DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Spur off a spur? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/639611-spur-off-spur.html)

S Viemeister[_2_] September 6th 19 02:31 PM

Spur off a spur?

Is it permissable/advisable to connect an electric towel bar using a
fused spur, connected to a spur? That's what our electrician intends to
do, and it doesn't sound right to me (I'm hoping he's right, and I'm wrong.)

Andy Burns[_13_] September 6th 19 03:49 PM

Spur off a spur?

S Viemeister wrote:

Is it permissable/advisable to connect an electric towel bar using a
fused spur, connected to a spur? That's what our electrician intends to
do, and it doesn't sound right to me (I'm hoping he's right, and I'm
wrong.)

A spur off a *fused* spur is OK ...

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. September 6th 19 05:16 PM

Spur off a spur?

Andy Burns pretended :
A spur off a *fused* spur is OK ...

On the fused side, but not from the unfused side only protected by the
32amp MCB!

Tricky Dicky[_4_] September 6th 19 05:26 PM

Spur off a spur?

Don't know what the wiring regs say about it at the end of the day adding say another double socket to an existing one on a spur is no different than plugging in a four socket extension lead into a socket. I suppose if you feed your spur off a FCU then you can control the maximum current drawn by whatever you plug in by what type of fuse you put in the FCU making sure it is below the rated maximum for the cable.

I have seen it done, in our first house a 1975 build there was a spur in a studded wall that ended with a faceplate in the the two bedooms either side and it was simply spurred off a socket on the landing and it was the original wiring done by the builders.

Richard

Andrew[_22_] September 6th 19 05:49 PM

Spur off a spur?

On 06/09/2019 17:26, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Don't know what the wiring regs say about it at the end of the day adding say another double socket to an existing one on a spur is no different than plugging in a four socket extension lead into a socket. I suppose if you feed your spur off a FCU then you can control the maximum current drawn by whatever you plug in by what type of fuse you put in the FCU making sure it is below the rated maximum for the cable.

I have seen it done, in our first house a 1975 build there was a spur in a studded wall that ended with a faceplate in the the two bedooms either side and it was simply spurred off a socket on the landing and it was the original wiring done by the builders.

Richard

Probably done after first fit before the house had exchanged contracts.

prospective purchaser asked for extra sockets and it could have
been any of the site workers who did it, and not necessarily a
qualified electrician.

ARW September 6th 19 07:02 PM

Spur off a spur?

On 06/09/2019 15:49, Andy Burns wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:

Is it permissable/advisable to connect an electric towel bar using a
fused spur, connected to a spur? That's what our electrician intends
to do, and it doesn't sound right to me (I'm hoping he's right, and
I'm wrong.)

A spur off a *fused* spur is OK ...

And it's probably a "safe deviation" from the regs from a unfused spur

--
Adam

Andy Burns[_13_] September 6th 19 07:42 PM

Spur off a spur?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andy Burns pretended :

A spur off a *fused* spur is OK ...

On the fused side, but not from the unfused side only protected by the
32amp MCB!

Then that wouldn't be what I'd call "off"

ARW September 6th 19 08:22 PM

Spur off a spur?

On 06/09/2019 17:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns pretended :
A spur off a *fused* spur is OK ...

On the fused side, but not from the unfused side only protected by the
32amp MCB!

And the protection offered by the known loads.

--
Adam

John Rumm September 6th 19 08:39 PM

Spur off a spur?

On 06/09/2019 14:31, S Viemeister wrote:

Is it permissable/advisable to connect an electric towel bar using a
fused spur, connected to a spur? That's what our electrician intends to
do, and it doesn't sound right to me (I'm hoping he's right, and I'm
wrong.)

For a general purpose socket spur, then yes but only if both sockets are
protected by the fused spur.

With a specific known load - like a towel rail fed from a flex outlet,
then it might also be acceptable from an unfused spur if you can show
that there is not possibility of overload.

--
Cheers,

John.