DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Repairing membrane keypad ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/641243-repairing-membrane-keypad.html)

[email protected] October 24th 19 10:44 AM

Repairing membrane keypad ?

My alarm keypad has a few nearly-dead buttons and spares don't seem to
be available (it's a Karizma plus) so I need to either find another that
will work with the system or repair the original.
If there was no alternative I'd try to replace the "keys" with momentary
switches but I'd prefer to keep the membrane if possible.
Has anyone here successfully repaired membrane keypads? If so, how?

Dave Liquorice[_2_] October 24th 19 10:56 AM

Repairing membrane keypad ?

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 10:44:28 +0100, wrote:

If there was no alternative I'd try to replace the "keys" with momentary
switches but I'd prefer to keep the membrane if possible.
Has anyone here successfully repaired membrane keypads? If so, how?

Why is the membrane failing? Breakup of the outer surface due to use
or just intermittent contact? For the latter you might be able to
open up the membrane and clean the contact faces.

See if there is suitably sized third party replacement. Assuming it's
a simple X/Y contact arrangement. Might have juggle connections
around to get the pinout correct.

--
Cheers
Dave.

[email protected] October 24th 19 01:16 PM

Repairing membrane keypad ?

On 24/10/2019 10:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 10:44:28 +0100, wrote:

If there was no alternative I'd try to replace the "keys" with momentary
switches but I'd prefer to keep the membrane if possible.
Has anyone here successfully repaired membrane keypads? If so, how?

Why is the membrane failing? Breakup of the outer surface due to use
or just intermittent contact? For the latter you might be able to
open up the membrane and clean the contact faces.

See if there is suitably sized third party replacement. Assuming it's
a simple X/Y contact arrangement. Might have juggle connections
around to get the pinout correct.

The problem is that some keys need very hard pressure or "jiggling" to
get a contact. When I've previously tried to fix similar things (TV
remotes) by cleaning the PCB it's always been a short term fix,
presumably because of a lack of conductive "stuff" remaining on the
membrane. I'd prefer to try a repair because of the printing on the
membrane and, as it's a common problem, I was hoping that someone here
might have found a long term fix.

Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] October 24th 19 01:25 PM

Repairing membrane keypad ?

wrote:
My alarm keypad has a few nearly-dead buttons and spares don't seem to
be available (it's a Karizma plus) so I need to either find another that
will work with the system or repair the original.
If there was no alternative I'd try to replace the "keys" with momentary
switches but I'd prefer to keep the membrane if possible.
Has anyone here successfully repaired membrane keypads? If so, how?

I've done it with conductive paint, but you'd have to somehow separate
the membrane if the contacts are in 'bubbles'.

Brian Gaff October 24th 19 03:00 PM

Repairing membrane keypad ?

What type is it. Type one two sheets of flexible pcb with a rubber or hard
button on top. Normally can be fixed by silver loaded paint if you can get
the layers apart without doing more damage.
2 blister ones where the top of the blister is conductive inside and shorts
connections underneath. Very hard to fix successfully since you can't get in
to them
3 The remote control type, bumpy pcb underneath, where the contact points
are higher and the bottom of the button coated in a conductive material.
These tend to dry out and turn to powder and this fills the gaps and either
shorts some keys out or stops what is left of the conductive button from
making a contact. In this case, disassemble Clean the pcb using an
ultrasonic cleaner bath to get the gunge out, and then see if you can get it
to work. In the end though the conductive material goes and you end up
having to glue ally foil to the buttons, which is both fiddly and can
eventually fall off.
I feel sure these makers could come up with a better solution than any of
these myself, even if its just a bit of springy phosphor bronze below the
keys, but I guess these other things are almost off the shelf solutions for
simple keypad designs.

I'm sure others will have their pet methods, but in the end a new assembly
might be better for something so crucial as an alarm where key repeats might
lock you out.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

[email protected] October 24th 19 03:36 PM

Repairing membrane keypad ?

On 24/10/2019 15:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

I've assumed, from the feel, that it's the sort where a conductive area
on the bottom of the button bridges tracks on a PCB. I won't be able to
dismantle it for a few weeks but until then I might try changing the
codes to avoid the worn-out digits.

Clive Arthur October 24th 19 04:29 PM

Repairing membrane keypad ?

On 24/10/2019 10:44, wrote:
My alarm keypad has a few nearly-dead buttons and spares don't seem to
be available (it's a Karizma plus) so I need to either find another that
will work with the system or repair the original.
If there was no alternative I'd try to replace the "keys" with momentary
switches but I'd prefer to keep the membrane if possible.
Has anyone here successfully repaired membrane keypads? If so, how?

Might be of some use...

I repaired rubber PCB buttons on a crossword dictionary (like a
calculator only more keys) by gluing pieces of thin conductive plastic
on the worn previously conductive surfaces. The plastic was from a
black anti-static bag used for electronic components, and the glue was a
thin smear of RTV silicone.

It worked for a few years and probably still would but the owner snuffed it.

Cheers
--
Clive

Thomas Prufer October 24th 19 06:16 PM

Repairing membrane keypad ?

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 10:44:28 +0100, wrote:

Has anyone here successfully repaired membrane keypads? If so, how?

Yes...

I'm assuming silicone-rubbery membrane, black conductive spots press on parallel
tracks on circuit board? And you have cleaned the "rubber" and the pcb and it
was better but it needs lots of pressure because the conductive bit doesn't
conduct well?

I got a very small bag of conductive rubber spots and a tiny tube of special
glue, much like silicone sealant. Clean with acetone, shave off a bit of the old
rubber with a scalpel for clearance (which was probably unnecessary), stick on
the tiny very thin spot, job done. It's lasted very, very well.

(I have 97 rubber spots and a tube of dried hardened glue here, somewhere,
probably...)

I think this is the same item and a similar price:

REPLACEMENT Rubbers for Remote Controllers -Pack of:100 Conductive Rubber Pads
https://ebay.us/s16Ngv

Thomas Prufer

Rod Speed October 24th 19 10:28 PM

Repairing membrane keypad ?

wrote in message
My alarm keypad has a few nearly-dead buttons and spares don't seem to be
available (it's a Karizma plus) so I need to either find another that will
work with the system or repair the original.
If there was no alternative I'd try to replace the "keys" with momentary
switches but I'd prefer to keep the membrane if possible.
Has anyone here successfully repaired membrane keypads? If so, how?

I did have a similar problem with a combined light/fan/heater
for bathrooms which just has remote, no switches at all. Found
that the problem was some gunk behind the keypad membrane.
Cleaned that off and it worked fine.

Peeler[_4_] October 24th 19 10:57 PM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 08:28:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I did have a similar problem

NOBODY has problems like you, you abnormal lonely cantankerous senile pest
who gets up EVERY NIGHT between 1 and 4 am in Australia, just troll and
pester people on Usenet!

cretin from Oz:

[email protected] October 24th 19 11:10 PM

Repairing membrane keypad ?

On 24/10/2019 18:16, Thomas Prufer wrote:
[...]

Vielen Dank, Thomas. That's exactly what I was looking for but didn't
know existed.