is typically "better" (whiter /
brighter), and you can also use dichroic lamps that project less heat
forward (while giving an attractive colour splash out of the back of the
reflector).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/11/2019 12:54, Lee Nowell wrote:
I have just checked my transformers and they say 20 - 60 W/VA so looks like these won't work. Thanks for the tip everyone will know source a GU10 lead and hopefully the bulb diameter is the same and I can reuse the fitting.

Depending on your fittings the problem of making the GU holder fit is
just down to pot look. Sometimes they are dome shaped, sometimes they
are flat.I had to try a few wholesalers last time before I got one that
fitted.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 November 2019 17:47:02 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 11/11/2019 12:54, Lee Nowell wrote:
I have just checked my transformers and they say 20 - 60 W/VA so looks like these won't work. Thanks for the tip everyone will know source a GU10 lead and hopefully the bulb diameter is the same and I can reuse the fitting.

Depending on your fittings the problem of making the GU holder fit is
just down to pot look. Sometimes they are dome shaped, sometimes they
are flat.I had to try a few wholesalers last time before I got one that
fitted.

--
Adam

Thanks Adam. The fitting itself is one of these.

https://auroraclearance.com/au-dll991.html

the front screws off and inside is an MR16 fitting (like this https://www.toolstation.com/spare-lampholder/p99286) with the bulb itself clipped onto the ring I took off the front. My thinking was to replace the MR16 lamp holder with a GU10 one and wire it and the mains into the junction box at the top (may need a bigger junction box though as holes are small). Does this seem viable?

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Lee Nowell wrote:

Aha as they say... You learn something new everyday . Thanks for this
was about to buy a whole load of MR 16's. Will check the transformer and
revert back.

Out of interest, why did electricians fit the 12v ones instead of the 240v
ones in the first place? Would have saved the expense of the transformer?

Thanks

Lee.

I think 12v halogens are more robiust and last longer, slightly more
efficient and possibly cheaper. They were also available sooner and
perhaps a little smaller, ISTR.

It's the MR11's that are smaller-(small **** take)

I am sure that years ago some Auroa light fittings came with both lamp
holders (MR16 and GU10).

I am going to have to say that not only were the MR16s cheaper and more
robust there was a good chance a customer's cheque would clear before
there were 4 GU10 failures. MR16's also had a 4000K lamp. GU 10 did not.

None of that really applies to LEDS, which are really optimised by
having a reasonable quality mains supplied driver as part of the light
fitting rather than part of a replaceable bulb. Maybe one day we will
have modular replacement LED units, but I doubt it; cheaper, easily
replaceable light fittings is probably the way to go.

Start a protest for them then. I'll join you.

We can march down streets that are badly lit up with LEDs (not the one's
I fitted of course) and call in for a pint in a badly lit pub on the way
(a nice mix and match of warm white and cool white LED lamps in the same
ceiling fixtures)

Greta has not thought of modular and she is supposed to be smart.

All the best.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 17:47, ARW wrote:
On 11/11/2019 12:54, Lee Nowell wrote:
I have just checked my transformers and they say 20 - 60 W/VA so looks
like these won't work. Thanks for the tip everyone will know source a
GU10 lead and hopefully the bulb diameter is the same and I can reuse
the fitting.

Depending on your fittings the problem of making the GU holder fit is
just down to pot look. Sometimes they are dome shaped, sometimes they
are flat.I had to try a few wholesalers last time before I got one that
fitted.

The commonest seem to be GU10s (mains) and MR16s (12V).

GU10s are typically 50mm diameter at the bulb face and MR16s are 51mm.

The fittings I have in our bathroom were supplied without lampholders,
which were bought separately. The bulb is held by a spring clamp in the
fitting, around the rim of the front face of the bulb and the connectors
are simply loose and hold themselves onto the bulb. Changing between
types would simply require swapping the connectors, removing the
transformer and feeding mains directly.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:

Aha as they say... You learn something new everyday . Thanks for this
was about to buy a whole load of MR 16's. Will check the transformer and
revert back.

Out of interest, why did electricians fit the 12v ones instead of the
240v
ones in the first place?Â* Would have saved the expense of the
transformer?

Thanks

Lee.

I think 12v halogens are more robiust and last longer, slightly more
efficient and possibly cheaper.Â*Â* They were also available sooner and
perhaps a little smaller, ISTR.

It's the MR11's that are smaller-(small **** take)

I am sure that years ago some Auroa light fittings came with both lamp
holders (MR16 and GU10).

I am going to have to say that not only were the MR16s cheaper and more
robust there was a good chance a customer's cheque would clear before
there were 4 GU10 failures. MR16's also had a 4000K lamp. GU 10 did not.

None of that really applies to LEDS, which are really optimised by
having a reasonable quality mains supplied driver as part of the light
fitting rather than part of a replaceable bulb.Â* Maybe one day we will
have modular replacement LED units, but I doubt it;Â*Â* cheaper, easily
replaceable light fittings is probably the way to go.

Start a protest for them then. I'll join you.

We can march down streets that are badly lit up with LEDs (not the one's
I fitted of course) and call in for a pint in a badly lit pub on the way
(a nice mix and match of warm white and cool white LED lamps in the same
ceiling fixtures)

I must nip into the Lass o' Gowrie soon and see if it is still gas lit

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We can march down streets that are badly lit up with LEDs (not the
one's I fitted of course) and call in for a pint in a badly lit pub
on the way (a nice mix and match of warm white and cool white LED
lamps in the same ceiling fixtures)

Have you seen the confused customers at the Lamp Display in any
supermarket?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

I must nip into the Lass o' Gowrie soon and see if it is still gas lit

The old Angel Hotel in Ilford was closed and sold off in the
late 70s/early 80s

It was replaced by a new pub built on the site of the former
stable block at the rear and, the first time I visited, I was
surprised to find gas lights on the front of the bar. They
were fairly low so not where you would choose to wait in hot
weather!

One day I was waitng to be served and a lad in his 20s was
waiting next to me - underneath the gas lamp.

Presumably the hissing (and the heat) attracted his attention
because I was vaguely aware of him studying it. Then, without
warning, his hand shot up and he grabbed the white hot mantle
between his thumb and forefinger!

The mantle instantly ceased to exist and his hand flew to his
mouth where he started furiously sucking his incinerated
digits!

"Have you never seen a gas lamp before?" I asked. A rapid
shaking of the head followed then a hasty "No" between sucks.

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Casey wrote:

The old Angel Hotel in Ilford was closed and sold off in the
late 70s/early 80s

It was replaced by a new pub built on the site of the former
stable block at the rear and, the first time I visited, I was
surprised to find gas lights on the front of the bar.

One pub round here still has them in use

https://www.theglobeleicester.com/gallery
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/11/2019 19:37, Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

Yes it's just a matter of getting hold of GU10 lamp holders that will
fit inside the lamp. Often the GU10 holders are domed and a bit taller.

These are smaller than the TS ones if you have problems

https://cpc.farnell.com/v-tac/3423/g...ble/dp/LP10008

Once you have found one that fits you are sorted.

Another option to the replacing the JB is just to use the black choc box
on the actual fitting and join the GU10 lamp holder to the 230V
transformer fly lead (yes just chop off the transformer).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/11/2019 09:31, John wrote:

We can march down streets that are badly lit up with LEDs (not the
one's I fitted of course) and call in for a pint in a badly lit pub
on the way (a nice mix and match of warm white and cool white LED
lamps in the same ceiling fixtures)

Have you seen the confused customers at the Lamp Display in any
supermarket?

Oddly enough I always try and avoid that aisle when wearing my work
clothes (same applies to any DIY store).

Once they spot the company name on the T shirt and know what I do for a
living they close in on me like zombies wanting free advice.....

Actually I am pretty good at the wholesalers, DIY stores and
supermarkets if a member of the public starts asking questions (unless
they are Irish as you know it's a diversion whilst their mate goes and
looks for a van in the car park with the same company name on it as my T
shirt)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/11/2019 13:52, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

[...]

ROTFL.

Thanks for that one Terry.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2019 19:18, ARW wrote:

Once they spot the company name on the T shirt and know what I do for a
living they close in on me like zombies wanting free advice.....

I always wear a white coat and a name badge 'Dr Smith, Gynecologist'.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

As you are well aware there is a difference between a vagina and a ****.