Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central heating - that time again

We are heading for a cool week with maximum outside temperatures forecast
to be around 14C to 16C.

In spring this would, to me, be a sign that it was still too early to turn
off the CH.

In autumn it feels as though the extra jumper route is appropriate for the
moment.

I know that some people leave the CH on year round on the sensible
argument that they maintain a constant indoor temperature so why ever turn
it off?

I seem to have a few mental hang ups about temperature; for example if we
have hot days and cold nights it doesn't feel right to heat the house
overnight then throw the doors wide open during the day to allow that
expensive heated air to flow out.

I think if I know that it is going to be eventually warm without the CH I
am reluctant to turn it on. If it is cold and miserable outside I seem to
want a higher average temperature inside. Not logical (as in wear a
jumper) but then I can probably afford the extra gas to raise the inside
temperature to 20C (or a bit more) so the house is toasty when I come in
from the cold.

We also have significant solar gain at the back of the house so at the
moment 50% of the house is around 22-24C and the other half at around
18-19C. Noting that I did try the experiment to move the hot air to the
cold rooms but couldn't achieve a high enough flow rate with extractor fan
technology. I think you would need industrial size air ducts (the kind
people crawl along inside in films) to achieve an adequate rate of air
exchange.

No doubt things will get slowly colder during the week as heat outflow is
greater than heat inflow over a number of days.

For those who turn the CH off in the summer, is it CH on time again?
I assume some of those in the NW have already passed that point.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2019 11:57, David wrote:
For those who turn the CH off in the summer, is it CH on time again?
I assume some of those in the NW have already passed that point.

I lit the Aga a few weeks ago and ran the UFH for te first time yesrday
- today it is sunny enough to not need it.

Also seem to have first cold of the autumn.

Glad I got the woodshed (almost) finished..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
[...]

Jumper in the day and electric blanket in bed the last couple of
nights, I haven't had the urge to turn the CH on
yet.
--
__
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
writes

For those who turn the CH off in the summer, is it CH on time again?
I assume some of those in the NW have already passed that point.

NE here, rather than NW. First (light) frost this morning, so
downstairs heating on for an hour to take the chill off. Front of the
house faces SW, with large bay windows which capture the sun (and heat)
from late morning to sunset, but temp will drop after sunset, so
downstairs heating will be on for an hour early/mid evening. Upstairs
heating for half an hour before bedtime.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David
wrote:
[...]

we turned ours on the day before yesterday.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
I seem to have a few mental hang ups about temperature; for example if
we have hot days and cold nights it doesn't feel right to heat the
house overnight then throw the doors wide open during the day to allow
that expensive heated air to flow out.

Perhaps you need to investigate proper temperature control if your house
can get too hot due to the CH being on.

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
I seem to have a few mental hang ups about temperature; for example if
we have hot days and cold nights it doesn't feel right to heat the
house overnight then throw the doors wide open during the day to allow
that expensive heated air to flow out.

Perhaps you need to investigate proper temperature control if your house
can get too hot due to the CH being on.

I think that he was saying that is seems wasteful to heat the house at
night and then when it is warmed further by the sun in the morning, be
opening doors and windows to let the hot air out, when he could stay
warmer in the evening by wearing more and let the house warm up
naturally the next day.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
I seem to have a few mental hang ups about temperature; for example if
we have hot days and cold nights it doesn't feel right to heat the
house overnight then throw the doors wide open during the day to allow
that expensive heated air to flow out.

Perhaps you need to investigate proper temperature control if your house
can get too hot due to the CH being on.

I think that he was saying that is seems wasteful to heat the house at
night and then when it is warmed further by the sun in the morning, be
opening doors and windows to let the hot air out, when he could stay
warmer in the evening by wearing more and let the house warm up
naturally the next day.

I'd say it's always wasteful to heat the house at night. And a decent
system will compensate if it suddenly gets warm outside during the morning.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have gone half way. This morning a few mins with a fan heater and a oil
filled heater upstairs. When it gets a lot colder I guess it will be storage
heater time again.
Looking at the bills though, it might actually be better to go nocturnal,
and just live awake overnight as whether its dark or light makes little
difference to me except for phone calls and shopping most of the time!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 12:35:32 +0100, Graeme wrote:

For those who turn the CH off in the summer, is it CH on time

again?
I assume some of those in the NW have already passed that point.

Never turn it off, thermal mass of the place means you really don't
want it to cool down or it'll take days to warm back up to
comfortable again.

NE here, rather than NW. First (light) frost this morning,

Not surprised, the "snowflake" was lit up on the cars dashboard
almost all the way to Newcastle this morning. Beautifully clear sky,
Milky Way cleary visible, without properly dark adpated eyes, as I
got into the car at 0430. Bit of an inversion around Whitfield in the
Allen valley where the air temp got down to 1C, higher up it was 3 or
4 C.

It's certainly getting cooler, days with no demand for heat:

Sep 18: 1
Oct 18: 0
Jan 19: 0
Feb 19: 0
Mar 19: 0
Apr 19: 6
May 19: 3
Jun 19: 4
Jul 19: 16
Aug 19: 8
Sep 19: 0 (so far...)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2019 11:57, David wrote:
We are heading for a cool week with maximum outside temperatures forecast
to be around 14C to 16C.

In spring this would, to me, be a sign that it was still too early to turn
off the CH.

In autumn it feels as though the extra jumper route is appropriate for the
moment.

I know that some people leave the CH on year round on the sensible
argument that they maintain a constant indoor temperature so why ever turn
it off?

Indeed, I leave mine running (with weather compensation and a
programmable stat) all the time.

I seem to have a few mental hang ups about temperature; for example if we
have hot days and cold nights it doesn't feel right to heat the house
overnight then throw the doors wide open during the day to allow that
expensive heated air to flow out.

Here is where a programmable stat helps, such that it can select
different temperatures for different times of day. I have my overnight
setback temp set at 15 degrees, and that generally means that the CH
won't fire (for heating) at all in the night anyway.

I also find that weather compensation works very well at this time of
year, since you are hardly even aware of the CH starting to kick in. It
will run very gently in the morning with a flow temp that might only be
40 degrees or so, and then remain off for the rest of the day.

For those who turn the CH off in the summer, is it CH on time again?
I assume some of those in the NW have already passed that point.

I noticed that mine was starting to heat the upstairs rads a bit in the
morning about a week ago or so.

I guess if I had to do it manually, I might of waited a week, although
that is a difficult call since I don't know how cold it would have felt
without that little bit of heating in the morning.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
I seem to have a few mental hang ups about temperature; for example if
we have hot days and cold nights it doesn't feel right to heat the
house overnight then throw the doors wide open during the day to allow
that expensive heated air to flow out.

Perhaps you need to investigate proper temperature control if your house
can get too hot due to the CH being on.

I think that he was saying that is seems wasteful to heat the house at
night and then when it is warmed further by the sun in the morning, be
opening doors and windows to let the hot air out, when he could stay
warmer in the evening by wearing more and let the house warm up
naturally the next day.

I'd say it's always wasteful to heat the house at night.

Not when you stay up late and someone else gets up early.

And a decent
system will compensate if it suddenly gets warm outside during the morning.

The point is that keeping the house warm overnight or heating it up in
the morning seems wasteful if the sun does the job by itself later in
the morning.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 September 2019 11:57:31 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
[...]

Haven't even seriously thought about it yet. Bedrooms are cooler but beds are perfectly warm enough after a few minutes.

Main reason we do tend to get round to turning it on is when it is damp out there.

Biggest reason to be thoughtful is that we so often open the garden room doors to outside and that then triggers the heating to come on - usually unnecessarily until it is much cooler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I think that he was saying that is seems wasteful to heat the house at
night and then when it is warmed further by the sun in the morning, be
opening doors and windows to let the hot air out, when he could stay
warmer in the evening by wearing more and let the house warm up
naturally the next day.

I'd say it's always wasteful to heat the house at night.

Not when you stay up late and someone else gets up early.

In this case night generally means a time when people are in bed.

And a decent
system will compensate if it suddenly gets warm outside during the morning.

The point is that keeping the house warm overnight or heating it up in
the morning seems wasteful if the sun does the job by itself later in
the morning.

OK. So you prefer to freeze when getting up early?

--
*They told me I had type-A blood, but it was a Type-O.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I think that he was saying that is seems wasteful to heat the house at
night and then when it is warmed further by the sun in the morning, be
opening doors and windows to let the hot air out, when he could stay
warmer in the evening by wearing more and let the house warm up
naturally the next day.

I'd say it's always wasteful to heat the house at night.

Not when you stay up late and someone else gets up early.

In this case night generally means a time when people are in bed.

And a decent
system will compensate if it suddenly gets warm outside during the morning.

The point is that keeping the house warm overnight or heating it up in
the morning seems wasteful if the sun does the job by itself later in
the morning.

OK. So you prefer to freeze when getting up early?

No, I prefer to heat it, but the David was saying that he felt it
wasteful and you replied "Perhaps you need to investigate proper
temperature control if your house can get too hot due to the CH being
on" which was not what I read the post as being about and I was simply
stating why he might have felt it wasteful.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve Walker
In article , Steve Walker
In article , David
wrote:
[...]

Knowingb it's going to be warm at 10am, doesn't make you warm at 6.30am.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 September 2019 00:05:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

OK. So you prefer to freeze when getting up early?

I used to hate waking up with ice on the inside of the windows, but as a kid you don't get to choose.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 9 September 2019 00:05:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

OK. So you prefer to freeze when getting up early?

I used to hate waking up with ice on the inside of the windows, but as a
kid you don't get to choose.

When you woke up with the hot water bottle frozen you had something to
moan about. ;-)

--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
In article , Steve Walker
In article , David
wrote:
[...]

Quite - if the sun starts to warm up the house later in the morning, even
a simple system should accommodate for this. A weather compensated one
rather more efficiently.

--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2019 12:35, Graeme wrote:
In message , David
writes

For those who turn the CH off in the summer, is it CH on time again?
I assume some of those in the NW have already passed that point.

NE here, rather than NW.Â* First (light) frost this morning, so
downstairs heating on for an hour to take the chill off.Â* Front of the
house faces SW, with large bay windows which capture the sun (and heat)
from late morning to sunset, but temp will drop after sunset, so
downstairs heating will be on for an hour early/mid evening.Â* Upstairs
heating for half an hour before bedtime.

I'm still wearing shorts in Sussex. Nice warm/hot day
yesterday. Got the top dulux weathershield coat on the
windows and restained the patio door hardwood surround.

Even found an old pre-VOC2010 half-used tin of Weathersheild
white gloss in perfect condition (I always invert the tin after
use having carefully cleaned all round the mating edges of
tin and lid which I also seal with smear of linseed oil).

Today it absolutely ****ed down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2019 12:44, charles wrote:
In article , David
wrote:
[...]

The Jet Stream forecast suggests the coming weekend will be an Indian
Summer.

It will be the local Harvest Festival Village Fete on Sep 28th, and
since it started about 15 years ago, they have never had bad weather,
and usually nice and warm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2019 09:04, charles wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
In article , Steve Walker
In article , David
wrote:
[...]

So stay in bed until later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
In article , Steve Walker
In article , David
wrote:
[...]

We know that, but he was talkign about solar gain being so high that he
had to open windows. Then the argument becomes do you put up with a few
hours of cold or use fuel to heat the house just to get over those few
hours.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Quite - if the sun starts to warm up the house later in the morning, even
a simple system should accommodate for this. A weather compensated one
rather more efficiently.

We know that, but he was talkign about solar gain being so high that he
had to open windows. Then the argument becomes do you put up with a few
hours of cold or use fuel to heat the house just to get over those few
hours.

It would be a very odd house where solar gain happens that quickly.

--
*IF ONE SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMER DROWNS, DO THE REST DROWN TOO?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 16:58:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Quite - if the sun starts to warm up the house later in the morning,
even a simple system should accommodate for this. A weather
compensated one rather more efficiently.

We know that, but he was talkign about solar gain being so high that he
had to open windows. Then the argument becomes do you put up with a few
hours of cold or use fuel to heat the house just to get over those few
hours.

It would be a very odd house where solar gain happens that quickly.

Modern, perhaps?

Large area of bifolds and 3 roof lights, all South facing, does trap a lot
of heat very quickly on a sunny day.

Even more so in Spring and Autumn when the sun is lower in the sky and
shines further into the room.

Oh, and modern insulation as well.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
It would be a very odd house where solar gain happens that quickly.

Modern, perhaps?

Large area of bifolds and 3 roof lights, all South facing, does trap a
lot of heat very quickly on a sunny day.

Quicker than a thermostat can shut the heating down?

Of course no matter what the starting temperature, solar gain can make
that room too hot quite quickly. Best to get some blinds, etc.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
It would be a very odd house where solar gain happens that quickly.

Modern, perhaps?

Large area of bifolds and 3 roof lights, all South facing, does trap a
lot of heat very quickly on a sunny day.

Quicker than a thermostat can shut the heating down?

No-one is saying that the CH won't switch off, only that it is a choice
between heating the house for a few hours or putting up with the cold
until solar gain warms it up a few hours later anyway.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Quite - if the sun starts to warm up the house later in the morning,
even
a simple system should accommodate for this. A weather compensated one
rather more efficiently.

We know that, but he was talkign about solar gain being so high that he
had to open windows. Then the argument becomes do you put up with a few
hours of cold or use fuel to heat the house just to get over those few
hours.

It would be a very odd house where solar gain happens that quickly.

Or one that is designed to do that, like mine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 09:21:34 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:11:24 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

It would be a very odd house where solar gain happens that quickly.

Or one that is designed to do that, like mine.

You can shove your "house" up yours, senile asshole!

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
It would be a very odd house where solar gain happens that quickly.

Modern, perhaps?

Large area of bifolds and 3 roof lights, all South facing, does trap a
lot of heat very quickly on a sunny day.

Quicker than a thermostat can shut the heating down?

No-one is saying that the CH won't switch off, only that it is a choice
between heating the house for a few hours or putting up with the cold
until solar gain warms it up a few hours later anyway.

Ah. Right. Bit of a non question, then.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
It would be a very odd house where solar gain happens that quickly.

Modern, perhaps?

Large area of bifolds and 3 roof lights, all South facing, does trap a
lot of heat very quickly on a sunny day.

Quicker than a thermostat can shut the heating down?

Of course no matter what the starting temperature, solar gain can make
that room too hot quite quickly. Best to get some blinds, etc.

My 1976 house faces south and the solar gain affects the internal
house temperature very quickly.

With a 37 degree roof pitch and no dormers it would be ideal for
solar panels, but the economics don't add up (unless we are all
forced into demand pricing and paying £1 per KwH at peak times.)