Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Other electrical apprentices and my next door neighbour

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their
life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their
life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

A link on the same page as No 1 - a faulty floodlight on a Council pitch
that killed someone having already caused shocks to users over a month
before. Strangely the inquest recorded it as accidental rather than
culpable homicide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49893220

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their
life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

Why are you a magnet for people that stupid ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 06:47:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Why are you a magnet for people that stupid ?

Yeah, your own appearance proves it, senile Rodent!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 21:27:36 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

Very early onset dementia?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , ARW
wrote:

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in
their life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

I managed to do that while cutting a hedge. It was actually a blessing
in disguise as I put a connector on teh two ends and now the trimmer
has a short lead and we separate bundle of cable. Much easier to store.

There are many members in that particular club:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2019 23:03, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , ARW
wrote:

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in
their life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

I managed to do that while cutting a hedge. It was actually a blessing
in disguise as I put a connector on teh two ends and now the trimmer
has a short lead and we separate bundle of cable. Much easier to store.

I hope you have the gender of the connector right!

My neighbour did the same trick to his Flymo shortening the cable
somewhat and had made himself a Jesus lead with a plug on each end.

Hopefully even ARW's apprentices are not quite *that* thick.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

New power cord needed.

I'm surprised anyone would admit that they pressed the on switch.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their
life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe there needs to be something in between, something like stupidity of
users, after all if that happened to me I'd be at great pains to contact the
owners.
My cleaner who kept getting a shock of the vacuum, told me and I got it
tested. No issues, it was static, but best be safe than sorry for goodness
sake.
Brian

--
----- --

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their
life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

A link on the same page as No 1 - a faulty floodlight on a Council pitch
that killed someone having already caused shocks to users over a month
before. Strangely the inquest recorded it as accidental rather than
culpable homicide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49893220

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Hayter
writes
ARW wrote:

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their
life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

A link on the same page as No 1 - a faulty floodlight on a Council pitch
that killed someone having already caused shocks to users over a month
before. Strangely the inquest recorded it as accidental rather than
culpable homicide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49893220

I suspect would depend if the council could reasonably be expected to
have know about it. Would it come under any mandatory inspection regime?
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , ARW
wrote:

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in
their life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

I managed to do that while cutting a hedge. It was actually a blessing
in disguise as I put a connector on teh two ends and now the trimmer
has a short lead and we separate bundle of cable. Much easier to store.

There are many members in that particular club:-)

Include lawn mower leads and I suspect it might be close to universal.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Martin Brown
writes
wrote:

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he
cut through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in
their life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

I managed to do that while cutting a hedge. It was actually a
blessing
in disguise as I put a connector on teh two ends and now the trimmer
has a short lead and we separate bundle of cable. Much easier to store.

I hope you have the gender of the connector right!

When is someone going to invent a gender-fluid connector.

My neighbour did the same trick to his Flymo shortening the cable
somewhat and had made himself a Jesus lead with a plug on each end.

Hopefully even ARW's apprentices are not quite *that* thick.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

My neighbour did the same trick to his Flymo shortening the cable
somewhat and had made himself a Jesus lead with a plug on each end.

Point of information, yer honour: what's a Jesus lead?

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 17:26:41 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
My neighbour did the same trick to his Flymo shortening the cable
somewhat and had made himself a Jesus lead with a plug on each end.

Point of information, yer honour: what's a Jesus lead?

Also known as a widowmaker - a lead with a plug on each end.

When one plug is inserted into a live socket, the other plug has mains voltage on its exposed pins.

This causes you to exclaim "Jesus!" before going to meet him.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

Point of information, yer honour: what's a Jesus lead?

https://amazon.com/jesus-lead-suicide-cable/dp/B0756BRXG5

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Martin Brown
writes
wrote:

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their
life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."
I managed to do that while cutting a hedge. It was actually a blessing
in disguise as I put a connector on teh two ends and now the trimmer
has a short lead and we separate bundle of cable. Much easier to store.

I hope you have the gender of the connector right!

When is someone going to invent a gender-fluid connector.

Been done but they arent cheap.

My neighbour did the same trick to his Flymo shortening the cable somewhat
and had made himself a Jesus lead with a plug on each end.

Hopefully even ARW's apprentices are not quite *that* thick.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:05 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost an HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 04:05:52 +1000, AlexK, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile trolling asshole's troll****

04:05??? And you've been up and trolling for OVER TWO HOURS, already ...yet
AGAIN!!!!!!! ROTFLOL

So what was your psychiatrists official diagnosis of your mental condition,
senile troll?

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/10/2019 16:09, bert wrote:
In article , Roger Hayter
writes
ARW wrote:

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut
through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their
life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was
wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

A link on the same page as No 1 - a faulty floodlight on a Council pitch
that killed someone having already caused shocks to users over a month
before.Â* Strangely the inquest recorded it as accidental rather than
culpable homicide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49893220

I suspect would depend if the council could reasonably be expected to
have know about it. Would it come under any mandatory inspection regime?

I would have expected an EICR every 5 years.

But from the article there were two previous reported shocks and
something should have been done immediately after the first shock.

Last year I was called out to a Doctors Surgery after a member of staff
reported a mild shock from their laptop. There was in fact nothing wrong
with the laptop (it PAT tested OK) all she had felt was a little charge
from the SMPS at a guess or a bit of static from something else.

The point is we were called out within the hour.

The only time I can remember a faster call out was when a ring circuit
at SITA went down and the vending machines stopped working:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 03/10/2019 16:09, bert wrote:
In article , Roger Hayter
writes
ARW wrote:

[...]

But you wouldn't have PAT tested the laptop it runs on dc from an external
psu. i've even found PAT sticker on a battery operated radio microphone !

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

Trust me they are.

Me "Open the gate"
**** "It's got a padlock on it"
Me "The padlock is not secured to anything, just open the gate"
**** "The gate will not move"
Me "Just ****ing slide it open and stop pushing and pulling on it"
**** "Which way do I slide it"

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/10/2019 17:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Another John wrote:

Point of information, yer honour: what's a Jesus lead?

https://amazon.com/jesus-lead-suicide-cable/dp/B0756BRXG5

TBH it does warn you:-)

"Be carefully use it. Be complete the connection of power cord before
start your generator to support AC power."

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2019 16:11, bert wrote:
In article , Martin Brown
writes
wrote:

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49884377

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he
cutÂ* through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in
their life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen
socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that
was wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."
Â*I managed to do that while cutting a hedge. It was actually a blessing
in disguise as I put a connector on teh two ends and now the trimmer
has a short lead and we separate bundle of cable. Much easier to store.

I hope you have the gender of the connector right!

When is someone going to invent a gender-fluid connector.

Anderson SB175 ?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 16:16:26 UTC+1, bert wrote:
In article , Martin Brown
writes

I hope you have the gender of the connector right!

When is someone going to invent a gender-fluid connector.

Hermaphrodite connectors have been around a while.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Oct 2019 17:24:10 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 16:16:26 UTC+1, bert wrote:
In article , Martin Brown
writes

I hope you have the gender of the connector right!

When is someone going to invent a gender-fluid connector.

Hermaphrodite connectors have been around a while.

Indeed:

https://www.yourdictionary.com/token-ring

Scroll down just a bit...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 October 2019 08:10:37 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
Hermaphrodite connectors have been around a while.

Indeed:
https://www.yourdictionary.com/token-ring
Scroll down just a bit...

IBM Type 1 look safer for mains than most things that come out of NEMA.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 17:31:28 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 3 October 2019 17:26:41 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
My neighbour did the same trick to his Flymo shortening the cable
somewhat and had made himself a Jesus lead with a plug on each end.

Point of information, yer honour: what's a Jesus lead?

Also known as a widowmaker - a lead with a plug on each end.

When one plug is inserted into a live socket, the other plug has mains voltage on its exposed pins.

This causes you to exclaim "Jesus!" before going to meet him.

Very handy if you want to run your house off a portable generator.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 20:30:48 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 03/10/2019 16:09, bert wrote:
In article , Roger Hayter
writes
ARW wrote:

[...]

Our 24V soldering irons were all PAT tested. Two failed because the Earth lead was showing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

He would have no idea what vertically meant.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Another John wrote:

Point of information, yer honour: what's a Jesus lead?

https://amazon.com/jesus-lead-suicide-cable/dp/B0756BRXG5

Who put that in the URL?

https://www.amazon.com/jesus-lead-su.../dp/B0756BRXG5

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2019 17:31, Jim K... wrote:
Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Another John wrote:

Point of information, yer honour: what's a Jesus lead?

https://amazon.com/jesus-lead-suicide-cable/dp/B0756BRXG5

Who put that in the URL?

https://www.amazon.com/jesus-lead-su.../dp/B0756BRXG5

It's ok, the description says 'Be carefully use it',
'Be complete the connection of power cord before start your generator to
support AC power. '

That's reassuring.

OT Apprentices and wages ARW UK diy 44 March 11th 15 07:44 AM
And now we have foreign exchange apprentices. ARW UK diy 21 December 2nd 14 11:17 PM
OT The lottery and apprentices ARW UK diy 31 July 25th 14 08:58 PM
Apprentices and charity work ARW UK diy 270 September 14th 13 11:38 PM
Putting two exposed work electrical boxes next to each other. [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 12th 05 05:42 AM