Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thunderbird, blocking cross posts

Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant cross
posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

(you can block specific groups or all cross posted messages)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks John. Very useful
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or you can I think use certain servers. The problem is that if, say, its
from ES and you are on one in the same chain, then it seems to allow them
into albersani, but you try to post a reply and it won't let you, witch
seems illogical to me. It should remove the crosspost as they come in from
the backbone, not just the user.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant cross
posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

(you can block specific groups or all cross posted messages)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2019 22:17, John Rumm wrote:
Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant cross
posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

Try it (yes, it works), but I did find that you have to drop and
resubscribe for Thunderbird to take notice of the filter, once created.
Though that could be my Thunderbird is borked.

(So I've just reset uk.d-i-y, and lost a good lot of past threads.. so
don't do the above lightly)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2019 17:33, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 05/10/2019 22:17, John Rumm wrote:
Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant
cross posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in
Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

Try it (yes, it works), but I did find that you have to drop and
resubscribe for Thunderbird to take notice of the filter, once created.
Though that could be my Thunderbird is borked.

It doesn't apply to existing posts on a newsgroup (at least for me) but
it does kill any new posts that trigger the kill rule.

(So I've just reset uk.d-i-y, and lost a good lot of past threads.. so
don't do the above lightly)

The other thing to watch is ticking "Match any of the following" is
essential.

Targetting User-agent as well decreases the risk of false positives.

I miss wild cards on Thunderbird filters

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2019 17:48, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/10/2019 17:33, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 05/10/2019 22:17, John Rumm wrote:
Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant
cross posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in
Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

Try it (yes, it works), but I did find that you have to drop and
resubscribe for Thunderbird to take notice of the filter, once
created. Though that could be my Thunderbird is borked.

It doesn't apply to existing posts on a newsgroup (at least for me) but
it does kill any new posts that trigger the kill rule.

Yup, if you want it to work on posts already downloaded then select the
filter in the list on the filters dialogue, and click the "Run Now"
button. That will make it go and re-check all the existing messages.
(note it may take a little time to run if you have large numbers of
messages cached).

(So I've just reset uk.d-i-y, and lost a good lot of past threads.. so
don't do the above lightly)

The other thing to watch is ticking "Match any of the following" is
essential.

Yup good point, I have changed the graphic in the article to highlight
those bits.

Targetting User-agent as well decreases the risk of false positives.

I miss wild cards on Thunderbird filters

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2019 17:33, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 05/10/2019 22:17, John Rumm wrote:
Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant
cross posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in
Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

Try it (yes, it works), but I did find that you have to drop and
resubscribe for Thunderbird to take notice of the filter, once created.
Though that could be my Thunderbird is borked.

(So I've just reset uk.d-i-y, and lost a good lot of past threads.. so
don't do the above lightly)

You should be able to specify how many past headers to download. Only
problem you might have is if your newsreader only has a limited archive
of them (although most seem to have years worth of text only groups
these days)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2019 22:17, John Rumm wrote:
Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant cross
posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

(you can block specific groups or all cross posted messages)

Thanks, handy.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2019 22:17, John Rumm wrote:
Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant cross
posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

(you can block specific groups or all cross posted messages)

Thanks John. I don't get much crap (I presume individual.net deletes it,
and filtering on a few strings dealt with much of what did get through)
but I hadn't realised that it was possible to kill all cross-posts -
that's very useful.
As a (relatively) sane person it's very hard to understand the mentality
of the morons who post rubbish and spoilers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 05/10/2019 22:17, John Rumm wrote:
Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant cross
posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts
(you can block specific groups or all cross posted messages)

Thanks John. I don't get much crap (I presume individual.net deletes it,

Yes it does with most of the real spam.

and filtering on a few strings dealt with much of what did get through)
but I hadn't realised that it was possible to kill all cross-posts -
that's very useful.

As a (relatively) sane person it's very hard to understand the mentality
of the morons who post rubbish and spoilers.

Its basically all they have in their pathetic excuses
for 'lives' with the worst of them like the Peeler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 05:37:18 +1100, AlexK, better known as cantankerous

Thanks John. I don't get much crap (I presume individual.net deletes it,

Yes it does with most of the real spam.

individual.net STILL needs to get rid of YOU, you senile trolling pest!

and filtering on a few strings dealt with much of what did get through)
but I hadn't realised that it was possible to kill all cross-posts -
that's very useful.

As a (relatively) sane person it's very hard to understand the mentality
of the morons who post rubbish and spoilers.

Its basically all they have in their pathetic excuses
for 'lives' with the worst of them like the Peeler.

Tough times here now for you 85-year-old trolling senile idiot, eh, senile
Rodent? And they won't ever get away for you again! NEVER ...EVER! LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant cross
posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

Just a word of warning, I wondered why I had kill-filed myself, it turns
out by following John's example too closely and blocking posts to
"uk.legal" you will also block "uk.legal.moderated" ... explains why I
though it'd gone a bit quiet over there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

blocking posts to
"uk.legal" you will also block "uk.legal.moderated"

I suppose blocking on "uk.legal," will catch some of them, without
blocking the moderated group.

Probably a better method would be to have a filter match on ".moderated"
in the group list and an action of "stop filter execution" that hits
before the one that blocks on your chosen list of kook groups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2019 14:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

blocking posts to "uk.legal" you will also block "uk.legal.moderated"

I suppose blocking on "uk.legal," will catch some of them, without
blocking the moderated group.

Probably a better method would be to have a filter match on ".moderated"
in the group list and an action of "stop filter execution" that hits
before the one that blocks on your chosen list of kook groups.

You could try adding to the filter a line with
newsgroups does not contain uk.legal.moderated

and change the condition to
match all of the following

--
Spike

The Government classes these latter groups as 'Irrelevant'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Probably a better method would be to have a filter match on ".moderated"
in the group list and an action of "stop filter execution" that hits
before the one that blocks on your chosen list of kook groups.

You could try adding to the filter a line with
newsgroups does not contain uk.legal.moderated

and change the condition to match all of the following

But then I can't have a list of several "bad" groups because the ALL
condition will never fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/16/2019 8:46 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
Spike wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Probably a better method would be to have a filter match on ".moderated"
in the group list and an action of "stop filter execution" that hits
before the one that blocks on your chosen list of kook groups.

You could try adding to the filter a line with
newsgroups does not contain uk.legal.moderated

and change the condition to match all of the following

But then I can't have a list of several "bad" groups because the ALL condition will never fire.

All this schite is way too ****ing complicated to **** with, you two assholes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2019 15:46, Andy Burns wrote:
Spike wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Probably a better method would be to have a filter match on ".moderated"
in the group list and an action of "stop filter execution" that hits
before the one that blocks on your chosen list of kook groups.

You could try adding to the filter a line with
newsgroups does not contain uk.legal.moderated

and change the condition to match all of the following

But then I can't have a list of several "bad" groups because the ALL
condition will never fire.

Ah, sorry, I thought you might be using the 'comma' method.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Probably a better method would be to have a filter match on ".moderated"
in the group list and an action of "stop filter execution" that hits
before the one that blocks on your chosen list of kook groups.

You could try adding to the filter a line with
newsgroups does not contain uk.legal.moderated

and change the condition to match all of the following

But then I can't have a list of several "bad" groups because the ALL
condition will never fire.

Ah, sorry, I thought you might be using the 'comma' method.

Give it up, you limey cocksuckers.
Americans win again.
LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2019 15:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

blocking posts to "uk.legal" you will also block "uk.legal.moderated"

I suppose blocking on "uk.legal," will catch some of them, without
blocking the moderated group.

You also need ", uk.legal" to handle both sequences.

Newsgroups contains ", " will kill every cross posting.

Probably a better method would be to have a filter match on ".moderated"
in the group list and an action of "stop filter execution" that hits
before the one that blocks on your chosen list of kook groups.

Killing on cross posted to "alt." by using a clause:

Newsgroups includes "alt." is pretty effective and safer.

There is very little of value in the "alt." hierarchy.

Again a slight risk of collateral damage if you are interested in eg.

soc.salt.treaty
rec.malt.beers

Fictitious groups invented for illustration but I bet there are false
positives on such a short target string in that long list of groups.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I suppose blocking on "uk.legal," will catch some of them, without
blocking the moderated group.

You also need ", uk.legal" to handle both sequences.

I deliberately only suggested trailing comma rather than leading comma
as well because that would block uk.legal.moderated again

Newsgroups contains ", " will kill every cross posting.

which isn't what I want, just groups that the trolls xpost to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I suppose blocking on "uk.legal," will catch some of them, without
blocking the moderated group.

You also need ", uk.legal" to handle both sequences.

I deliberately only suggested trailing comma rather than leading comma
as well because that would block uk.legal.moderated again

I don't see why, ulm doesn't accept any cross-posted messages.

Newsgroups contains ", " will kill every cross posting.

which isn't what I want, just groups that the trolls xpost to.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I deliberately only suggested trailing comma rather than leading comma
as well because that would block uk.legal.moderated again

I don't see why, ulm doesn't accept any cross-posted messages.

I realise that u.l.m doesn't accept cross-posted messages, but that
doesn't stop a thunderbird filter from working, the whole reason for me
mentioning it was that by attempting to filtering out posts cross-posted
to u.l, I ended up filtering out all posts (not cross-posts) to u.l.m

if I filter out "uk.legal" it also filters out uk.legal.moderated

If I filter out "uk.legal," it won't match uk.legal.moderated, but will
fail to filter out posts where uk.legal is at the end of the group list

If I filter out ",uk.legal" it will filter out both uk.legal and
uk.legal.moderated which are not at the start of the groups list.

Besides, the best approach is to use the "stop filter execution" method
on wanted groups.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2019 15:29, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Just in case anyone else is tired of wading through the irrelevant
cross posted stuff, here is a method for blocking cross posts in
Thunderbird:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

Just a word of warning, I wondered why I had kill-filed myself, it turns
out by following John's example too closely and blocking posts to
"uk.legal" you will also block "uk.legal.moderated"Â* ... explains why I
though it'd gone a bit quiet over there.

Yup, blocking "Newsgroups" "contains" will get any group where the name
given is a subset of the actual name.

There are a number of ways of getting round this, but one would be:

You can add another filter for "Newsgroups" "contains"
"uk.legal.moderated", and set the action to "Stop Filter Execution". Now
place that one higher up in the list of filters than the cross post one.
That will stop the cross post filter seeing the message.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2019 19:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I suppose blocking on "uk.legal," will catch some of them, without
blocking the moderated group.

You also need ", uk.legal" to handle both sequences.

I deliberately only suggested trailing comma rather than leading comma
as well because that would block uk.legal.moderated again

Newsgroups contains ", " will kill every cross posting.

which isn't what I want, just groups that the trolls xpost to.

In some respects you are better off going for a default "kill all"
approach, and then whitelisting the ones you are actually interested in.
Otherwise the trolls can just add a new random group from time to time
to pop back into the feed.

So a pair of filters, one that matches any of the groups you want, and
stops filter execution, followed by a separate "kill all cross posts
filter" will do that since it won't run on any message that matched the
whitelist one.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

Have you figured out or found a way to do wild card or regex matching in
Thunderbird. I tried a couple of add-ins but they never worked for me.

It is the one thing I really miss from the venerable Turnpike.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes
Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

I use Turnpike for news and T Bird for mail. I suppose you are all on 64
bit stuff.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

Regex, no (although to be fair, I have not actually tried since I can
usually get the result I need with the conventional filters and a bit of
lateral thought.

Wildcard matching you already have partially, since there is typically
an option to match on text with criteria like "begins with", "contains",
and "ends with".

(you can also get more combinatorial logic power if you are prepared to
craft the filter rules files yourself rather using just the GUI)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

The generic one that would be useful is contains ", " two or more times.
Since it would avoid having to manually white list genuine cross posts
that may be relevant in a couple of groups.

It is a common characteristic of troll fodder that it is typically cross
posted to 3 or more groups at a time. "alt." and ", alt." work for me.

But sometimes the odd one gets through.

(you can also get more combinatorial logic power if you are prepared to
craft the filter rules files yourself rather using just the GUI)

Oh yes. I am manually setting them up and adding custom fields to make
the routing to local folders for emails work as I want them to.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown