Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BG Smart socket

Just noticed these the other day so ordered one from TLC for £14.99. Fitted it today and I am quite impressed, it has the usual features of plug in adaptors switching on using the app as well as timer settings. You can manually switch on at the socket by pressing a button but the most impressive for me is that you can control each socket on the device separately so no more need for all those adaptors sticking out of the socket and the whole thing fits in a 25mm deep box.

It also works with Alexa but she is being a bit awkward with mine in that she will not switch it on manually from the Alexa app but will using voice control and unlike the BG Home app she does not control the sockets separately so will need to work on that!

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
Just noticed these the other day so ordered one from TLC for £14.99.
Fitted it today and I am quite impressed, it has the usual features of
plug in adaptors switching on using the app as well as timer settings.
You can manually switch on at the socket by pressing a button but the
most impressive for me is that you can control each socket on the device
separately so no more need for all those adaptors sticking out of the
socket and the whole thing fits in a 25mm deep box.

It also works with Alexa but she is being a bit awkward with mine in that
she will not switch it on manually from the Alexa app but will using
voice control and unlike the BG Home app she does not control the sockets
separately so will need to work on that!

Richard

Interesting. I do worry a little about the parasitic load of all these
USB/smart/whateveriscomingnext sockets though.

Link for those interested...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG922HC.html

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Interesting. I do worry a little about the parasitic load of all these
USB/smart/whateveriscomingnext sockets though.

I give it 4 years until the app stops working...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Theo" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:
Interesting. I do worry a little about the parasitic load of all these
USB/smart/whateveriscomingnext sockets though.

I give it 4 years until the app stops working...

How much are you going to pay me when mine still works
fine. Given its zigbee, it already works with all of Homekit,
siri, google and alexa, and wont be stopping any time soon.

The X10 system still works after more than a decade but
I havent used it for years now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 09:19:43 +1100, ZakJames, better known as cantankerous

I give it 4 years until the app stops working...

How much are you going to pay me

FLUSH the abnormal senile asshole's latest troll****

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 23:19, ZakJames wrote:

"Theo" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:
Interesting.* I do worry a little about the parasitic load of all these
USB/smart/whateveriscomingnext sockets though.

I give it 4 years until the app stops working...

How much are you going to pay me when mine still works
fine. Given its zigbee, it already works with all of Homekit,
siri, google and alexa, and wont be stopping any time soon.

The X10 system still works after more than a decade but
I havent used it for years now.

I can't find anywhere that says its ZigBee, any links?
Alexa and Google support seem to rely on the BG app being set up so I
would expect them to need the app.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 15:39, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Just noticed these the other day so ordered one from TLC for £14.99. Fitted it today and I am quite impressed, it has the usual features of plug in adaptors switching on using the app as well as timer settings. You can manually switch on at the socket by pressing a button but the most impressive for me is that you can control each socket on the device separately so no more need for all those adaptors sticking out of the socket and the whole thing fits in a 25mm deep box.

It also works with Alexa but she is being a bit awkward with mine in that she will not switch it on manually from the Alexa app but will using voice control and unlike the BG Home app she does not control the sockets separately so will need to work on that!

Richard

Can you connect to the switch remotely? or does the phone have to be
connected to the local wifi?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_Hue
https://www.google.com/search?q=Does+Hue+use+Zigbee%3F

Alexa and Google support seem to rely on the BG app being set up so I
would expect them to need the app.

No they do not. All you need to do is set up the devices in Homekit
or the other zigbee supporting systems. No need for the app.

And there isnt just one app for the Hue system,
there are dozens of them from 3rd parties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

Can you connect to the switch remotely? or does the phone have to be
connected to the local wifi?

At a rough guess your phone connects half way round the world to a
server that the smart socket has already connected to, and the phone
asks the server to tell the socket to turn on/off ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 05:01:34 +1100, ZakJames, better known as cantankerous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_Hue

Philips Hue? AGAIN? I believe I told you already you can shove your Philips
Hue up yours, senile pest!

Alexa and Google support seem to rely on the BG app being set up so I
would expect them to need the app.

No they do not.

You can ESPECIALLY shove Alexa and Google up your senile arse, senile
Rodent!

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you connect to the switch remotely? or does the phone have to be
connected to the local wifi?

Short answer - yes. However unlike the likes of Hive you do not need a separate hub.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2019 19:11, Andy Burns wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:

Can you connect to the switch remotely? or does the phone have to be
connected to the local wifi?

At a rough guess your phone connects half way round the world to a
server that the smart socket has already connected to, and the phone
asks the server to tell the socket to turn on/off ...

Could be, I have a thermostat which works like that. You just have to
hope that the server is kept running.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ore than a decade but
I havent used it for years now.

I can't find anywhere that says its ZigBee, any links?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_Hue
https://www.google.com/search?q=Does+Hue+use+Zigbee%3F

We are talking about a BG socket, where does Phillips Hue come from...

Alexa and Google support seem to rely on the BG app being set up so I
would expect them to need the app.

No they do not. All you need to do is set up the devices in Homekit
or the other zigbee supporting systems. No need for the app.

Is there any doc on that?

And there isnt just one app for the Hue system,
there are dozens of them from 3rd parties.

Where does it say its part of "hue"?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Wade" wrote in message
ore than a decade but
I havent used it for years now.

I can't find anywhere that says its ZigBee, any links?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_Hue
https://www.google.com/search?q=Does+Hue+use+Zigbee%3F

We are talking about a BG socket, where does Phillips Hue come from...

From the usual thread divergence when someone said
they would never use anything like that because you'd
be lucky if the remote server or app stayed viable for
long. The big advantage with a standard like zigbee
is that it will continue fine even if the manufacturer
goes bust etc.

Alexa and Google support seem to rely on the BG app being set up so I
would expect them to need the app.

No they do not. All you need to do is set up the devices in Homekit
or the other zigbee supporting systems. No need for the app.

Is there any doc on that?

Yep google Homekit, google and alexa.

And there isnt just one app for the Hue system,
there are dozens of them from 3rd parties.

Where does it say its part of "hue"?

It doesn’t because it isnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ZakJames wrote:

The big advantage with a standard like zigbee
is that it will continue fine even if the manufacturer
goes bust etc.

except the BG socket has WiFi, not ZigBee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 11:25:14 +1100, ZakJames, better known as cantankerous

We are talking about a BG socket, where does Phillips Hue come from...

From the usual thread divergence when someone said

Nope, from the usual senile troll in this group, you trolling senile
arsehole!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ZakJames wrote:

The big advantage with a standard like zigbee
is that it will continue fine even if the manufacturer
goes bust etc.

except the BG socket has WiFi, not ZigBee

Duh. If the quoting hadn't been stripped back so
aggressively, it would be obvious that comment
wasn't about the BG socket, it was about whether
all of those sockets would be at risk if the
manufacturer went bust or gave up on the socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 20:02:12 +1100, ZakJames, better known as cantankerous

Duh.

Those three letters sum up your entire existence, senile Rodent!