Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED panel ceiling lights

On 13/10/2019 14:16, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Saturday, 12 October 2019 21:25:24 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 12/10/2019 12:53, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 11 October 2019 10:14:59 UTC+1, wrote:
Earlier I asked about downlighters and several replies suggested LED
panels, having experimented with a few types of downlighters I'm
unimpressed so want to explore the options with LED panels. The problem
is that it's not possible to look at them in shops, or to pick one up
(cheaply) to experiment with, so I hope there's a bit more experience
with them out there in uk.d-i-y.

The circular panels penetrate the ceiling but I can't find any mention
of them being "fire rated", are there any that are? If not, what do
people do?
It seems that some (most?) of the rectangular and square panels can sit
under an unbroken ceiling, which would be wise because when one fails it
probably won't be easy to find a replacement to fit into a girt big hole.
What are people's experiences with these panels?
Prices seem to vary from tens of pounds to hundreds for similar light
output. I'm loath to fork out for two or three at £150, or so, each.
Are there any makes/models to look for or avoid?

Has anyone tried the ones available in Lidl from Thursday 3rd October?

No, but how about CPC?

https://tinyurl.com/y3lxnghl

and

https://tinyurl.com/y6cmqef6

As they are mail order, you can return them under the distance selling
regulations.

SteveW

I see the first one, at least, says No Longer Stocked (though they have quite a few in stock). Doesn't engender confidence.

A bit of an oddity on their site I think - it is actually one of the
promotional items in their latest mail-shot and as of one minute ago
says 336 in stock!

I actually got a Lidl one on the basis of returning but wanted to ask before using it at all (easier to take back whilst still sealed up).

Fair enough.

I'm looking at buying four (possibly six) soon, but I've been spending
too much on other things, so it can wait a bit.

SteveW