Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why install a septic tank with main drainage available?

Near here (Aberdeenshire), a fairly rough 1930s bungalow sold a while
ago, and was promptly demolished, to be replaced by a new detached
house. Not a rural site as such, although a rural location, but a road
of similar houses, mains drains and electricity.

Following completion of the house, a large hole was dug in the rear
garden, with a huge digger. Somewhere between 2x3 to 3x4 meters (I'm
nosing through the fence). The spoil was then sieved using the digger
bucket, the hole lined with plastic tarpaulins, and the stones from the
sieving put in the bottom. I missed what happened next, but the huge
pile of sieved spoil has gone, as has the hole BUT there are two
corrugated pipes protruding from the ex hole, with manhole type lids.
There was a trench from the house to the hole. I cannot think what
could be in the hole other than a septic tank, but why install a septic
tank with mains drainage outside, or what else could it be? Not enough
time elapsed to build a nuclear bunker!

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

[...]

some suggestions

The stones were put back and some concrete laid and a buried LPG tank
installed while you were not there.

Rainwater storage and the trench is for a pipe to carry water from the
gutters.

How high is the water table? It there is now a pit full of stones like an
oversize soak away that will fill from the groundwater could it be a source
for a heatpump rather than laying out yards of pipe or drilling a borehole.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 11:38, Graeme wrote:

Near here (Aberdeenshire), a fairly rough 1930s bungalow sold a while
ago, and was promptly demolished, to be replaced by a new detached
house.Â* Not a rural site as such, although a rural location, but a road
of similar houses, mains drains and electricity.

Following completion of the house, a large hole was dug in the rear
garden, with a huge digger.Â* Somewhere between 2x3 to 3x4 meters (I'm
nosing through the fence).Â* The spoil was then sieved using the digger
bucket, the hole lined with plastic tarpaulins, and the stones from the
sieving put in the bottom.Â* I missed what happened next, but the huge
pile of sieved spoil has gone, as has the hole BUT there are two
corrugated pipes protruding from the ex hole, with manhole type lids.
There was a trench from the house to the hole.Â* I cannot think what
could be in the hole other than a septic tank, but why install a septic
tank with mains drainage outside, or what else could it be?Â* Not enough
time elapsed to build a nuclear bunker!

Could it be for a ground source heat pump? A complete guess, I know
little of these.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 22 September 2019 11:38:31 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
Near here (Aberdeenshire), ... why install a septic
tank with mains drainage outside,

No mains drainage = cheaper water/sewerage bill.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 11:38, Graeme wrote:ange

[...]

if it is a Klargester type septic tank and it sounds like it they won't
be allowed to use it if mains foul drainage is close bye .....strange
....must be something else......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It's possible that the bungalow run-off went into the local sewer rather
than a storm drain.

The new building probably required a new soakaway to be built. Certainly
rules don't permit surface water to enter the sewer system unless the
soil is impervious or there is a high water table.

I thought septic tanks required a more distributed outflow? But given
you never saw a tank, or a hole being dug for one suggests this was done
to make a soakaway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

[...]

Is it not more likely to just be a large soakaway? New house builds
probably arent allowed to put rainwater into the sewers (which the old
house almost certainly did).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 13:21, Fredxx wrote:
On 22/09/2019 11:38, Graeme wrote:

Near here (Aberdeenshire), a fairly rough 1930s bungalow sold a while
ago, and was promptly demolished, to be replaced by a new detached
house.Â* Not a rural site as such, although a rural location, but a
road of similar houses, mains drains and electricity.

Following completion of the house, a large hole was dug in the rear
garden, with a huge digger.Â* Somewhere between 2x3 to 3x4 meters (I'm
nosing through the fence).Â* The spoil was then sieved using the digger
bucket, the hole lined with plastic tarpaulins, and the stones from
the sieving put in the bottom.Â* I missed what happened next, but the
huge pile of sieved spoil has gone, as has the hole BUT there are two
corrugated pipes protruding from the ex hole, with manhole type lids.
There was a trench from the house to the hole.Â* I cannot think what
could be in the hole other than a septic tank, but why install a
septic tank with mains drainage outside, or what else could it be?
Not enough time elapsed to build a nuclear bunker!

It's possible that the bungalow run-off went into the local sewer rather
than a storm drain.

The new building probably required a new soakaway to be built. Certainly
rules don't permit surface water to enter the sewer system unless the
soil is impervious or there is a high water table.

I thought septic tanks required a more distributed outflow? But given
you never saw a tank, or a hole being dug for one suggests this was done
to make a soakaway.

more a herringbone outfall is required for a septic tank.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 13:35, Tim+ wrote:
Graeme wrote:

[...]

could be suds attenuation of storm water ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes

https://tinyurl.com/y5ypz7dx

Looking at the link supplied by Chris, the bits sticking out of the
ground look exactly like the illustration of a Klargester Gamma (top
row, 4th from right) although there are two of them, both black.

I don't walk the dog the same walk every day, so missed the bit between
a large hole and all covered, but I seriously doubt there was time for a
drainage field to be constructed, and not enough space anyway. I think
a soakaway for rainwater sounds promising, and will look for other clues
when next going past - but would a soakaway have those two corrugated
bits above ground level?

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 16:03, Graeme wrote:
In message , Chris Hogg
writes

https://tinyurl.com/y5ypz7dx

Looking at the link supplied by Chris, the bits sticking out of the
ground look exactly like the illustration of a Klargester Gamma (top
row, 4th from right) although there are two of them, both black.

I don't walk the dog the same walk every day, so missed the bit between
a large hole and all covered, but I seriously doubt there was time for a
drainage field to be constructed, and not enough space anyway.Â* I think
a soakaway for rainwater sounds promising, and will look for other clues
when next going past - but would a soakaway have those two corrugated
bits above ground level?

Could it be the reverse and be part of a rainwater/grey water collection
system?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 11:38, Graeme wrote:

Near here (Aberdeenshire), a fairly rough 1930s bungalow sold a while
ago, and was promptly demolished, to be replaced by a new detached
house.Â* Not a rural site as such, although a rural location, but a road
of similar houses, mains drains and electricity.

OK to answer the question the policy in Belgium is that all houses that
can are required to have a septic tank so that they only discharge
liquid effluent into the drains. Saves them having to dig out fat bergs.

Customer has to pay to have their own septic tank pumped out if they are
careless about what they throw down the toilet. The junk never makes it
into the main sewer saving a lot of hassle for the authorities.

Following completion of the house, a large hole was dug in the rear
garden, with a huge digger.Â* Somewhere between 2x3 to 3x4 meters (I'm
nosing through the fence).Â* The spoil was then sieved using the digger
bucket, the hole lined with plastic tarpaulins, and the stones from the
sieving put in the bottom.Â* I missed what happened next, but the huge
pile of sieved spoil has gone, as has the hole BUT there are two
corrugated pipes protruding from the ex hole, with manhole type lids.
There was a trench from the house to the hole.Â* I cannot think what
could be in the hole other than a septic tank, but why install a septic
tank with mains drainage outside, or what else could it be?Â* Not enough
time elapsed to build a nuclear bunker!

It could also be a grey water tank for collecting rainwater off the roof
and drive. Our house in Belgium also had that refinement and I know a
few new builds where large tank rainwater collection has been added.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 16:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 16:03:00 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In message , Chris Hogg
writes

https://tinyurl.com/y5ypz7dx

Looking at the link supplied by Chris, the bits sticking out of the
ground look exactly like the illustration of a Klargester Gamma (top
row, 4th from right) although there are two of them, both black.

I don't walk the dog the same walk every day, so missed the bit between
a large hole and all covered, but I seriously doubt there was time for a
drainage field to be constructed, and not enough space anyway. I think
a soakaway for rainwater sounds promising, and will look for other clues
when next going past - but would a soakaway have those two corrugated
bits above ground level?

Something like this perhaps? https://tinyurl.com/y4ktvchk
Soakaways are commonly constructed with crates these days, a bit like
milk crates. https://tinyurl.com/y2bxykap The bits sticking up are
inspection covers, although what there is to inspect, I don't know.

to see when the soakaway is clogged with silt

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message

[...]

One of ours buried a 40' shipping container and grew marihuana in it under
lights.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 06:51:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

One of ours buried a 40' shipping container and grew marihuana in it under
lights.

Did he, senile idiot?

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes

Something like this perhaps? https://tinyurl.com/y4ktvchk

Chris, brilliant. Whilst I have no idea what is below ground level, the
two parts above ground look exactly like those visible in the garden.

So, the answer seems to be, it is a soakaway for rainwater, installed
because, now being a new build, the rainwater cannot enter the general
foul water sewer.

Thanks all!

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Why not ask the builder or owner?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many years ago I had an extra downpipe put on my house at the front when new
guttering was fitted as there are only down pipes into the sewer at the ends
of a terrace of four. The problem was the rain came over the top on my head
at the front door,. Its been there for many years and its loved by a large
flowering camelia planted there. A while back a council bloke comes around
and looks at it and says, that's not legal mate, it if you were fitting it
today that plant would come out and you would need a proper soak away or
pipe to the sewers there. I ignored him of course and nothing came of it,
and the shrub has continued to flourish!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
news
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, around my way new builds do have their rain going into gulleys which
run into the sewer via a drain, so although not connected the intention ii
so obviously that they should go that way.
I wonder if this is worrying the original poster, why not just be nosey and
ask? I think I would.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , Chris Hogg
writes

Something like this perhaps?
https://tinyurl.com/y4ktvchk

Chris, brilliant. Whilst I have no idea what is below ground level, the
two parts above ground look exactly like those visible in the garden.

So, the answer seems to be, it is a soakaway for rainwater, installed
because, now being a new build, the rainwater cannot enter the general
foul water sewer.

Thanks all!

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes

Brian, it isn't worrying me at all. I just wondered why a tank of any
description would be fitted, and now I know.

I wonder if this is worrying the original poster, why not just be nosey and
ask? I think I would.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes

Brian, it isn't worrying me at all. I just wondered why a tank of any
description would be fitted, and now I know.

I wonder if this is worrying the original poster, why not just be nosey and
ask? I think I would.

Looking up the planning application online may give an answer as well ,
most Councils have a search facility
to narrow down to an area though I suppose Scotland may have different
rules.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 4:08:37 PM UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message , Chris Hogg
writes

https://tinyurl.com/y5ypz7dx

Looking at the link supplied by Chris, the bits sticking out of the
ground look exactly like the illustration of a Klargester Gamma (top
row, 4th from right) although there are two of them, both black.

I don't walk the dog the same walk every day, so missed the bit between
a large hole and all covered, but I seriously doubt there was time for a
drainage field to be constructed, and not enough space anyway. I think
a soakaway for rainwater sounds promising, and will look for other clues
when next going past - but would a soakaway have those two corrugated
bits above ground level?

--
Graeme

Knock on the front door and ask ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Marland
writes

Looking up the planning application online may give an answer as well ,
most Councils have a search facility
to narrow down to an area though I suppose Scotland may have different
rules.

Thanks, but yes, I have already done that, but couldn't see anything
about drainage.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , FMurtz
writes

Why not ask the builder or owner?

I did :-) Caught a guy yesterday, and I was wrong. Whatever is
underground is nothing to do with soakaways or septic tanks, and is part
of the heating system, but that is as much as I know. All that can be
seen now is what looks like a couple of plastic manhole covers above
ground.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2019 09:39, Graeme wrote:
In message , FMurtz
writes

Why not ask the builder or owner?

I did :-)Â* Caught a guy yesterday, and I was wrong.Â* Whatever is
underground is nothing to do with soakaways or septic tanks, and is part
of the heating system, but that is as much as I know.Â* All that can be
seen now is what looks like a couple of plastic manhole covers above
ground.

Ground source heat pump then

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2019 09:39, Graeme wrote:
In message , FMurtz
writes

Why not ask the builder or owner?

I did :-)Â* Caught a guy yesterday, and I was wrong.Â* Whatever is
underground is nothing to do with soakaways or septic tanks, and is part
of the heating system, but that is as much as I know.Â* All that can be
seen now is what looks like a couple of plastic manhole covers above
ground.

I met this guy - and he looked like might have been
A hat check clerk at an ice rink
Which, in fact, he turned out to be. And I said:
Oh boy. Right again

Cheers
--
Clive