DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pancake Generator Wind Turbine? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/640644-pancake-generator-wind-turbine.html)

John October 8th 19 06:52 PM

Pancake Generator Wind Turbine?

Saw some wind turbines that had very short but quite large diameter
generator housings.

What is the difference?

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 8th 19 06:58 PM

On 08/10/2019 18:52, John wrote:
Saw some wind turbines that had very short but quite large diameter
generator housings.

What is the difference?

No gearbox

Multipole design

Tim+[_5_] October 8th 19 07:28 PM

John wrote:
Saw some wind turbines that had very short but quite large diameter
generator housings.

What is the difference?

Possibly the number of poles that can be fitted in the generator? I suspect
that this means they are €śdirect drive€ť and dont have/need a gearbox.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

PeterC October 8th 19 10:39 PM

On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 17:52:33 GMT, John wrote:

Saw some wind turbines that had very short but quite large diameter
generator housings.

What is the difference?

There's one at Glyndebourne that's direct drive - losses are less than
through a gearbox, of course. No idea what the drawbacks are, but possibly
limited output.
Video of the construction about half-way down the page; for the impatient
ones, skip to 2 min. It shows the housing, with men inside it, before the
front is fitted.
https://www.glyndebourne.com/about-u...e-environment/
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Andy Burns[_13_] October 9th 19 01:15 AM

John wrote:

Saw some wind turbines that had very short but quite large diameter
generator housings.

This type?

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=enercon+e-126+ep-3

What is the difference?

They look ugly compared to ones with a longer nacelle.

From my google image search for "wind turbine", 13/300 involved smoke
and flames ...

harry October 9th 19 06:46 AM

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 19:28:46 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
John wrote:
Saw some wind turbines that had very short but quite large diameter
generator housings.

What is the difference?

Possibly the number of poles that can be fitted in the generator? I suspect
that this means they are €śdirect drive€ť and dont have/need a gearbox.

Also no gearbox = much quieter.

John October 9th 19 04:32 PM

Pancake Generator Wind Turbine?

..

Thanks - was able to Google "direct drive wind turbine" and found this:
https://www.windpowerengineering.com...ds-no-gearbox/

PeterC October 9th 19 05:22 PM

On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 15:32:38 GMT, John wrote:

.

Thanks - was able to Google "direct drive wind turbine" and found this:
https://www.windpowerengineering.com...ds-no-gearbox/

That's impressive - and so is the wind that it can withstand. 59m/s is about
130mph.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Brian Gaff October 9th 19 05:29 PM

Pancake Generator Wind Turbine?

It presumably is the inverse of the direct drive motors that are flat. We
had some when I worked for Racal, they were going to be used on some
automated battle ready spy device to be parachuted in behind lines or
somesuch.
Brian

--
----- --