Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car wiper blade arm hard to remove

The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel. Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel. Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

They are generally on a taper. And difficult to get a straight pull with
your fingers. Try levering either side with a pair of screwdrivers.
Copper grease is generally the best thing to prevent seizing.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 15:10:41 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel. Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

Are you talking about once off? The problem is that they need to be
held on there firmly as any small movement that starts will very
quickly get worse. I guess you could use a drop of Copper grease to
stop the water getting in but I'm not sure if it would be recommended.
It also might mean you could fit the arm tighter as the same torque
setting on the retaining nut might result in a tighter fit on any
taper and so might make it even more difficult to remove in time?

I think I have used Copper grease but only in instances when it was
very obvious that there was a reasonably sized spline and both faces
were in good condition.

If not, something like Plus Gas would help you remove it but you may
also need a puller.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 15:10:41 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel. Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

It would be wise to grease the spindle after you've got the thing off for
future ease of removal. Before that it's not going to make the slightest
difference. Neither will all the releasing agents under the sun.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 14:49:48 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

snip

It would be wise to grease the spindle after you've got the thing off for
future ease of removal.

Not always.

Before that it's not going to make the slightest
difference.

Duh.

Neither will all the releasing agents under the sun.

It can be used in the dark as well and whilst no release agent is
going to make such a thing just fall off, it *WILL* make a difference
re how easy it is to pull off (even with a puller).

You could ask me how I know, if you didn't have all the answers
already ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel. Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

They are generally on a taper. And difficult to get a straight pull with
your fingers. Try levering either side with a pair of screwdrivers.
Copper grease is generally the best thing to prevent seizing.

Copper grease is a bad choice for aluminium though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel. Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it
make much difference waht grease I used?

Extractors are available. Using too much muscle power could **** the motor
up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 20:10:29 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Extractors are available. Using too much muscle power could **** the
motor up.

They're not directly driven so I can't see any harm coming to the motor
at all. Even the linkages should be safe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2019 15:10, Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel.Â* Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

Unless it is positioned wrongly, normally the only time you have to
remove them is if you are replacing the motor (or possibly getting
access to something behind it). I'd always change blades "on the car".

But yes, penetrating oil such as Plus Gas or WD40 should help, also a
puller. Then wire brush to remove corrosion products. Petroleum jelly
AKA vaseline is a neutral and reasonably water resistant grease. You are
sure it is not held on by a nut under a flip-up cap of course?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2019 20:55, newshound wrote:
On 30/09/2019 15:10, Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel.Â* Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it
make much difference waht grease I used?

Unless it is positioned wrongly, normally the only time you have to
remove them is if you are replacing the motor (or possibly getting
access to something behind it). I'd always change blades "on the car".

I've replaced a couple over the years - both times because the spring
has weakened and so there has been a lack of pressure of the blade on
the screen.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2019 21:09, Steve Walker wrote:
On 30/09/2019 20:55, newshound wrote:
On 30/09/2019 15:10, Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel.Â* Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it
make much difference waht grease I used?

Unless it is positioned wrongly, normally the only time you have to
remove them is if you are replacing the motor (or possibly getting
access to something behind it). I'd always change blades "on the car".

I've replaced a couple over the years - both times because the spring
has weakened and so there has been a lack of pressure of the blade on
the screen.

SteveW

Fair point; I think I replaced one many years ago (fatigue crack in
spring hook).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
They are generally on a taper. And difficult to get a straight pull with
your fingers. Try levering either side with a pair of screwdrivers.
Copper grease is generally the best thing to prevent seizing.

Copper grease is a bad choice for aluminium though.

Really? It's the standard choice for wheels.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2019 20:55, newshound wrote:
On 30/09/2019 15:10, Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel.Â* Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it
make much difference waht grease I used?

Unless it is positioned wrongly, normally the only time you have to
remove them is if you are replacing the motor (or possibly getting
access to something behind it). I'd always change blades "on the car".

But yes, penetrating oil such as Plus Gas or WD40 should help, also a
puller. Then wire brush to remove corrosion products. Petroleum jelly
AKA vaseline is a neutral and reasonably water resistant grease. You are
sure it is not held on by a nut under a flip-up cap of course?

I had to pull a pair to replace part of the linkage that failed.

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What you need is to borrow a Baboon from a safari park, they seem to have no
problems with this.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Michael Chare" wrote in message
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel. Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

What you need is to borrow a Baboon from a safari park, they seem to have
no problems with this.

They don’t take them off the motor shaft, they just break them off, stupid.

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel. Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 20:33:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

They don¢t take them off the motor shaft, they just break them off, stupid.

You STILL keep hoping you might win this game, my senile punching bag? KEEP
hoping! LMAO
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
They are generally on a taper. And difficult to get a straight pull with
your fingers. Try levering either side with a pair of screwdrivers.
Copper grease is generally the best thing to prevent seizing.

Copper grease is a bad choice for aluminium though.

Really? It's the standard choice for wheels.

From Pistonheads.com :-

mikecassie

454 posts

105 months

[report]
[news]
Thursday 24th February 2011
quotequote all
I wouldn't use copper grease when in contact with aluminuim components.
I work in the offshore industry where a lot of aluminuim is used and we
use a different type of grease, apparently the copper accelerates the
corrosion of aluminuim when in contact with salt water. I'm not an
engineer or chemist, but have had it drilled into me for many years not
to do that, so I use the same principal when working on my car. No
copper grease near the Alloy wheels etc. I managed to source high temp
grease without copper to use on the pads etc when I had alloy calipers.
It seems to be as good as copper grease.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2019 20:55, newshound wrote:
On 30/09/2019 15:10, Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel.Â* Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it
make much difference waht grease I used?

Unless it is positioned wrongly, normally the only time you have to
remove them is if you are replacing the motor (or possibly getting
access to something behind it). I'd always change blades "on the car".

Depends on vehicle. On my current car has to be done to replace
windscreen. On the previous version of the car it was also needed to
replace battery. I did not have a problem removing the wiper blades on
the previous model.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2019 15:10, Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel.Â* Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

Use copperease/copaslip. You can also buy a puller tool to remove them,
but if you copper-grease them before refitting you'll not need it next time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L38BE0M/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2019 20:49, Chris wrote:
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 20:10:29 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Extractors are available. Using too much muscle power could **** the
motor up.

They're not directly driven so I can't see any harm coming to the motor
at all. Even the linkages should be safe.

The biggest danger is cracking the screen or nearby plastic if you try
forcing it and slip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 13:35:57 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

snip

I managed to source high temp
grease without copper to use on the pads etc when I had alloy calipers.
It seems to be as good as copper grease.

I have some of that and I think it's 'ceramic' or somesuch?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Copper grease is a bad choice for aluminium though.

Really? It's the standard choice for wheels.

From Pistonheads.com :-

mikecassie

454 posts

105 months

[report]
[news]
Thursday 24th February 2011
quotequote all
I wouldn't use copper grease when in contact with aluminuim components.
I work in the offshore industry where a lot of aluminuim is used and we
use a different type of grease, apparently the copper accelerates the
corrosion of aluminuim when in contact with salt water. I'm not an
engineer or chemist, but have had it drilled into me for many years not
to do that, so I use the same principal when working on my car. No
copper grease near the Alloy wheels etc. I managed to source high temp
grease without copper to use on the pads etc when I had alloy calipers.
It seems to be as good as copper grease.

Think that chap shouldn't be allowed near a car.

Any grease used on brake pads shouldn't get near the calliper. It goes
between the piston and pad, and only the merest of smears. Neither of
which is ally. Just the calliper body.

If a grease is required for the calliper mechanism and may come into
contact with the body, you used the correct stuff for that job.

I've used copper grease between wheels and hubs for many a year. If it
caused any problems, would have been rather obvious.

BTW, pure aluminium won't last 5 minutes in salt water anyway.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2019 13:58, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 30/09/2019 15:10, Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel.Â* Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it
make much difference waht grease I used?

Use copperease/copaslip. You can also buy a puller tool to remove them,
but if you copper-grease them before refitting you'll not need it next
time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L38BE0M/

DO NOT USE COPPER SLIP. Use molyslip

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2019 13:58, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 30/09/2019 15:10, Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel.Â* Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it
make much difference waht grease I used?

Use copperease/copaslip. You can also buy a puller tool to remove
them, but if you copper-grease them before refitting you'll not need
it next time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L38BE0M/

DO NOT USE COPPER SLIP. Use molyslip

*shrug* I've read the warnings that it worsens galvanic corrosion. I've
also recently removed the wipers on a 20 year old car which were a
******* to get off 15 years ago, but came off by hand after using copper
grease that time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Bartram wrote:
On 01/10/2019 13:58, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 30/09/2019 15:10, Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel. Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it
make much difference waht grease I used?

Use copperease/copaslip. You can also buy a puller tool to remove
them, but if you copper-grease them before refitting you'll not need
it next time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L38BE0M/

DO NOT USE COPPER SLIP. Use molyslip

*shrug* I've read the warnings that it worsens galvanic corrosion. I've
also recently removed the wipers on a 20 year old car which were a
******* to get off 15 years ago, but came off by hand after using copper
grease that time.

Lots of theoritians on here. With rather obviously zero practical
experience.

Oh - the chances of a wiper arm being aluminium remote - except for
perhaps some exotics. The base will be pot metal.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2019 08:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
What you need is to borrow a Baboon from a safari park, they seem to have no
problems with this.
Brian

The trouble is that they remove the washer jets from the bonnet using
their teeth as well.

I've had that done twice now!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Bartram wrote:
[...]

The spindle may well be an alloy casting.

I have never had any problem with copper-slip and alloys though. Indeed,
I have used it in a number of places where I had difficulty removing an
item, but have had no difficulty there after using it.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel.Â* Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

I have a threaded balljoint/track rod end puller that does this job on
cars we've had. Oddly, it bent when I tried to use it on an actual
balljoint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 22:46:33 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

The spindle may well be an alloy casting.

More likely to be steel though. The body of the arm is more likely to
be 'pot-metal'.

I have never had any problem with copper-slip and alloys though. Indeed,
I have used it in a number of places where I had difficulty removing an
item, but have had no difficulty there after using it.

Same here (for lack of anything more appropriate at the time) but one
place I might be slightly selective where I might use something like
CoppaSlip is a wiper arm splines.

Specifically, if the arm has ever slipped before or the splines are
*very* fine then I might err on making sure it *doesn't* slip over
being able to get it off easily next time (which might be never).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 10:44:37 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel.* Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

I have a threaded balljoint/track rod end puller that does this job on
cars we've had. Oddly, it bent when I tried to use it on an actual
balljoint.

Tighten and tap (on a track rod type balljoint, not a wiper arm,
although you can if you are careful). ;-)

I can remember years ago we had a puncture on a boat trailer tyre and
Dad got me to get the car scissor jack out to lift / hold it up.

I started to apply some pressure but felt it was 'wrong', the scissors
were too flat and it wasn't starting to open so I stopped and
expressed my reservations re going any further. Dad took over, carried
on turning when we heard a loud 'bang' from the welds on the jack and
that was now broken. To be fair to him, I was just a lad but he was
more of a carpenter and I probably had more 'mechanical sympathy',
even then. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Oh - the chances of a wiper arm being aluminium remote - except for
perhaps some exotics. The base will be pot metal.

The spindle may well be an alloy casting.

Again, normally pot metal, if a casting. But to remove the arm you'd lever
against the nut holding it in place. Protect if needed with some thin
steel, etc.

I have never had any problem with copper-slip and alloys though. Indeed,
I have used it in a number of places where I had difficulty removing an
item, but have had no difficulty there after using it.

Quite. I can only conclude many on here simply Google and never actually
do anything.

--
*The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
The wiper blade arm on my car is very hard to remove from the motor
spindle, possibly because that part of the arm is aluminium and the
spindle is steel. Would greasing the spindle be wise and would it make
much difference waht grease I used?

I have a threaded balljoint/track rod end puller that does this job on
cars we've had. Oddly, it bent when I tried to use it on an actual
balljoint.

Often happens with pullers. Best way is usually to tighten them only so
far, apply heat, and whack them with a hammer.

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 22:46:33 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

The spindle may well be an alloy casting.

More likely to be steel though. The body of the arm is more likely to
be 'pot-metal'.

Sorry - I sort of thought it referred to the spindle body. The actual
spindle is steel on every one I've seen. The taper spline has to be harder
than the arm body it fits to. Fitting a new arm cuts a spline into it when
you tighten it.

I have never had any problem with copper-slip and alloys though. Indeed,
I have used it in a number of places where I had difficulty removing an
item, but have had no difficulty there after using it.

Same here (for lack of anything more appropriate at the time) but one
place I might be slightly selective where I might use something like
CoppaSlip is a wiper arm splines.

Specifically, if the arm has ever slipped before or the splines are
*very* fine then I might err on making sure it *doesn't* slip over
being able to get it off easily next time (which might be never).

Older cars used to have clip on arms. Usually a parallel spline with a
matching one in the arm. So you could only adjust by the width of the
spline.

Most of the modern ones I've seen use a taper spline. Which sort of cuts
into the arm. Allowing fine adjustment - at least when the arm is new.

I've played with wipers perhaps more than most. The old Rover had a Lucas
motor which was marginal, torque wise, even when new. So I've fitted a
Valeo motor which is a similar physical size, but a ceramic magnet so lots
more torque.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *