Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's a ballpark price for replacing a small combi?

Our rented flat in North London needs its gas combi boiler replaced.
It's a two bedroom duplex flat so not tiny but not enormous.

What sort of price should one expect for replacing the boiler?
(rememeber it's in London so will be more than most places I guess).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Chris Green formulated :
Our rented flat in North London needs its gas combi boiler replaced.
It's a two bedroom duplex flat so not tiny but not enormous.

What sort of price should one expect for replacing the boiler?
(rememeber it's in London so will be more than most places I guess).

I would guess at £1800 to £2200.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
It happens that Chris Green formulated :
Our rented flat in North London needs its gas combi boiler replaced.
It's a two bedroom duplex flat so not tiny but not enormous.

What sort of price should one expect for replacing the boiler?
(rememeber it's in London so will be more than most places I guess).

I would guess at £1800 to £2200.

I've just discovered the existing (failed) boiler is a Volkera Compact
25 so that tells us the size at least.

What's a recommended replacement?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 16:03:06 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
I've just discovered the existing (failed) boiler is a Vo[l]kera Compact
25 so that tells us the size at least.
What's a recommended replacement?

I don't know if the 25A would be a direct replacement.

https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/Voker...62844/p/452673

In a flat, flueing may be more awkward to change so anything that will fit the same flue hole (or for elevated locations have a push-from-inside flue terminal) may be easier.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 16:03:06 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
I've just discovered the existing (failed) boiler is a Vo[l]kera Compact
25 so that tells us the size at least.
What's a recommended replacement?

I don't know if the 25A would be a direct replacement.

https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/Voker...62844/p/452673

In a flat, flueing may be more awkward to change so anything that will
fit the same flue hole (or for elevated locations have a push-from-inside
flue terminal) may be easier.

Thanks Owain, I'm *really* not at all knowledgeable about boilers and
such. Looking at the picture from the above link it does look
similar.

Given that the boiler is about £500, does a total of £2000 for
installing it in place of an existing boiler seem reasonable?

Also are Vokera any good?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 20:33:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
Also are Vokera any good?

Depends on the range and supplier / fitter, but the Vokera Vision boilers have a 7 year warranty from Mr Central Heating subject to conditions.

I think that's about as good as it gets, unless you can find something with a 10 year g'tee.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 20:33:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
Given that the boiler is about £500, does a total of £2000 for
installing it in place of an existing boiler seem reasonable?

I'd expect it to be a /bit/ less than that if it's a straight swap and the condensate drain, controls, etc are all already in place, and external ladder work isn't needed.

But then London prices ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

A direct replacement doesn't look too difficult judging by the
installation manual. Has anyone tried it, and left the commissioning and
gas connection to somebody qualified?

I fitted one from scratch, on the promise that a local fitter would
commission it. But, he was always too busy, and it was getting cold.

In the end, I connected it up and it ran okay. Next step, I had a
standard landlord's gas safety check done. That checks for leaks and CO,
but not efficiency.

That boiler (Vaillant) ran beautifully for the next ten years, until we
replaced it during a major conversion.

And how much might the commissioning be?

Not enough to interest the fitter, apparently. I guess he's used to
fitting a £500 boiler and charging £2k+ for the job. I suppose he didn't
have the cheek to charge the £1k super-profit just for commissioning, so
felt aggrieved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Given that the boiler is about £500, does a total of £2000 for
installing it in place of an existing boiler seem reasonable?

Given it's about a day's work for a man and boy, what do you think?

Do you earn £1000+ a day?

--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
A direct replacement doesn't look too difficult judging by the
installation manual. Has anyone tried it, and left the commissioning and
gas connection to somebody qualified?

I changed mine. From an old BE floor stander to a wall mounted system unit.
Assuming you have decent plumbing skills, a simple enough job. And
certainly well worth it cost wise. Not only do you save on the labour
costs, but on the cost of the boiler too, since you can shop around.

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*