Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PU foam and PVC

Does PU foam react with PVC? I have a hole with a cable passing through it that I need to fill and it would be handy to use PU foam.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2019 19:21, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Does PU foam react with PVC? I have a hole with a cable passing through it that I need to fill and it would be handy to use PU foam.

Richard

To be on the safe side wrap bacofoil around the cable.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 September 2019 19:21:20 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Does PU foam react with PVC? I have a hole with a cable passing through it
that I need to fill and it would be handy to use PU foam.

AFAIK no, but it affects the thermal characteristics of the cable.

Polystyrene, OTOH, apparently does react adversley.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Virgin seem to have used some kind of silicon Sealant where their cable
comes through the wall.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 21/09/2019 19:21, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Does PU foam react with PVC? I have a hole with a cable passing through
it that I need to fill and it would be handy to use PU foam.

Richard

To be on the safe side wrap bacofoil around the cable.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know that PU foam does not affect uPVC but with cables using a more flexible type of PVC I was just wondering if it has the same effect as polystyrene?

The hole I am trying to fill without making a job of it is a ceiling hole where previously a rosette was. Although the lamp fitting I am putting there will cover the hole there is still a layer of the original vermiculate insulation below the rock wool and the stuff seems to fall through even the slightest of gaps especially with a bit of wind!

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 22 September 2019 10:19:38 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I know that PU foam does not affect uPVC but with cables using a more
flexible type of PVC I was just wondering if it has the same effect as
polystyrene?

I hope not as

The hole I am trying to fill without making a job of it is a ceiling hole
where previously a rosette was. Although the lamp fitting I am putting
there will cover the hole there is still a layer of the original
vermiculate insulation below the rock wool and the stuff seems to fall
through even the slightest of gaps especially with a bit of wind!

I've squirted all my ceiling cable entries in similar circumstances.

Owain