DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Wind turbines Cheering news forTurNiP (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/640203-ot-wind-turbines-cheering-news-forturnip.html)

harry September 24th 19 07:11 PM

OT Wind turbines Cheering news forTurNiP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49804455

newshound September 24th 19 09:03 PM

On 24/09/2019 19:11, harry wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49804455

One interesting observation from the reports on the recent power cut was
just how much area the Hornsey windfarm covers. OK, it's around a GW so
quite a useful amount of generation. But what can we get if we cover the
North Sea and the Irish Sea with them?

Cynic[_2_] September 24th 19 09:38 PM

OT Wind turbines Cheering news forTurNiP

On 24/09/2019 19:11, harry wrote:Â*
Â*https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49804455Â*
Â*

One interesting observation from the reports on the recent power cut wasÂ*
just how much area the Hornsey windfarm covers. OK, it's around a GW soÂ*
quite a useful amount of generation. But what can we get if we cover theÂ*
North Sea and the Irish Sea with them?Â*

Massive electricity costs?

David September 24th 19 10:15 PM

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 21:03:18 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 24/09/2019 19:11, harry wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49804455

One interesting observation from the reports on the recent power cut was
just how much area the Hornsey windfarm covers. OK, it's around a GW so
quite a useful amount of generation. But what can we get if we cover the
North Sea and the Irish Sea with them?

Massive over capacity in medium wind, a lot of breakages (MTBF for large
numbers) in high winds and bugger all when the wind drops.

Plus a lot of up front investment and expensive ongoing maintenance.

Plus they won't provide base load.

Cheers

Dave R

---

newshound September 25th 19 12:34 AM

On 24/09/2019 21:38, Cynic wrote:
On 24/09/2019 19:11, harry wrote:
Â*https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49804455

One interesting observation from the reports on the recent power cut was
just how much area the Hornsey windfarm covers. OK, it's around a GW so
quite a useful amount of generation. But what can we get if we cover the
North Sea and the Irish Sea with them?

Massive electricity costs?

I'm prepared to believe that offshore wind might get down towards
nuclear, even allowing for load factor, on the decades timescale. I'd
still go for fracking, myself, even with a carbon tax. I don't
personally hold much hope for swinging back to nuclear much before the
end of the century, although I would like to be proved wrong. All
depends on China really.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] September 25th 19 06:54 AM

On 24/09/2019 21:03, newshound wrote:
On 24/09/2019 19:11, harry wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49804455

One interesting observation from the reports on the recent power cut was
just how much area the Hornsey windfarm covers. OK, it's around a GW so
quite a useful amount of generation. But what can we get if we cover the
North Sea and the Irish Sea with them?

higher electricity bills and more powercuts and the same emissions as now

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] September 25th 19 07:00 AM

On 25/09/2019 00:34, newshound wrote:
On 24/09/2019 21:38, Cynic wrote:
On 24/09/2019 19:11, harry wrote:
Â*Â*https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49804455

One interesting observation from the reports on the recent power cut was
just how much area the Hornsey windfarm covers. OK, it's around a GW so
quite a useful amount of generation. But what can we get if we cover the
North Sea and the Irish Sea with them?

Massive electricity costs?

I'm prepared to believe that offshore wind might get down towards
nuclear, even allowing for load factor, on the decades timescale.

Depndd how expensivce they choose to make nuclear BUT headline costs are
not the issue. UYou dont pay headline costs on your bills, you pay total
costs - grid upgrades to handle peak fluctuating loads, OCGT sets to act
as emergency backup on windless says, battery storage for the same
reasons...and top add grid stability..
Holistic cost of wind is about twice that of Hinkley

I'd
still go for fracking, myself, even with a carbon tax. I don't
personally hold much hope for swinging back to nuclear much before the
end of the century, although I would like to be proved wrong. All
depends on China really.

Oh they will have to swing back to nuclear - if civilisation is to
contiunue,. which it may not.

25% of EU nations electricity is nuclear?

Brian Gaff September 25th 19 07:51 AM

OT Wind turbines Cheering news forTurNiP

A lot of marine collisions?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
o.uk...

dennis@home[_6_] September 25th 19 10:22 AM

OT Wind turbines Cheering news forTurNiP

On 25/09/2019 07:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
A lot of marine collisions?
Brian

A lot of deaths amongst maintenance crews.

Pancho September 25th 19 03:50 PM

OT Wind turbines Cheering news forTurNiP

On 25/09/2019 00:34, newshound wrote:
On 24/09/2019 21:38, Cynic wrote:
On 24/09/2019 19:11, harry wrote:
Â*Â*https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49804455

One interesting observation from the reports on the recent power cut was
just how much area the Hornsey windfarm covers. OK, it's around a GW so
quite a useful amount of generation. But what can we get if we cover the
North Sea and the Irish Sea with them?

Massive electricity costs?

I'm prepared to believe that offshore wind might get down towards
nuclear, even allowing for load factor, on the decades timescale. I'd
still go for fracking, myself, even with a carbon tax. I don't
personally hold much hope for swinging back to nuclear much before the
end of the century, although I would like to be proved wrong. All
depends on China really.

Well have fusion by then, I think I heard someone say that we'll have it
within 30 years :o)