Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default REQUEST - very rough estimate of cost of a garden wall

On Thursday, 19 September 2019 14:42:11 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

Yes; I had seen the wall before, including before it had plants!

I just met a builder, by chance, who said that bricklaying costs at least £1 per brick, so I'll get a minimum value from the surface area of the proposed wall divided by the surface area of the side of a brick.

Wall say 60 feet long by 3 feet high by 2 sides = 360 sq ft. Leaning out of window with tape measure, brick+mortar is 9 ins by 3 ins, calculator says 360*144/27 = 1920 - for bricklaying alone ~ £2000 minimum.

Google swiftly finds that ordinary good bricks are about £1 each, so another £2000 for bricks. Then there's foundations, requiring digging up a 40-yr old unkempt hedge and I suppose pouring concrete, buying earth ....

Total, therefore, at least several thousand pounds. Any improvements for the above?

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 3:16:38 PM UTC+1, Dr S Lartius wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2019 14:42:11 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

Yes; I had seen the wall before, including before it had plants!

I just met a builder, by chance, who said that bricklaying costs at least £1 per brick, so I'll get a minimum value from the surface area of the proposed wall divided by the surface area of the side of a brick.

I suspect that price is all-in, for laying commons. No way does just the labour cost £1/brick unless a bricky is earning £500 a day nowadays..

Wall say 60 feet long by 3 feet high by 2 sides = 360 sq ft. Leaning out of window with tape measure, brick+mortar is 9 ins by 3 ins, calculator says 360*144/27 = 1920 - for bricklaying alone ~ £2000 minimum.

Google swiftly finds that ordinary good bricks are about £1 each, so another £2000 for bricks. Then there's foundations, requiring digging up a 40-yr old unkempt hedge and I suppose pouring concrete, buying earth ...

Total, therefore, at least several thousand pounds. Any improvements for the above?

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon Wrote in message:
Jim K... wrote:

Dr S Lartius Wrote in message:
A friend, in his travels, has seen the garden wall shown at

and wants a similar wall to be built where he now lives.

The wall is evidently mostly two thin brick walls, perhaps with ties between, and with a sufficient layer of earth at the top between, and something to hold that layer up, and maybe drainage - most of that is guessed. In the picture, it is growing little bushes.

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

Chris

So the returns on the gateposts mean there are two skins?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K... wrote:

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

So the returns on the gateposts mean there are two skins?

I'm not sure what screen you are using, but on my PC in the
middle of the shot you can see the second skin as it is visible
through a gap in the planting.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K... wrote:

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

So the returns on the gateposts mean there are two skins?

I'm not sure what screen you are using, but on my PC in the
middle of the shot you can see the second skin as it is visible
through a gap in the planting.

Chris

Ah..even more clearly visible now is the rendered block? inner
skin of the wall on the other side of the corner...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K... wrote:

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

So the returns on the gateposts mean there are two skins?

I'm not sure what screen you are using, but on my PC in the
middle of the shot you can see the second skin as it is visible
through a gap in the planting.

Chris

Or from here you can see the inside of the wall and the hedge now appears
outside indicating that its between walls.

https://goo.gl/maps/wSoQ23GvovQW2moB9

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:

Jim K... wrote:

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

So the returns on the gateposts mean there are two skins?

I'm not sure what screen you are using, but on my PC in the
middle of the shot you can see the second skin as it is visible
through a gap in the planting.

Chris

Or from here you can see the ?inside? of the wall and the hedge now appears
?outside? indicating that it?s between walls.

https://goo.gl/maps/wSoQ23GvovQW2moB9

As my last post presumably?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
Jim K... wrote:

Dr S Lartius Wrote in message:
A friend, in his travels, has seen the garden wall shown at

and wants a similar wall to be built where he now lives.

The wall is evidently mostly two thin brick walls, perhaps with ties
between, and with a sufficient layer of earth at the top between, and
something to hold that layer up, and maybe drainage - most of that is
guessed. In the picture, it is growing little bushes.

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

So the returns on the gateposts mean there are two skins?

Corse the buggers would have to put the street name all
over the bloody return on the only really visible gate post.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message

Jim K... wrote:

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

So the returns on the gateposts mean there are two skins?

I'm not sure what screen you are using, but on my PC in the
middle of the shot you can see the second skin as it is visible
through a gap in the planting.

Chris

Or from here you can see the inside of the wall and the hedge now
appears
outside indicating that its between walls.

https://goo.gl/maps/wSoQ23GvovQW2moB9

Just as well the owners dont get notified every time someone perves at his
wall.
Could get a bit paranoid about burglars casing the joint etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 05:59:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Oh, darn! Did you HAVE to **** also in this thread, you pesky bluebottle?

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 05:39:21 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Corse the buggers would have to put the street name all
over the bloody return on the only really visible gate post.

Nobody asked YOU anything, senile pest! So why do you keep answering
questions? LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 05:46:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

then again why did they bother?....

Habit without thought presumably.

Again: NOBODY asked YOU anything! So why do you keep answering people's
questions, you lonesome cantankerous senile idiot? BG

"Thats because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Somebody in my road seems to have put some terra cotter narrow planters on
top of a wall, tend not sure how, secured them to said wall with a tiny gap,
one assumes for drainage and then has plants that flow over the sides to
make it look like its all one wall.There are pillars at either end, as high
as the top of the planter. I suspect the issue they may have is when there
is little rain, but since I cannot see in detail these days, I'm not even
sure its still there. I had considered this myself, but it looked too much
like hard work or too much expense at the time. grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim K..." wrote in message
Dr S Lartius Wrote in message:
A friend, in his travels, has seen the garden wall shown at

and wants a similar wall to be built where he now lives.

The wall is evidently mostly two thin brick walls, perhaps with ties
between, and with a sufficient layer of earth at the top between, and
something to hold that layer up, and maybe drainage - most of that is
guessed. In the picture, it is growing little bushes.

We would like to know VERY ROUGHLY what the cost might be for 20 metres
of such a wall, with earth but not plants, so as to choose between "We
can easily afford that", "We must investigate further", and "Far too
expensive, we'll do something else".

Failing that, we would like to know what that sort of wall is properly
called, to help with our Google/Wikipedia research.

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article becde371-3516-40a5-a073-20ce5607a623
@googlegroups.com, says...

A friend, in his travels, has seen the garden wall shown at

and wants a similar wall to be built where he now lives.

A much simpler link for such posts is

https://goo.gl/maps/uqT5pfYLx2RgUUwZ8

Just click on the three dots to the right of the street adress
and select 'Share or embed image'. Then copy the link

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

View of the end of the wall, showng construction:

https://goo.gl/maps/Bz5Kv5vdWoa3qN6RA

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2019 15:42, Terry Casey wrote:

View of the end of the wall, showng construction:

https://goo.gl/maps/Bz5Kv5vdWoa3qN6RA

I'm intrigued now. What is it about the house next door (across the side
road) that has led Google to blur it all out?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

On 20/09/2019 15:42, Terry Casey wrote:

View of the end of the wall, showng construction:

https://goo.gl/maps/Bz5Kv5vdWoa3qN6RA

I'm intrigued now. What is it about the house next door (across the side
road) that has led Google to blur it all out?

The owner has told Google that they mustn't show their
property in detail. There are often gaps in the Google
coverage.

For example, I was preparing a map for a CAMRA pub crawl a few
months ago but a section of road over 300m long gidn't exist.
You could approach from the south but when you gor so far,
that was it. The same coming from the north. I try to make the
map as accurate as possible butcouldn't find the precise
location for the pub. I found it on on Open Streetmap and
guess what? There was a primary school directly opposite!

I looked at various other schools in the area and no problem,
so it was obviouly blocked following a specific demand.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2019 14:42, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jim K... wrote:

Dr S Lartius Wrote in message:
A friend, in his travels, has seen the garden wall shown at

and wants a similar wall to be built where he now lives.

The wall is evidently mostly two thin brick walls, perhaps with ties between, and with a sufficient layer of earth at the top between, and something to hold that layer up, and maybe drainage - most of that is guessed. In the picture, it is growing little bushes.

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

Chris

I think it looks horrible though. I'd wonder whether it is full of
earth, or just has a trough at the top. If I *were* building such a
thing I'd be inclined to make it from 9 inch blocks with a brick facing
at the front only.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Jim K... wrote:

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

So the returns on the gateposts mean there are two skins?

I'm not sure what screen you are using, but on my PC in the
middle of the shot you can see the second skin as it is visible
through a gap in the planting.

Chris

Ah..even more clearly visible now is the rendered block? inner
skin of the wall on the other side of the corner...

So basically it's a big plant pot?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

View of the end of the wall, showng construction:

https://goo.gl/maps/Bz5Kv5vdWoa3qN6RA

The tops of the gate posts are very clumsily done.

It would have been much better to just leave those bricks off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote
Terry Casey wrote

https://goo.gl/maps/Bz5Kv5vdWoa3qN6RA

I'm intrigued now. What is it about the house next door (across the side
road) that has led Google to blur it all out?

Thats where the street view camera car driver lives, silly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 14:44:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I'm intrigued now. What is it about the house next door (across the side
road) that has led Google to blur it all out?

Thats where the street view camera car driver lives, silly.

Oh, no! Not yet more of your senile "humour", you humourless, senile troll!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 14:35:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

View of the end of the wall, showng construction:

https://goo.gl/maps/Bz5Kv5vdWoa3qN6RA

The tops of the gate posts are very clumsily done.

It would have been much better to just leave those bricks off.

Translation: "I would have done it much better, as usual! Why does nobody
ever ask me first"!

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

@googlegroups.com, SL says...

A friend, in his travels, has seen the garden wall shown at

and wants a similar wall to be built where he now lives.

A much simpler link for such posts is

https://goo.gl/maps/uqT5pfYLx2RgUUwZ8

Just click on the three dots to the right of the street adress
and select 'Share or embed image'. Then copy the link.

Thanks. I used to know how to do that, before Maps was "improved". In Map view, use the three dashes to the left of the address, and select similarly.

Q1. Is it expected that the condensed form will give the same result for as long as Google Maps exists?

Q2. How do they arrange that, when I drop the little man in Maps onto a location, the initial View is always facing in the opposite direction to what I want?

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I think it looks horrible though. I'd wonder whether it is full of
earth, or just has a trough at the top. If I *were* building such a
thing I'd be inclined to make it from 9 inch blocks with a brick facing
at the front only.

This one near me looks like it would be strong enough to protect
an embassy:

https://goo.gl/maps/9WAtip1tAgxFSgE28

To my eye is simply seems out of scale for its position, and is
only slightly "softened by the planting".

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 September 2019 21:13:17 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

So basically it's a big plant pot?

Yes; but it also obstructs access and viewing.

I have suggested to Google Maps that their Satellite view should offer Summer and Winter versions, since the latter would show what is at land level substantially better.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 0689425f-343d-404e-89ba-63d7bd38b071
@googlegroups.com, says...

A much simpler link for such posts is

https://goo.gl/maps/uqT5pfYLx2RgUUwZ8

Just click on the three dots to the right of the street adress
and select 'Share or embed image'. Then copy the link.

Thanks. I used to know how to do that, before Maps was "improved". In Map view, use the three dashes to the left of the address, and select similarly.

Q1. Is it expected that the condensed form will give the same result for as long as Google Maps exists?

Yes. But if you have your line length set to the generally
accepted line length of 80 characters, the link fits neatly
into one line.

The long link breaks at the end of the line, so doesn't work
without some repair work or using tinyurl (or similar).

Q2. How do they arrange that, when I drop the little man in Maps onto a location, the initial View is always facing in the opposite direction to what I want?

I think it is purely random but you are obviously unlucky!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/09/2019 16:10, Andrew May wrote:
On 20/09/2019 15:42, Terry Casey wrote:

View of the end of the wall, showng construction:

https://goo.gl/maps/Bz5Kv5vdWoa3qN6RA

I'm intrigued now. What is it about the house next door (across the side
road) that has led Google to blur it all out?

People can request it.

There are 3 houses blocked here. Although Google did not do a good job
of it at you can see the house on Princeport Road from the photo taken
on Essexport Road.

https://goo.gl/maps/MLaaxAv1Z8Ci82TXA

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/09/2019 16:11, ARW wrote:
On 20/09/2019 16:10, Andrew May wrote:
On 20/09/2019 15:42, Terry Casey wrote:

View of the end of the wall, showng construction:

https://goo.gl/maps/Bz5Kv5vdWoa3qN6RA

I'm intrigued now. What is it about the house next door (across the
side road) that has led Google to blur it all out?

People can request it.

There are 3 houses blocked here. Although Google did not do a good job
of it at you can see the house on Princeport Road from the photo taken
on Essexport Road.

https://goo.gl/maps/MLaaxAv1Z8Ci82TXA

Sorry two houses not three.

There is a good cafe a few hundred metres away (that how I Googled the
place) as I was working nearby.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 September 2019 12:49:35 UTC+1, Terry Casey wrote:
In article 0689425f-343d-404e-89ba-63d7bd38b071
@googlegroups.com, SL says...

A much simpler link for such posts is

https://goo.gl/maps/uqT5pfYLx2RgUUwZ8

Just click on the three dots to the right of the street adress
and select 'Share or embed image'. Then copy the link.

Thanks. I used to know how to do that, before Maps was
"improved". In Map view, use the three dashes to the
left of the address, and select similarly.

Q1. Is it expected that the condensed form will give
the same result for as long as Google Maps exists?

Yes. But if you have your line length set to the generally
accepted line length of 80 characters, the link fits neatly
into one line.

The long link breaks at the end of the line, so doesn't work
without some repair work or using tinyurl (or similar).

In News, the lifetime of the link is not of great importance.
But I often write in HTML (because I know enough of HTML
better than I do of my other non-plaintext systems) and
there line-length does not matter but longevity does.

I have now remembered that when considering the cost of a wall, one
should also consider its effect on the resale vale of the property.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |

Rough estimate on overall cost of 100 sq ft shed versus having onedelivered mmendozabn Home Repair 9 July 6th 11 01:29 AM
Rough estimate LSMFT Home Repair 33 May 14th 10 01:08 PM
Rough estimate of combined wattage diy-newby UK diy 2 December 3rd 07 02:12 PM
Painting rough estimate trs80 Home Repair 7 December 4th 06 10:25 PM
Rough estimate of new furnace/AC and water heater costs Me Home Repair 2 August 27th 04 02:06 PM