Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ladder: use at near vertical

I've got a tight passage at the side of the house where a ladder cannot lean at an adequate angle for normal use. I'm thinking about fitting some kind of clamp or bracket on the side of the house to allow near vertical ladder position without the risk of the ladder falling away from the building. Does anyone make such things, or do I need to make one, or have one fabricated?

Thanks.

Bill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 06:06:31 UTC+1, wrote:
I've got a tight passage at the side of the house where a ladder cannot lean at an adequate angle for normal use. I'm thinking about fitting some kind of clamp or bracket on the side of the house to allow near vertical ladder position without the risk of the ladder falling away from the building. Does anyone make such things, or do I need to make one, or have one fabricated?

https://www.rawlplug.co.uk/product/r...bolt-eye-bolt/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Climbing a vertical ladder is bad enough but working off one is even more difficult unless you can get hold of the type of harness the Openreach engineers use up a pole. Safest solution is hire a cherry picker or if the passage will take it a tower scaffold.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whatever you do most vertical ladders have a tread at 90 degrees, if you use
a normal ladder these days, the treads are sloped to accommodate the angle
of climbing, so you need the kind of ladder which is meant to be mounted
vertically. I've seen them on ships, brackets all the way up.
I have to say it feels very odd climbing them though. You feel you need a
safety attachment.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I've got a tight passage at the side of the house where a ladder cannot lean
at an adequate angle for normal use. I'm thinking about fitting some kind of
clamp or bracket on the side of the house to allow near vertical ladder
position without the risk of the ladder falling away from the building. Does
anyone make such things, or do I need to make one, or have one fabricated?

Thanks.

Bill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 07:13:45 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
Fred shows how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F04dGK1_wYA

Indians do it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeEXT_svEUQ

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I've got a tight passage at the side of the house where a ladder cannot lean
at an adequate angle for normal use. I'm thinking about fitting some kind of
clamp or bracket on the side of the house to allow near vertical ladder
position without the risk of the ladder falling away from the building. Does
anyone make such things, or do I need to make one, or have one fabricated?

Thanks.

Bill.

Could you not raise the ladder parallel to the wall and use proprietary support at the back of it. Not ideal as you would be working sideways on the ladder. We use a version of one of these to help cut a very tall hedge and find it very effective and safe especially on uneven ground as the supports are individually adjustable
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've got a tight passage at the side of the house where a ladder cannot
lean at an adequate angle for normal use. I'm thinking about fitting some
kind of clamp or bracket on the side of the house to allow near vertical
ladder position without the risk of the ladder falling away from the
building. Does anyone make such things, or do I need to make one, or have one fabricated?

Thanks.

Bill.

You mention a tight passage, if this is between two buildings wont the
foot of the ladder be prevented from sliding away from the wall you are
laying the top of the ladder against by the second building?

If you are careful, you could climb it and fix some Rawl Bolt eyes to tie
the ladder to for extra security.

A safety harness clipped to the, secured, ladder may not be a bad idea if
you are concerned- even if you are normally ok on a ladder you can get
distracted and taking chances is a good idea if you arent 100% confident
in the ladder etc.

Alternatively, consider hiring a platform.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 06:06:31 UTC+1, wrote:
I've got a tight passage at the side of the house where a ladder cannot lean at an adequate angle for normal use. I'm thinking about fitting some kind of clamp or bracket on the side of the house to allow near vertical ladder position without the risk of the ladder falling away from the building. Does anyone make such things, or do I need to make one, or have one fabricated?

Thanks.

Bill.

put a couple of expanding bolts into the brickwork.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/10/2019 11:11, Brian Reay wrote:

If you are careful, you could climb it and fix some Rawl Bolt eyes to tie
the ladder to for extra security.

Do these even need to be at the top? Head height and a piece of rope may
do it.

A safety harness clipped to the, secured, ladder may not be a bad idea if
you are concerned- even if you are normally ok on a ladder you can get
distracted and taking chances is a good idea if you arent 100% confident
in the ladder etc.

Alternatively, consider hiring a platform.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 12:50:04 +0100, Robin wrote:

And fit a hanger which will take a karabiner and use that to secure the
safety harness - not the ladder.

And should you fall and be dangling in your harness who is going to
get you down? You don't have long before the blood starts to pool in
your legs and the brain starved of blood and thus oxygen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_trauma

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2019 14:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 12:50:04 +0100, Robin wrote:

And fit a hanger which will take a karabiner and use that to secure the
safety harness - not the ladder.

And should you fall and be dangling in your harness who is going to
get you down? You don't have long before the blood starts to pool in
your legs and the brain starved of blood and thus oxygen.

Fair question.

In my case, me if I'm still conscious as I use a rope and descendeur.

If I'm unconscious then I could be in trouble. But then I can't think
when I last used a ladder where there was a risk of something falling on
me. And the risk of a fall due to heart attack, haemorrhage etc seems
to me not unlike the risk of the same happening in a car at 70 mph and
that doesn't stop me driving alone.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2019 08:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Climbing a vertical ladder is bad enough but working off one is even more difficult unless you can get hold of the type of harness the Openreach engineers use up a pole. Safest solution is hire a cherry picker or if the passage will take it a tower scaffold.

Richard

I fitted a scaffolding pole housing (the type that
wouldbe fitted to a concrete/solid base with four
expanding bolts, and allowing a vertical pole to
be inserted) onto the side of the last house I owned.

Into it I inserted a 1 mtre long section of allow
tubing, 2 inch diameter with another housing on the
end and strapped the ladder sideways up the
wall.

After use I just left the 'base' fitted to the wall,
but sprayed it red to disguise it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2019 12:56, GB wrote:
On 08/10/2019 11:11, Brian Reay wrote:

If you are careful, you could climb it and fix some Rawl Bolt eyes to tie
the ladder to for extra security.

Do these even need to be at the top? Head height and a piece of rope may
do it.

I would secure the bottom of the ladder to the other wall. and I would
have two attachment points for the ladder, one about halfway up and one
near the top.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When we had the roof done at our last house the scaffolders secured a large eye bolt to the house the eye being big enough to slide a scaffold pole through. When they dismantled the scaffolding I asked the guy in charge if they would leave it as it was in a handy place to tie a ladder onto to get on the roof. He said they were expected to bring it back even the bit that went into the brickwork, he did however leave the latter in place and would tell his boss they could not get it out. The only problem was that nothing else fitted the fixture other than the eye hook they took away!

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 08/10/2019 11:11, Brian Reay wrote:

If you are careful, you could climb it and fix some Rawl Bolt eyes to tie
the ladder to for extra security.

Do these even need to be at the top? Head height and a piece of rope may
do it.

And a lot safer to install in the first place.

A safety harness clipped to the, secured, ladder may not be a bad idea if
you are concerned- even if you are normally ok on a ladder you can get
distracted and taking chances is a good idea if you arent 100% confident
in the ladder etc.

Alternatively, consider hiring a platform.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2019 14:08:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 12:50:04 +0100, Robin wrote:

And fit a hanger which will take a karabiner and use that to secure the
safety harness - not the ladder.

And should you fall and be dangling in your harness who is going to
get you down? You don't have long before the blood starts to pool in
your legs and the brain starved of blood and thus oxygen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_trauma

What's wrong with something like this?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/delta-plu...rest-kit/3404r

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 20:27:59 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

And fit a hanger which will take a karabiner and use that to

secure
the safety harness - not the ladder.

And should you fall and be dangling in your harness who is going

get you down? You don't have long before the blood starts to pool

in
your legs and the brain starved of blood and thus oxygen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_trauma

What's wrong with something like this?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/delta-plu...ractable-fall-
arrest-kit/3404r

How does that help when you've fallen and are dangling on the end of
it?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2019 12:50, Robin wrote:

Expanding bolts are a good way to crack bricks. Better to use resin
anchor or concrete screws - and a pair spaced across courses if the wall
is at all suspect.

Only if the bricks are very weak. However I prefer the type of anchor
bolt that has a sleeve at the bottom of the hole that expands and jams.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How far apart are the walls? I'm thinking of the peranently fixed vertical ladders with a tunnel cage found on various sites. Regular users often lean back against the cage as they go up or down while carrying bulky items. A wall at your back is even better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the replies.

Responding to a number of suggestions relating to using the adjacent building to brace the ladder- unfortunately,that is not an option in this case. There is a space of about 8 feet between the buildings, but with a fence dividing that space. The reality is that the maximum distance from my house that I can rest the ladder base is about 3 feet.

I watched the Dibnah vid on laddering a chimney some time back. Amazing chap. Can't recall whether it's that vid, or a different one, where he climbs an old tower with a big ledge at the top and with his ladders strapped around the downward-facing underside of the ledge. It looked terrifying.

I'm no Dibnah and the height of working will be up to gutter level of a two storey house. I have a small platform to get a lower bracket fixed to the wall at, say, 8 to 10 feet up. With that in place, I could fix the ladder and get another bracket higher up. My plan was to use a harness because I appreciate that hanging on without gravity in my favour would be tricky!

Thanks.

Bill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 06:14:17 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

The danger is with (near)vertical ladders that there is insufficient friction between the wall and the top of the ladder to stop the top of the ladder sliding sideways.
The fence will be a big problem as it impedes access.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Better/safer with a tower if you ask me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now we have more detail it suggests various options
1. speak to the owner of the other side of the fence and access from that side
2. get help for the first attempt while you install stainless steel eyebolts at each end of the restricted section with a tensioned stainless steel cable between them to which you can secure a sliding uv resistant nylon rope.
Whenever you require to access the gutter etc place the ladder and slide the rope next to it. Hold the rope under tension as you climb to prevent the tendency to fall backwards and when you are high enough tie it off to the ladder. On completion reverse the process.
3. Install "hook" brackets to engage with the top rung and "hang" the ladder before climbing.
4. Buy one of the compound ladders which have sections that can be conjured to form a big FO step ladder and work sideways. (The neighbours will probably want to borrow it from time to time)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 02:07, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/10/2019 12:50, Robin wrote:

Expanding bolts are a good way to crack bricks. Better to use resin
anchor or concrete screws - and a pair spaced across courses if the
wall is at all suspect.

Only if the bricks are very weak.

I defer to your vastly greater experience. I'm probably be biased (or
is it scarred?) from living the past 45 years in London among
predominantly London stock. [Cue "soft Southerner" digs.]

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it not simpler to ask your neighbour for permission to use his property to rest the ladder in or is that another problem?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 10:03, Robin wrote:
On 09/10/2019 02:07, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/10/2019 12:50, Robin wrote:

Expanding bolts are a good way to crack bricks. Better to use resin
anchor or concrete screws - and a pair spaced across courses if the
wall is at all suspect.

Only if the bricks are very weak.

I defer to your vastly greater experience.Â* I'm probably be biased (or
is it scarred?) from living the past 45 years in London among
predominantly London stock.Â* [Cue "soft Southerner" digs.]

I really should have said that although expanding bolts are OK for 80
90% of the time in reasonable bricks, you do get an occasional failure
when the brick has a flaw. And you do have to keep your hole well away
from the edges of the brick. And they are hopeless in soft bricks,
unless you are prepared to not tighten them properly (which is often done).

I have always preferred sleeve anchors for that reason. They do seem to
stress the brick less. They aren't without their problems however. It's
best to use the ones with a nut at the visible end rather than a bolt
head. There are a few tricks.

Tap the thing into the wall by hitting the nut with it slightly off the
end of the bolt, so you don't damage the thread in case you need to take
the nut off. Why would you do that? If there's a small cavity in the
brick in the wrong place you might need to take the nut off and put some
washers under it.

If the whole bolt is turning when you try to tighten the nut it means
the anchor hasn't engaged. Put a blade under the nut and gently lever
the bolt forwards, and simultaneously turn the nut. The anchor should
bite and stop the bolt turning.

If the nut seems tight but the thing you're fixing doesn't seem to be
tightly held, undo the nut a few turns and hit the bolt with a hammer so
it relocates the sleeve. Then retighten.

Always drill deeper than the bolt length, and clean the hole out.

If the SDS drill bit is worn at the edges the hole will be a tiny bit
smaller that it should be. When you put the bolt in it will be very
tight. Don't hammer it in; that won't work. Get a new drill bit.

Try to look at an individual brick from above/below if you can find one
where that view is visible. Then you'll know where the cavities are.

Using long bolts and going right through the brick can/will cause the
brick to shell as the drill emerges. That can make a weak point and when
you tighten the bolt it can give way and collapse into a cavity.

I normally use 100mm or 125mm sleeve anchors with M8 thread. Drill is
10mm diameter. It's easier to get a good fix with a big diameter than
with a small one.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 08:34, Cynic wrote:
Now we have more detail it suggests various options
1. speak to the owner of the other side of the fence and access from that side

Or do the job when they are out, if they are being difficult. There's no
recourse for them even if they find out.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 13:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 09/10/2019 08:34, Cynic wrote:
Now we have more detail it suggests various options
1. speak to the owner of the other side of the fence and access from
that side

Or do the job when they are out, if they are being difficult. There's no
recourse for them even if they find out.

Bill

The arsewipe living next to me did that. After removing his half
of the semi-detached pair of garages and building an extension,
he fitted a huge pole with a massive freeview rig plus FM halo
aerial and sky/freesat dish on his new gable end.

It appeared when I was out and he could only have done it
by plonking his ladder on my garage roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 14:40, Andrew wrote:
On 09/10/2019 13:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 09/10/2019 08:34, Cynic wrote:
Now we have more detail it suggests various options
1. speak to the owner of the other side of the fence and access from
that side

Or do the job when they are out, if they are being difficult. There's
no recourse for them even if they find out.

Bill

The arsewipe living next to me did that. After removing his half
of the semi-detached pair of garages and building an extension,
he fitted a huge pole with a massive freeview rig plus FM halo
aerial and sky/freesat dish on his new gable end.

It appeared when I was out and he could only have done it
by plonking his ladder on my garage roof.

My parents' neighbours - the best neighbours you could have - had a car
port put up by another neighbour who was a builder. He put one of the
steel support poles *inside* my parents' steel gatepost (there was a
gate allowing access to and from each other's gardens) and ran the
downpipe from the gutter onto my parents' (at the time leaky) garage roof!

He refused to put it right, so we left the support as it was and re-did
the gutter so it emptied directly into ours. Our neighbours rapidly fell
out with the neighbour who'd built it for them.

SteveW