Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combined back boxes

Owing to limited wall space in certain areas of my kitchen rewire I need to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close as possible. I have come across a number of back boxes that will take a number of accessories eg.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP335.html

Just to complicate matters domestic management wants chrome accessories but I note that these type of boxes are only to be used with white plastic versions. Is there some reason for this and is it a safety issue? Do the dimensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like the white plastic versions?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 October 2019 09:56:56 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Do the dimensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like
the white plastic versions?

No they don't. Even white plastics can vary a bit.

I would use ordinary metal boxes joined with conduit couplers and male bushes. That will get you even spacing with a small gap between.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 09:56, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Owing to limited wall space in certain areas of my kitchen rewire I need to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close as possible. I have come across a number of back boxes that will take a number of accessories eg.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP335.html

Just to complicate matters domestic management wants chrome accessories but I note that these type of boxes are only to be used with white plastic versions. Is there some reason for this and is it a safety issue? Do the dimensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like the white plastic versions?

I suspect TLC are playing safe there. The combined back boxes can't be
used with some fittings which are larger than the usual 86x86 mm - eg
some of the "flat plate screwless" ones. But I have used one with metal
ones which are the bog standard size.

Adam posted some time ago a method of dealing with ones which are too
big for a dual box.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/%22Dual$20Back$20Box%22/uk.d-i-y/FpZZ5dWIb9I/dejQQCfl0ksJ

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That link does not work for me Robin.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have used these before to link individual boxes but only with white plastic accessories, got to say it does a neat job. I cannot say what difference there might be in the spacings doing it this way or getting a combined box?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP604.html

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/10/2019 11:16, Tricky Dicky wrote:
That link does not work for me Robin.

Richard

Use two single back boxes.

To line them up you just need a piece of wood between the two boxes that is
the exact width needed to keep the face plates apart. You need to put the
faceplates onto the back boxes put them side by side and measure the gap
between the back boxes, cut a piece of wood to match and fit the back boxes
into the wall with the wood in place.

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 11:16, Tricky Dicky wrote:
That link does not work for me Robin.

Richard

try

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.d...I/JSu3wK9x7VwJ

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 11:16, Tricky Dicky wrote:
That link does not work for me Robin.

Richard

https://tinyurl.com/yxuehacz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can see how the packing piece of wood works especially on an unplastered wall where a temporary piece of wood can be attached to act as a datum whilst installing. However installing the boxes individually with just a packer in between still has the potential for some vertical misalignment.

When putting three double sockets in a line behind our TV unit I used two steel strips pop rivetted to the back of the boxes which if I remember correctly were spaced 15mm apart, worked a treat.

I am just looking for a simple but accurate means of aligning a number of sockets and switches as the walls will be tiled and nothing shows up dodgy or unlevel alignment than tiles! I suppose as someone has pointed out there can be some variation in metal faceplates especially the low profile type. We actually intend to use profiled accessories so it will probably mean checking dimensions and suck it and see. If I have to try out a few back boxes so be it they are not the most expensive items in this rewire.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 12:04, Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Spirit level, fix batten to wall, fit back boxes against batten, remove
batten.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 12 October 2019 09:56:56 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Do the dimensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like
the white plastic versions?

No they don't. Even white plastics can vary a bit.

I would use ordinary metal boxes joined with conduit couplers and male
bushes. That will get you even spacing with a small gap between.

IIRC, TLC sell coupling bits to allow two boxes to be fixed at the minimum
distance. Easier than using conduit couplers.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One slight issue with those couplers Dave. They only work on fixed lug boxes! You can get them to hold boxes with one fixed and one moving lug by turning one box upside down and using the two fixed lugs but two boxes are your limit.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/10/2019 09:56, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Owing to limited wall space in certain areas of my kitchen rewire I need to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close as possible. I have come across a number of back boxes that will take a number of accessories eg.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP335.html

Just to complicate matters domestic management wants chrome accessories but I note that these type of boxes are only to be used with white plastic versions. Is there some reason for this and is it a safety issue? Do the dimensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like the white plastic versions?

Scolmore New Media?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 October 2019 09:56:56 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Owing to limited wall space in certain areas of my kitchen rewire I need to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close as possible. I have come across a number of back boxes that will take a number of accessories eg.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP335.html

Just to complicate matters domestic management wants chrome accessories but I note that these type of boxes are only to be used with white plastic versions. Is there some reason for this and is it a safety issue? Do the dimensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like the white plastic versions?

How about these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switched-Fu.../dp/B01CUMH54E

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This discussion takes me back to sometime near the end of the 1960s. There
were some 13A sockets around that looked like chrome, but were in fact
plastic with a thin shiny silver coating. It was conductive too.The problems
started about a year later when flakes of the silver came off, indeed I got
one stuck in my finger. This made the part where the plug fitted look
decidedly naff.
I guess it was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the
time. You used to find toys with this coating as well and the same bonding
issue happened on those.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
On 12/10/2019 09:56, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Owing to limited wall space in certain areas of my kitchen rewire I need
to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close
as possible. I have come across a number of back boxes that will take a
number of accessories eg.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP335.html

Just to complicate matters domestic management wants chrome accessories
but I note that these type of boxes are only to be used with white
plastic versions. Is there some reason for this and is it a safety issue?
Do the dimensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like the
white plastic versions?

Scolmore New Media?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/10/2019 11:26, GB wrote:
On 12/10/2019 11:16, Tricky Dicky wrote:
That link does not work for me Robin.

Richard

Use two single back boxes.

To line them up you just need a piece of wood between the two boxes that is
the exact width needed to keep the face plates apart. You need to put the
faceplates onto the back boxes put them side by side and measure the gap
between the back boxes, cut a piece of wood to match and fit the back boxes
into the wall with the wood in place.

At the time I had a retired neighbour that lived opposite me that liked
to keep himself busy.

He used to make them for me. He passed away some years ago. The sort of
bloke who would take your wheelie bin back in whilst you were out at
work or take it out if you were working away (without having to ask him).

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/10/2019 08:37, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 12 October 2019 09:56:56 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Owing to limited wall space in certain areas of my kitchen rewire I need to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close as possible. I have come across a number of back boxes that will take a number of accessories eg.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP335.html

Just to complicate matters domestic management wants chrome accessories but I note that these type of boxes are only to be used with white plastic versions. Is there some reason for this and is it a safety issue? Do the dimensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like the white plastic versions?

How about these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switched-Fu.../dp/B01CUMH54E

And the can of chrome spray paint?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/10/2019 09:56, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Owing to limited wall space in certain areas of my kitchen rewire I need to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close as possible. I have come across a number of back boxes that will take a number of accessories eg.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP335.html

Just to complicate matters domestic management wants chrome accessories but I note that these type of boxes are only to be used with white plastic versions. Is there some reason for this and is it a safety issue? Do the dimensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like the white plastic versions?

I am sure what you linked to would work with some chrome switches and
sockets (eg the CLICK DECO stuff without it's plastic trim and some
Volex chrome stuff)

The majority of chrome stuff however seems to be wider than the white stuff.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

y.

He used to make them for me. He passed away some years ago. The sort
of bloke who would take your wheelie bin back in whilst you were out
at work or take it out if you were working away (without having to ask
him).

We should all try to be that neighbour whilst we can.