Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brazing stainless steel - what's easiest?

I need to mend a small piece of stainless steel, it's essentially a
small length of tube (125mm dia or so) with a flange that needs to be
re-affixed to a then plate. The original welds (not mine!) were
absolute rubbish and have come apart.

I don't have TIG (only MIG and stick) so I think brazing is probably
the best option. I have a gas torch which can get it hot enough, so
what's the best sort of brazing material to use?

The stainless is probably one or two mm thick and the joint needs to
be reasonably strong as it's holding chimney cowl to a chimney.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Oct 2019 13:31:24 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I need to mend a small piece of stainless steel, it's essentially a
small length of tube (125mm dia or so) with a flange that needs to be
re-affixed to a then plate. The original welds (not mine!) were
absolute rubbish and have come apart.

I don't have TIG (only MIG and stick) so I think brazing is probably the
best option. I have a gas torch which can get it hot enough, so what's
the best sort of brazing material to use?

Are you sure you can get it hot enough? What gas will you be using?

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message ...

I need to mend a small piece of stainless steel, it's essentially a
small length of tube (125mm dia or so) with a flange that needs to be
re-affixed to a then plate. The original welds (not mine!) were
absolute rubbish and have come apart.

I don't have TIG (only MIG and stick) so I think brazing is probably
the best option. I have a gas torch which can get it hot enough, so
what's the best sort of brazing material to use?

The stainless is probably one or two mm thick and the joint needs to
be reasonably strong as it's holding chimney cowl to a chimney.

Silver Solder - Easyflo is you still have some or the non-cadmium equivalent
such as Silverflo 55

Flux - you will need a flux such as Tenacity 5 which will still be active
with prolonged heating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 04 Oct 2019 13:31:24 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I need to mend a small piece of stainless steel, it's essentially a
small length of tube (125mm dia or so) with a flange that needs to be
re-affixed to a then plate. The original welds (not mine!) were
absolute rubbish and have come apart.

I don't have TIG (only MIG and stick) so I think brazing is probably the
best option. I have a gas torch which can get it hot enough, so what's
the best sort of brazing material to use?

Are you sure you can get it hot enough? What gas will you be using?

Butane (I think), the slightly hotter of Propane and Butane anyway.

However I'm moving towards Gasless MIG, I didn't realise you can get
gasless stainless steel MIG wire.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
I don't have TIG (only MIG and stick) so I think brazing is probably
the best option. I have a gas torch which can get it hot enough, so
what's the best sort of brazing material to use?

I've welded stainless with MIG wire from Halfords. Like much of my welding
not pretty, but strong enough for the job.

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 14:43:14 +0100, David wrote:

"Chris Green" wrote in message ...

I need to mend a small piece of stainless steel, it's essentially a
small length of tube (125mm dia or so) with a flange that needs to be
re-affixed to a then plate. The original welds (not mine!) were
absolute rubbish and have come apart.

I don't have TIG (only MIG and stick) so I think brazing is probably
the best option. I have a gas torch which can get it hot enough, so
what's the best sort of brazing material to use?

The stainless is probably one or two mm thick and the joint needs to
be reasonably strong as it's holding chimney cowl to a chimney.

Silver Solder - Easyflo is you still have some or the non-cadmium equivalent
such as Silverflo 55

Flux - you will need a flux such as Tenacity 5 which will still be active
with prolonged heating.

At work I used oxy-propane for silver soldering and brazing. The fitters
couldn't dp st. st. (it was an electronics factory - not much use for such
tings). I tried some sort of 'ordinary' flux (ICR which - 30 years...) and
of course it didn't work.
Tried cleaning the pieces, applying a paste of the flux, leaving for about
an hour and it worked! I never did tell them how I did it, so had to do all
the odd bits that came along.
I made a cage for a a 1.5 li bottle for my touring bike; it's still intact
after tens of thousands of miles use. The frame did have 3 bosses on it -
wouldn't have loaded 2 bosses like that, especially on 531.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
I need to mend a small piece of stainless steel, it's essentially a
small length of tube (125mm dia or so) with a flange that needs to be
re-affixed to a then plate. The original welds (not mine!) were

'thin plate'

absolute rubbish and have come apart.

I don't have TIG (only MIG and stick) so I think brazing is probably
the best option. I have a gas torch which can get it hot enough, so
what's the best sort of brazing material to use?

The stainless is probably one or two mm thick and the joint needs to
be reasonably strong as it's holding chimney cowl to a chimney.

https://bilba.com.au/products/gemini-680-weldall
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2019 16:01, Chris Green wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 04 Oct 2019 13:31:24 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I need to mend a small piece of stainless steel, it's essentially a
small length of tube (125mm dia or so) with a flange that needs to be
re-affixed to a then plate. The original welds (not mine!) were
absolute rubbish and have come apart.

I don't have TIG (only MIG and stick) so I think brazing is probably the
best option. I have a gas torch which can get it hot enough, so what's
the best sort of brazing material to use?

Are you sure you can get it hot enough? What gas will you be using?

Butane (I think), the slightly hotter of Propane and Butane anyway.

However I'm moving towards Gasless MIG, I didn't realise you can get
gasless stainless steel MIG wire.

Personally I would try brazing. I *thought* propane was hotter than
butane, anyway plenty hot enough for easyflo provided you can box it in
with firebrick (I use the vermiculite blocks used for some woodburner
stove linings). I don't think I have ever actually needed to braze
stainless, but I do have some aggressive fluxes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Would it not be easier to just get another bracket of some sort. Those
brazed joints fall to bits, I had a speaker stand made of brazed SS and
that fell to bits indoors!

Properly brazed SS doesn’t.

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I need to mend a small piece of stainless steel, it's essentially a
small length of tube (125mm dia or so) with a flange that needs to be
re-affixed to a then plate. The original welds (not mine!) were
absolute rubbish and have come apart.

I don't have TIG (only MIG and stick) so I think brazing is probably
the best option. I have a gas torch which can get it hot enough, so
what's the best sort of brazing material to use?

The stainless is probably one or two mm thick and the joint needs to
be reasonably strong as it's holding chimney cowl to a chimney.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 05:54:05 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Just what the **** is wrong with you, senile pest? tsk

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 October 2019 20:54:16 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

I have found that German silver (nickel silver) makes very nice
brazed joints on stainless steel. I used the white powder flux
that is supplied for dental orthodontic work. I suspect it is
borax based.
I tried oxy-acetylene, oxy-hydrogen, oxy-butane and oxy-propane
and found that oxy-propane gave good results without charring
the flux or unduly oxidising the stainless steel. I was working
on very small items.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2019 16:01:51, Chris Green wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 04 Oct 2019 13:31:24 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I need to mend a small piece of stainless steel, it's essentially a
small length of tube (125mm dia or so) with a flange that needs to be
re-affixed to a then plate. The original welds (not mine!) were
absolute rubbish and have come apart.

I don't have TIG (only MIG and stick) so I think brazing is probably the
best option. I have a gas torch which can get it hot enough, so what's
the best sort of brazing material to use?

Are you sure you can get it hot enough? What gas will you be using?

Butane (I think), the slightly hotter of Propane and Butane anyway.

However I'm moving towards Gasless MIG, I didn't realise you can get
gasless stainless steel MIG wire.

Propane flame temperature is 10C hotter than butane (in air).